Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
Thanks! Im trying my best, haha.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
Got a message from the machine shop yesterday and my head was done.. 1 week turn around, as opposed to the other shop that didnt touch it for 10 months. Crazy seeing the head this clean and looking brand new.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
Went out to the garage this morning and got a few things done. Finally got the correct size fuel line to run from the fuel hat down to the side of the take, where I installed some barbed to AN fittings and then attached the AN fuel lines. Got the gas tank installed and the adjusters for my BC coilovers un seized.

5/16" id rubber fuel line to 5/16" to -6an barbs. All AN fittings and lines are from Redhorse Performance.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
Who ended up doing the head?
Bachs in Lexington. I dropped it off with Eric at Central Import Authority, hes kind of the middle man since Bachs isnt doing personal work anymore, assuming due to covid.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #266
Decided to throw the head on the block today with a new oem headgasket and ARP head studs. Its currently not torqued down because I need to get a good torque wrench, I dont trust the Pittsburgh one I have. I plan on cleaning up all of the lifters before I install them, a lot of them are stuck. I need to clean up the rust on the block and paint some of the bare metal that is still exposed.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
Had a good win for the day. Bought a digital torque wrench yesterday so I was able to torque the head down this morning. I Chased the threads for the rear subframe bolts, got it set in place and the bolts went right in with no trouble. Hung the rear suspension as well, but everything is still loose at the moment. Cleaned up the threads on the coilovers and collars, applied a little grease to them to hopefully prevent them from seizing up again.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
Week before last, I got all of the lifters apart and soaked them in carb cleaner. Today I rinsed them off, wiped them down with wd40, pressurized them with fresh oil and applied some Lucas assembly lube and dropped them in the head. I forgot I never ordered a new cam chain, so thats holding me up from getting the cams installed. Re installed the Voshmod rear Brembo brake brackets and hung the calipers temporary until I get new rear axles.

The lifters were in really good shape for being 20+ yrs old, no scuffs or gouges in them.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
Spent a little more time out in the garage today. Got the Cat Cams installed after having to compare them to my stock cams and figuring out which marks to line them up with the cam caps. Bolted up the intake manifold and throttle body with new gaskets, B6 rear coolant flange, Deatschwerks 1000cc injectors (ended up having to swap out o rings, they didnt want to seat into the Phenix Engineering injector cups). Still need to order a few small parts.

Cam Timing seems to be correct

034 Motorsports fuel pressure regular housing close to the head, not allowing the lifting tab to bolt up

One other setback I came across, either the mounting holes for the Treadstone log manifold are offset or the upper part of the flange needs to be ground down so it doesnt hit the head casting. It doesnt want to sit flush on the head.

·
Registered
7,544 Posts
Your progress is looking really good. How did the lifter cleaning go, did you get anything concerning out of them and were there any hang-ups in the process?

Just curious, but any reason to not have done a mild port and polish on the head while you had it apart?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #272
Thanks. Nothing concerning came out of the lifters, just some minor build up of grime over the years. Hardest part was getting the inner pieces out of the buckets, had to take a rubber mallet to some to drive them out. Just didnt bother having it done.

261 - 272 of 272 Posts