VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just the other week my "PCV" hose finally cracked where it attaches to the motor. From what I've read in my searches they all go this same way, the plastic hose on the "PCV" (we'll call it that but it's just a separator) shrinks and cracks from engine heat and breaks away from it. It's not repairable and the best price I could find for the intake air tube assy was $95 at Impex.
I read all about catch cans and air compressor filters etc but I didn't want any of those. I wanted it back like it was! I messed around with it several times last week with no success and was considering giving up the $95 for a new one. Finally I came up with this. The hose that broke off the pcv is not mounted on a nipple, but rather is crimped and solvent welded into the body of the pcv. Therein lies the problem, there's no hose nipple to connect to. So I decided to make one. I went to Pep Boys and bought a pcv elbow on a HELP card. Here's the part and the patient.

A better view of the elbow shows the part I want to use pointing down. I'll cut just above the flange and that will give me a great gluing surface. A little hacksaw work gives me this.

I cleaned the outside of the pcv with brake cleaner, but that wasn't good enough. So I used a razor blade to trim out the rest of the hose material that kept seeping oil. I then washed the area with acetone and roughed it up with a file. I sanded the rough cut edge of the nipple and roughed it up some. You can see a shallow area that will just have to be filled with the epoxy. Here they are ready to glue.

I mixed up a little JB Weld and glued it together. Here's the result.

Problem- since there was no nipple on the pcv, it could fit up against the nipple on the motor. There is no room for the nipple I am adding, so the flex hose between the pcv and the heater will have to flex to allow for it. But this nipple is too long, so I cut off the first barb. Just enough there now to retain a hose clamp. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Time to put it together! I used a piece of old heater hose for now, tomorrow I'll go get a piece of PCV/fuel hose so it'll last. There's a little strain in the flex hose, but some exhaust heat will help it to get used to it. I'm pretty happy about saving $90!!

Modified by A2B4guy at 9:42 PM 3-9-2007

Modified by A2B4guy at 9:43 PM 3-9-2007

·
Registered
20,571 Posts
Re: My breather PCV mod (A2B4guy)

Crafty! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Re: My breather PCV mod (JesterVr6 Too!)

My PCV is broken, not the tube but the part that you are glueing the new nipple onto.
It's cracked and the last owner decided that he'd be clever and get to to stay together with some pull tights!
My mechanic put a bunch of epoxy over the crack but I'd like to just replace it if possible. Where do I get a PCV for cheap (that part you glued the nipple onto) and how hard is installation?
(I'll post a pic of the now epoxyed part tonight).
thanks a million, I'm glad you're saving vortex members some cash, we could all use it!
Abe

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: My breather PCV mod (jbrams)

Quote, originally posted by jbrams »
My PCV is broken, not the tube but the part that you are glueing the new nipple onto.
I'd like to just replace it if possible. Where do I get a PCV for cheap (that part you glued the nipple onto) and how hard is installation?

Refer to the very top. $95 from Impex (www.vwparts.com). That is precisely why this mod was done, to not have to buy that whole intake air boot. The breather is not available separately. Installation is easy though.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts

Sorry, I think I was not clear. Mine part is not broken in the same place. Here's an edited picture, the yellow marks where mine is cracked:

It is so cracked that the last owner decided that he should put it back together with pull tights (which does nothing!).
Some oil shot out of it and burned the soft material on the underside of the hood (ouch!).
It's epoxied together right now, but is there some more premanent and non-ghetto solution?
Thanks!
Abe

·
Registered
15,575 Posts
Wish I had seen this a month ago......good Meguiver-ness....

Sean

·
Registered
1,398 Posts

What about this "Crankcase Filter" for about $4? Is there really a difference between Crankcase filter vs. PCV filter . . . ?
ba6314

This seems like a VERY similar part. Do you think that they would be compatible? This would be a GREAT solution if it works. Could you tell me the inside measurements of the tubes leading into and out of the the PVC filter?
Abe
PS - I went to Kragen to see the part in my hands, it was "fram orange" rather than black.

Modified by jbrams at 10:18 AM 2-7-2004

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: My breather PCV mod (jbrams)

I looked at all popular off-the-shelf stuff like that and nothing was a good bet. And none had the nipple on the top for the vac line. The VW part is more of a separator than a filter. Some of those are hollow with white filter mesh inside, that's not what you want but it might not hurt anything. As for the measurements I'll let you take yours apart and measure it, I'm not touching mine again. It sounds like you should buy the new assembly.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Re: My breather PCV mod (vdubjb)

This is exactly what I need to do!! Thanks for the idea. The problem is that all my local Help! dealers say that part number 47037 is not available. Anyone getting the same story? Any try anything else? Thanks! -Rob

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Re: My breather PCV mod (ricardo)

i would agree with the crankcase filter. however the sensor gets tossed then...

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Re: My breather PCV mod (fatfreevw)

Did the same thing a few months ago, http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
JB weld is wonderful

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Re: My breather PCV mod (Cubix)

might i add im a fan of the metal valve cover;)

·
Banned
6,423 Posts
Re: My breather PCV mod (fatfreevw)

the entire hose/element can easily be removed and w/o any effect.
I understand the craftiness of the DIY fix, buy 2 small vacuum caps, 1 larger plug and a catch can or drain tube will do the trick. Unplugging the heated element does not throw a code.
another option is just a straight tube with an inner filter (acts like a separator, use the white brillo like filter) ~ simple, effective, clean & cheap

1 - 20 of 23 Posts