VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
any noticeable increase in sound after doing the downpipe and software? its kinda tough to hear the exhaust note in that video...sounds great tho kinda like mine :beer:
FYI the video was without the downpipe installed. Software didn't add any noticeable change in sound that I could tell.

The addition of the downpipe adds a couple notable changes in sound :

1) Inside the cabin, the turbo is more audible. Especially the high frequencies.

2) The CBFA engine's SAI always winds up injecting air into the exhaust stream when the engine starts cold. (It sounds like a shop vac if you have the hood popped) and goes for about 20 seconds or so. The stock pipe keeps this pretty quiet so its not that audible through the exhaust. But the 3" downpipe amplifies this and its very obvious outside the vehicle. So for the first 20 seconds after a cold start, its got a noticeable rumble. But once that shuts off, its very close to stock.

I will see if I can whip up another video with the pipe on and see if the difference comes across on the recording.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
100 Posts
damn i jealous i really wanna do both these mods and i just found out i have the CBFA also, i really don't kno what exact ally it means i think it is just california compliant.. but my other question is would non cbfa beat a cbfa due to the extra restrictions

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
damn i jealous i really wanna do both these mods and i just found out i have the CBFA also, i really don't kno what exact ally it means i think it is just california compliant.. but my other question is would non cbfa beat a cbfa due to the extra restrictions
There should be no performance differences between them (except the couple pounds of weight?) - the CBFA just pumps air into the exhaust to warm up the cat on a cold start, and adds another O2 sensor, so not much to hit performance.....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

21 - 23 of 23 Posts