VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I used to frequent this forum back when I had a '95 Jetta GL and later traded that for a '96 Jetta GLX.

'95 Jetta GL - Traded for the Jetta GLX.

'96 Jetta GLX - Sold it in Oct 2003 to buy a house.

After selling the GLX, I've had a few other cars.
'92 Corrado VR6 - Sold it before moving to Vegas in 2006. The current owner REALLY did it up!

'05 Ultrasport Avant - Sold it in 2007 to get a Touareg.

'04 Touareg - Sold it in May 2008 because gas prices were crazy!!!

'08 Rabbit - Returned it after the lease was over.

Now the reason for this post, my bestfriend recently texts me a picture of a white Golf and asked if I wanted it. Without hesitation I said yes!!! It sat in the PO's garage for a year not working and he wanted it out of his garage. So after filling out a Bill of Sale, we towed it to my house.

Here's what I saw when I opened the hood!!! :eek:

I'm more of a bolt-on kind of guy and all of my projects were running vehicles. I said to myself for my next project car, whatever it'll be, I wanted to get my hands dirty and really test myself. With this project, I'm going to learn how to weld, do my own maintenance and body work. The plan is to first get her started and running reliable, after that get her looking good!

06/04/11 - Day 1
Removed the front clip and I cleaned out the interior, it was really filthy!!!

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Future exterior
- Shave the emblem and rear wiper.
- Euro bumpers front and rear. I want smooth tops, but the wife loves the textured look, so we'll see.
- Jetta front with badgeless grill. The wife loves the Golf front, so again we'll see. Starting to see a pattern. :what:

Future interior
- Hopefully source a stock black GLX leather interior.

Future suspension
- Air

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Future exterior
- Shave the emblem and rear wiper.
- Euro bumpers front and rear. I want smooth tops, but the wife loves the textured look, so we'll see.
- Jetta front with badgeless grill. The wife loves the Golf front, so again we'll see. Starting to see a pattern. :what:

Future interior
- Hopefully source a stock black GLX leather interior.

Future suspension
- Air
This should be the wife's project! :p

PS. Find another color! :eek::p

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Vr swap!!!!!

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
subscribed!
:thumbup:

^^^LMAO. Best update yet! =P
:p

Vr swap!!!!!
I would love to!!! :(

Planning on a 5spd swap? :popcorn:
This I have decided. The auto tranny is shot and why spend the money on repairing it when I could spend it on other more important stuff!

beautiful past collection there. looks like you picked up a wife and kids along the way :D
Yes I have and thanks for the kind words!

06/25/11 - Day 3
Sorry for the very slow build, but I'm doing this build slowly anyway. Like mentioned above, I've decided to convert from auto to manual. Parts have been sourced, ordered and purchased. Waiting for parts is the worst! I'll be picking up the original ABA that was in it and see what I can do with it. ;)

So for the mean time, I pulled the ECU, engine harness from the fusebox and sold the ABA to a cool local MKII guy.

Luckily this Golf was originally from Arizona then brought to Las Vegas. So far rust is no where to be found! I won't be going crazy under the hood with wire tucks, smooth this and smooth that, I'm just going to clean it, respray it and bring it back close to factory.

Sprayed some purple power just to see what was under the grime.

Freebie cleans up well! Does anyone know what's involved to delete the EVAP stuff?

1 - 20 of 135 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.