VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every now and then, after I lift my foot from the brake pedal, it comes up about a 1/2 to 1/4 inch from fully returned. This causes my brake lights to stay on while I'm not actually braking. I remember heearing it may have something to do with a spring in the pedal assembly. Anyone know anything about this or how to fix it? thanks....

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: my brake pedal doesn't return to normal (Zinc)

I know my question isn't about side skirts or shift knobs or wheels, but someone has got to know...

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

Check your connection at your vacume Booster, this is what your master cylinder connects to. With the car running look at the vacume line that run to the booster, check it for a leak , if it is leaking you will hear It. Does the car stop or is the pedal just going to the floor and you don't have any brakes. Does your car have ABS? Which light is on the red brake light or the amber ABS light or both. Both lights should come on when you start the car letting you know the ABS ( if equiped ) is working. Check the Brake fluid, add if needed ( but only DOT 4 ). Look at the fluid with a flash light and see if you have any oil bubbles from contamination. Do you have any Brake fluid on your driveway? We need to know more details to help you with your problem, from what you put in your post it sounds like the vacume booster, but there are too many unknowns to give you a correct answer.

·
Registered
683 Posts

Is it binding on something? It shouldn't take hardly any pressure to manually return it. If nothing is binding it, yea it could be the spring. That sounds weird though. A brake pedal return spring doesn't take much abuse. It could be the master cylinder causing too much friction for the spring to pull it back, but if your brakes work fine, I think I'd look for a new spring or possibly a stronger one if the new one doesn't help. Certainly check for a wire or something in the way first.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: my brake pedal doesn't return to normal (Corrado2NV)

Yeah, the car stops fine. I'm talking about the brake lights in the back of the car, not the ones in the dash. The fluid is fine, no bubbles.
It only takes a gentle flick of the toe to return the pedal to its normal resting position, so its not really binding...

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

Check the brake switch on your pedal. It will be at the top part of the pedal. Check to see if the switch has been pushed back, It may just need readjusted. it should just clip into place. You may have a bad swich if adjusting it doesn't fix it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts