VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brakes have started to make a loud moaning noise at slow speeds (crawling) when lightly applied. I don't hear it at higher speeds, when braking harder, or when reversing. I started hearing a little bit a few days ago but today was pretty loud. I was hoping it would go away. I only have 700 km on the car, and it's a TDI HL. I think it's coming from the rear. Any idea what it could be or if I need to take it in?

·
Registered
271 Posts
LMAO :laugh: WOW

Is this a joke?

For real tho i would just take it in, if the dealer is any good you should be in and out in an hour.

If you can't make it to the dealer get some brake clean and a buddy, drive slowly and spray the rotor. if this does nothing then you should take it in.

BUT come on that is one hell of a funny sound. :beer:

·
Registered
909 Posts
ROFL!!!!!!!!....I cant stop laughing!

I have never heard of such sound before made by a car. Take your car to a dealer and have them look at it.

Good luck.:beer:

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
My brakes have started to make a loud moaning noise at slow speeds (crawling) when lightly applied. I don't hear it at higher speeds, when braking harder, or when reversing. I started hearing a little bit a few days ago but today was pretty loud. I was hoping it would go away. I only have 700 km on the car, and it's a TDI HL. I think it's coming from the rear. Any idea what it could be or if I need to take it in?
Any chance that your name is Ahab? ;)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I'd leave it like that. Windows down, girls on the corner, "Hey baby, going my way? - FEERRRRT!"
:laugh:

·
Registered
116 Posts
It happened to me a couple of times but only going backwards (and lightly braking) after parking it for more than 8 hours in really humid conditions. As with the mk6, when going back-forth the pads are slightly changing their position causing some sort of noise. When the car is on the move or after the drive, the braking is ultra-quiet.
P.S. I always leave the car with the EPB disabled (my parking is completely level) to avoid the "thud" from the brakes when starting after a long period of time (8 or so hours). I live in one of the most humid cities in Europe.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had similar braking sound after washing wheels and tires (in my Infiniti, not a VW owner yet). It goes away tho after the brakes have dried off.

·
Registered
259 Posts
+20 for the hilarious subject line. +100 for the video & the laugh.

I'm rolling over here :laugh:

Definitely take it in, OP. I would.

·
Registered
290 Posts
FREE WILLY!!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
SAME NOISE for my new Golf TDI

Just wanted to know if any of you who have had a similar noise have gotten the problem looked at?
And/or if it has gone away?
I just bought my Golf TDI and have had the same noise while pulling out of my garage.
Any info would be of great help
Thanks a bunch! :)

·
Banned
53,538 Posts
Just wanted to know if any of you who have had a similar noise have gotten the problem looked at?
And/or if it has gone away?
I just bought my Golf TDI and have had the same noise while pulling out of my garage.
Any info would be of great help
Thanks a bunch! :)
The vehicle has disc brakes. They will make noise. This is not something normal folks worry about.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Funniest post of the year :)

I cracked up when you even hear the OP laughing in the vid.

Probably something stupid, pad slightly out of alignment?

Anything visually?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nothing visual

No, nothing visual...I'm kind of thinking from what others have said above that maybe it will happen only when the brakes are wet?
I drove in the rain and then also on a very soggy day out, parked it in the garage and the next morning it made the horrible noise.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
No, nothing visual...I'm kind of thinking from what others have said above that maybe it will happen only when the brakes are wet?
I drove in the rain and then also on a very soggy day out, parked it in the garage and the next morning it made the horrible noise.
Oh! Does it go away fairly quickly once using the brakes? It could just be rust. I was initially thinking something was stuck in the pad but you would really feel that, but if it's rust it could be too fine to be felt really.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts