VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am restoring a MK2 golf at the minute and the bumpers and trim are really badly faded.
I've done my research and the two most popular solutions seem to be olive oil or Autoglym Rubber and Vinyl care (or similar products).
Anyone got any experience of either or got any other suggestions?
Cheers.

· Registered
11,491 Posts
Re: (JrodVW)

Quote, originally posted by JrodVW »
See answer above? I'm telling you all these gels and dyes are just temporary fixes......

I guess the Forever Black is temporary if lasting over a year on my B5.5 temporary ..
Have you actually used Forever Black?

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (JrodVW)

Quote, originally posted by JrodVW »
See answer above? I'm telling you all these gels and dyes are just temporary fixes......

I'm guessing you know what you're talking about bud. You obviously feel pretty stongly about the leather dye but i've already paid for the forever black and i have one satisfied user. If it lasts for a year that would be more than good enough.
Cheers anyway for the advice.

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not one for quick fixess mate so i'll give both a go. Cheers again for your input.
PS. I also have a mk1 gti, a b3 passat and a mk1 driver with similar problems so i have plenty of scope for trying different methods.

· Registered
361 Posts
go with forever black, recommended by BMW for their moldings, so i would assume same for VW since its just plastic crap anyway, but it works amazing. yes it does wear off, in about 2 years or so, or a year if you wash your car CONSTANTLY

· Registered
12,706 Posts
Re: (jamesflarity)

Quote, originally posted by jamesflarity »
I prefer mothers back-to-black. works extremely well.
I find that it works extremely horrible and isn't worth the money.
To the OP, if I were you, I would paint that. A dye will make it look better, but for such a faded trim, I would paint it. It will make it look brand new and it will be permanant. DupliColor Trim Paint is great for this situation and can be found in most automotive stores.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.