VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

221 - 240 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Finally got around to getting the engine and trans pulled from the car today, separating the 2 and removing the clutch and flywheel. Been leaking oil for quite sometime. I was surprised at how well the ECS RA4 clutch setup still looks after being in the car for 8 or 9 years.

Damage to the steering rack boot, from when my old diy downpipe broke and was basically pointing straight at the firewall

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
4-17-20

Havent really done much lately, as the weather has been cold and didnt feel like dealing with it. Upgrading to a 120amp alternator that I got from fR3ZNO here in the boards, purchased an 034 Motorsports billet fuel rail and fuel pressure regulator housing. Ended up buying 2 90 degree 3an fittings for the rear brake lines on the driver side, I didnt like how they looked almost being in way of the axle shaft.

[/url]

Putting together of more things I need. I will be replacing the steering rack and all of the lines, cooler and reservoir....thinking of going with with from a BMW that is black and looks better than the oem Audi one.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
4-20-20

Dropped the front subframe today and stripped all of the suspension from it. Pulled the steering rack and clutch master out. Cleaned the transmission, spindles, upper control arm bracket, engine/sway bar brackets. This was very time consuming and somewhat pleased with how everything turned out. Tomorrow I plan on tackling the fender wells and engine bay, get it ready to repaint.

Mess of parts

Clean Transmission

No more subframe

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
Some goodies showed up yesterday and today. A large box from FCP Euro with new water pump ( I accidentally ordered 3 ), coolant tank, power steering high pressure hose, oil cooler, oil dip stick housing, thermostat and housing, o rings and misc gaskets.

JHM shifter stabilizer kit

034 Motorsport Driveshaft Support

Apikol 17z Caliper Brackets

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
Had a guy at work weld on the -12AN oil drain fitting to my oil pan.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
More parts have arrived. Porsche Cayenne 17z front and rears, Treadstone TR18 intercooler and I picked up my parts from having powdercoated.

A little bit of flake in the powder just to give it a little extra something, and it matches the cold side of my turbo.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
Dowel Pinned the crank gear yesterday, waiting on an ARP bolt to finish it off.

Got the JHM solid shifter and bushing set installed and cleaned up the rods and and shifter from years of dirt and grime. Rods have quite a bit of corrosion.

Pressed out the wheel bearings so I can take the spindles and subframe to get powdercoated. Had to cut the wheel speed sensors as they were ceased into the spindle.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
Since Im going to be running the rear Cayenne brakes on the A4, Wilwood MC4 mechanical e brakes were needed. Waiting on the brackets from Vosh Mods, V70R front rotors, B7 S4 rear rotors and pads.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I actually just bought those same braided brake lines and fittings except I'm relocating my abs module to where the battery usually goes.
Looks like the parts are flowing in, excited to see it up and running. :beer:

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
034 Motorsport billet subframe bushings are finally installed. That was a bitch.

Now to load it up along with the front spindles and sway bar and drop them off to get powdercoated.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
Cat 3658 cams have been put on order. This should be the last major part of orders to be made, then its just little stuff to be done.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
You doing any other head work? springs, retainers, valves?

Just upgrading to Ferrea exhaust valves, all new seals and guides from Integrated Engineering for now.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
Was hoping to have all of my head parts this week and drop them off the machine shop Thursday or yesterday, but USPS for whatever reason held everything hostage for 3 days. Exhaust valves and seals arrived yesterday, guides arrived this morning. I now have to wait another week for a day off to drop everything off. From what I can think of, I lack oil feed and drain lines/fittings and Ive decided to just run new fuel lines from the tank to the engine.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
The Voshmods 300mm rear brake kit arrived this morning and I got right to work on test fitting everything.

Before with the B5 S4 rear brakes

After with Brembo 4 piston and Willwood e-brake

Only problem I have ran into so far, the wheel spokes sit right against the Brembo caliper, even with a 5mm spacer that I have been running. Im going to see about running some 8mm spacers, as I believe Ive only got room for about 10mm before my tire rubs the fender.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
Got the front subframe mounted back up (what a pain in the ass that was), along with the engine mount brackets and sway bar. I currently have the wheel bearings in the freezer waiting to go back into the spindles. Hoping I can get the front suspension bolted back up today. I need to mock up the front Brembos and see how everything works out with them.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
Threw some paint on the rear calipers after I finally got the rear wheels spaced out comfortably enough to clear them. I went with blue to get a little bit of a pop behind the LM's. I got the wheel bearings and hubs installed today as well, but I need a step bit to clearance the openings of the V70R rotors, so I can see how the fronts are going to sit before I paint them.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
Got the front suspension hung today, havent torqued anything down yet. Bolted up the Apikol 17z brackets and caliper to get an idea. I havent decided if Im going to run washers on the caliper to bracket bolts or mill the mounting ears of the caliper down to mount the bracket bolts. Still need to open up the lug holes of the rotor. I also noticed the caliper hits the lower rear control when turning the spindle.

The gap in between the caliper ears and head of the caliper bracket to spindle bolts.

·
Registered
7,521 Posts
Very nice progress, I'll definitely be following. :thumbup:

I'm curious what your impressions will be of the solid shift bushings. I am pretty sure mine are shot and will likely go with the JHM.

Also curious: Have you considered at all removing the false firewall / raintray? It's obviously there for a reason, but I'm curious what (if any) drawbacks would be to removing it? I know that on a Mk1 / Mk2 VW the raintray provides fresh air to the HVAC, and removing the it allows hot (and potentially contaminated) engine air into the HVAC system. I really haven't had the time to poke around my B5 and figure that out. With the V6 motors, having that extra space in the rear would be fantastic...

221 - 240 of 265 Posts