VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Re: My breaks are squeaking.... (DarkNeo)

It means, welcome to the life of VW.
Get used to it. It doesn't mean that your brakes are bad. I can't even explain why mine squeek. So somone more experienced can shine some light.

· Registered
7,713 Posts
Re: (DarkNeo)

Quote, originally posted by DarkNeo »
So any car w/ larger brakes squeak?? But how come it juts started today, I have 6000 miles on it

do a couple ,4-5, hard stops in a row, works well on my car, also try drive for a couple hundred yards with the parking brake up a couple of clicks....

· Registered
22' Jeep Wrangler 4Xe
2,172 Posts
Re: (SuckerPunch)

Just to let everyone know there is a Fix at the dealership. I had them order some kit to fix the squealing. I have had it done for 3 weeks now and no sounds at all. I am told this is a perminent fix. Check the dealership and tell them to check the teck boards because there is a bulletin to fix it.

· Registered
1,138 Posts
Re: (05jettagli)

Quote, originally posted by 05jettagli »
Just to let everyone know there is a Fix at the dealership. I had them order some kit to fix the squealing. I have had it done for 3 weeks now and no sounds at all. I am told this is a perminent fix. Check the dealership and tell them to check the teck boards because there is a bulletin to fix it.

Unfortunately, it's not permanent, or at least it wasn't for me. They fixed it, and they were quiet for a few weeks... then it came back a little, and now, months later it's at full power screech!

· Registered
5,843 Posts

Hate to say it but run a search, myself and numerous others on here beat this topic to death.
The reason why they're squeaking is the lack of airflow between the pads. Because of our larger rotors for some reason there's not enough room for air to pass when you hit the pedal and the pad is applied. What worked for me (and suggested by my service manager when I took him for a drive), take some sand paper and bevel out the pads on the edges.
Another thing: when you bring the car to the dealership for regular maintenance or what not, tell them not to use the brake cleaner on your car. It's caustic and 1) ruins the paint finish on your calipers and 2) it's also a factor in the brake squeal.

· Registered
3,988 Posts
Re: (RBT2783)

This guy is stuck under your car!

Actually it's the sound of your metallic brake pads rubbing against your metal rotors, VW started using metallic pads after people started whining about how often they had to change their brake pads, so you can contribute your squeak to someone Else's picky whining http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I've received this explaination from numerous tech here at my job and also from some of the advisors at VW techline.

Modified by EuroBurner GLI at 1:37 PM 9-8-2005

· Registered
1,218 Posts

Are the shims in place? Most parts places (NAPA, AutoZone, PepBoys, etc) sell a spray or paste to put on the BACK SIDE of the pads to help reduce the vibration.
More info than you probably care to know: http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.16.html
Try over in the Technical Forums.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.