VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

241 - 260 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Thanks. Ive never thought about removing it, but have seen people do so, especially with doing V8 swaps. I like it for the fact that its hiding the brake booster, ecu and my brake proportioning valve. Later on, it will also hide the fuel lines when I decided to reroute them through the shock tower behind the false fire wall and come out right above the trans. I just like the look of a clean, shaved bay.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
Worked on the A4 more today. I went back and put Loctite on all of the bolts for the rear brake setup, installed the rear Brembos with new pads, Stop Tech lines, Powerstop pads and R1 Concept rotors. 10mm wheel spacers from Black Forest Industries to space the LM's from hitting the caliper. I then moved on to the fronts and where I ran into some problems. When I bought the Volvo V70R rotors, I completely missed the part where the spindles needed shaved down in 2 spots to clear the rotor. Once I shaved the spindles, the bolts to mount the Apikol brackets were too long and hitting the rotor, so I had to cut them down. I was told I would need to mill the ears down on the 17z caliper to clear the bracket bolt head to let it sit flush, my fix is just going to run 2mm thick washers between the caliper and bracket, because the clear the bolt head and the rotor is pretty center inside of the caliper.

The 2 spots on the spindle that need ground down to clear the V70R rotors

Rotor fairly centered in the caliper

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
Finally got the the correct size washers to use with the caliper bolts so I dont have to mill the tabs. I used a 5mm spacer for the front wheel, but I believe I could get away with a 3mm. Only problem I have ran into is the caliper hitting the wheel weights, when I get new ones, I may have to move them closer to the face of the wheel.

The clearance inside of the barrel to the caliper is tight

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
Cat Cams arrived today. Still waiting on my head to be finished and I can drop these in along with new cam seals, cam chain tensioner and gasket.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
3 months and no update. Progress has stopped on the car for a bit as I bought a house. The machine shop has yet to finish the head, so that has stopped any further progress on the engine. I am now planning to drop the rear subframe and refresh all of the bushings that I can, powder coat the subframe, clean everything up and run AN fuel lines from the rear to front.

The house with a detached 3 car garage

First time the A4 has ever been on a trailer

Garage already packed and somewhat organized

·
Registered
467 Posts
Nice. You'll be surprised how quickly it'll fill up. Super envious of the stove.
Enclose the carport and you'll have another 1 car garage.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
Thanks man. I plan on moving the stove back a little closer to the chimney since its brick and give me a bit more room in front of it. Ill have more room once my friend gets his garage built and moves his Mustang out of there. A lot more room than I really need, but its nice.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
I was finally able to get out into the garage and get the rear subframe dropped. With the way I took to do it, I wish I had removed it piece by piece, and not trying to drop it with the rear diff and suspension still attached. Going to pull everything off, get it all cleaned up and powdercoated, all new bushings, wheel bearings, differential seals, AN fuel lines and replacing the run of brake lines from the front frame rail to the rear subframe with copper nickel line.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
Got a little work done today, got everything unbolted from the subframe, I need to take a wire wheel to it and get rid of all of the loose rust. Surprisingly there arent any rust holes in it. Going to to have to use a cut off wheel and get the brake lines off, all of the fittings are stripped. After I get all of the bushings out of the subframe, control arms, spindles and rear diff carrier, Im going to drop them off to be powdercoated.

Was also working on getting the carrier bearing off the driveshaft so I could install the 034 Motorsport one.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
Rear suspension parts started showing up yesterday. New rear tie rods, Meyle HD sway bar end links, rear wheel bearings, diff seals, Powerflex control arm bushings and 034 Motorsport rear sway bar.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #253
034 rear billet subframe mounts and sway bar brackets arrived, along with Apikol rear diff carrier bushings. Parts keep piling up, but not ready to go on just yet.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
Got all of the bushings pressed put of the subframe and control arms today. Used a BMW bushing tool and some all thread from Lowes to get the rear subframe bushings out.

The mess that I was left with.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
Since Powerflex doesnt offer lower bushings for the rear spindle, I had to source them elsewhere. Luckily Verkline in Poland offers theirs in a street hardness and shipping was very quick!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
Picked up my rear subframe and control arms today from powdercoating, everything turned out great. Went with standard black as opposed to the black I done with the front. Going to try and get the bushings installed soon.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
Almost 2 months without an update. I ordered all -06 AN fuel line and fittings for the car yesterday. Picked my rear spindles up from powdercoating this morning, installed the new wheel bearings and hubs, ruined one of the new bearings, and got the 034 Motorsports rear billet subframe bushings installed. The rear subframe bushings is a 2 man job.

Hopefully going to clean up the under side of the car and gas tank tomorrow. If I can get that done, Ill be installing the tank and prepping the subframe for install.

Reactions: blind

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
Fuel line, fittings and filter came in yesterday, super fast shipping. I was hoping the fuel filter was a serviceable one but its not. The size of the thing, I will be able to mount it anywhere since its so small. New wheel bearing showed up today as well.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
Got a bit of work done today. Bolted up the rear lower control arms, differential mount and 034 rear sway bar and reinforcement brackets. Was going to install the tank today, but I was sent 1/4" fuel line instead of the 3/8" rubber line I had ordered to adapt to AN lines. Dropped the head off at another machine shop yesterday, hoping 2-3 week turn around.

Reactions: blind
241 - 260 of 267 Posts