VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THE BACK STORY: I bought this engine (in a car) 5 years ago, 110,996 miles on her. The car was very strong for the 2 weeks I drove her before the complete tear down. The rest is history, you can read about it in the original build thread if your bored.
Original Build Thread

TODAY'S STORY: I am tired of having the car not on the street so it's time to rebuild the 16v and throw it back in just to get it back on the road and then we will go from there...

From what I have researched n/a these engines aren't worth building IMO, if I'm doing anything I want to either s/c or turbo this engine because anything less then 300-350whp isn't worth spending money on.

Anyway on to the pictures:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: Head goes to engine shop tomorrow so he can go through it and make sure everything is good, hoping I'll be able to get away with just replacing a few valve guides or something small.

The main caps and rod caps were removed and the crank and bearings looked great and were within tolerances.

The cross-hatches on the cylinder walls were still very visible and there were no odd scratches or gouges.

Will be buying a lower engine gasket kit w/ oil pan gasket, cylinder head gasket kit, and OEM head bolts (11x144mm) from www.autohausaz.com unless I can find them cheaper elsewhere. Whatever else I need for the head will likely be bought from them also.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
First things first, I am always on his honda-tech build threads trying to derail them so I had this coming. Also his freshly resprayed (teal green) 93 Si SOHC 57trim t3/t04e is a "piece of sh!t Honda", it still maintains an approval from most VW owners.. I am also project manager on his build so I will personally see to it that he doesnt try to rice it out LMAO! He will never beat my BT mkiv but I like to keep his hopes up. Also his car and my mkiv will be at a lot of shows this year, mainly h2oi so be sure to say "whats up?" to us.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
First this first, I am always on his honda-tech build threads trying to derail them so I had this coming. Also his freshly resprayed (teal green) 93 Si SOHC 57trim t3/t04e is a "piece of sh!t Honda", it still maintains an approval from most VW owners.. I am also project manager on his build so I will personally see to it that he doesnt try to rice it out LMAO! He will never beat my BT mkiv but I like to keep his hopes up. Also his car and my mkiv will be at a lot of shows this year, mainly h2oi so be sure to say "whats up?" to us.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: Guy at the machine shop was sick Monday and Tuesday, today he was able to get it apart and replaced the valve seals and the valve guides. He said they were decent but for the cost its worth it for the reassurance. Hes going to assemble it an get it back to me tomorrow, maybe Friday.

I placed the order from autohausaz and expect the parts by Monday so another update will follow.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a tranny/clutch combo and source. I will prolly get a trans from the classifieds for as cheap as possible.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
It depends if you want a 5 or 6 speed. I say go with a V6 trans (12 or 30v) out of a B5. They are about the same price as a 1.8T trans which I believe is the stock trans for that motor. The V6 trans have longer gears than the 1.8Ts. I hear 6 speeds are weak in certain years. Talk to Jeff or Josh to see if they know of any locals for sale.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the heads up, but I got an FK trans with longer 4th and 5th gears in it from a diesel for $100. So I am going to run that with the 16v flywheel and pressure plate matched with an 8v clutch since I have the small splines from the 020. Any suggestions on clutch and 16v pressure plate?

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, but I got an FK trans with longer 4th and 5th gears in it from a diesel for $100. So I am going to run that with the 16v flywheel and pressure plate matched with an 8v clutch since I have the small splines from the 020. Any suggestions on clutch and 16v pressure plate?

better start praying to the 020 gods now..

and i believe that the FK came from early GTIs.. they are a SUPER CLOSE RATIO box. if you wanted the long gears, you should have gotten a FN, FF, FH, FJ, or FO trans, those were the codes attached to diesels..

heres the gear layout of the FK:

final 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
FK, FM, FD (Close Ratio) 3.89 3.45 2.12 1.44 1.13 0.91

your gonna be turning like 3250 @ 60 mph..

or this trans has been opened up, and has half a close ratio, and half a long ratio gear set in it?

i bet the jumps from 3rd to 4th to 5th are HUGE.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Do you know Andy? He knows a ton about 5 cyls! I believe his user name is dspl1236 on just about every forum

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
better start praying to the 020 gods now..

and i believe that the FK came from early GTIs.. they are a SUPER CLOSE RATIO box. if you wanted the long gears, you should have gotten a FN, FF, FH, FJ, or FO trans, those were the codes attached to diesels..

heres the gear layout of the FK:

final 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
FK, FM, FD (Close Ratio) 3.89 3.45 2.12 1.44 1.13 0.91

your gonna be turning like 3250 @ 60 mph..

or this trans has been opened up, and has half a close ratio, and half a long ratio gear set in it?

i bet the jumps from 3rd to 4th to 5th are HUGE.
Yeah as far as I know its been opened and replaced the 4th and 5th gears. I guess well just have to wait and see. If I don't like it then I will just do some more research and get another one and I'm only out $100.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: Parts from Autohausaz showed up so I got right to work on it...

Also the wheels showed up fresh from Volkswagen!

Just ordered a timing belt, tensioner, waterpump assembly, thermostat, 16v pressure plate, and 8v clutch. So another update will come when those things arrive and the transmission is installed along with rest of the engine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.