VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Backstory:
I have a 2015 gti DSG non PP. The car has 40k miles, and all of the service has been done, and kept up with. When it blew up I had a cobb stage 2 93 tune on it. It had a cts Intercooler, cts intake, cts downpipe, Unknown catback from the previous seller, and an ecs turbo muffler delete. Car was running great no issues. I had recently cracked the plastic oil pan, and switched to a rien steel oil pan. I had just filled up with liquimoly 5w40. The car had been sitting for about two weeks, and this was the first drive since the intake and intercooler install, and the new oil pan. When I had pulled the cracked plastic oil pan I had found one small piece of metal about the size of a bb, and I was worried, but kind of brushed it off, which I shouldn't have done. Anyways I take it out for its first drive since the new mods, car is running beautifully no issues at all. Once its warmed up I do a few light pulls, everything sounds good, I was enjoying the intake sounds. I switched it into manual mode, and go to do a harder pull. @3rd gear 5k rpm I just hear a horrible klang and it sounds like my engine just grenaded itself. Pretty much all of my lights come on, and I glance over at the cobb -18 degrees of knock (nice). Pretty much coasted to a stop looked under the car, and its just dumping oil. Got towed home and this is what I found when I looked under the car the next morning.
Hand Motor vehicle Water Automotive tire Nail
Automotive tire Hood Tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Side of block blown open. You can see half of the rod from cylinder 3.
Finger Natural material Seafood Artifact Thumb
Half of piston from cylinder 3

Anyways time for a new engine.

This engine had a CNTA engine code. I've been looking at engines and for some reason the DKFA code engines are cheaper and more available. Is there a reason for this?
I was able to find that they take different oil, ow20 instead of 5w40, and they have a different oil pump/ oil systems. Would this be a direct swap? Are there any wiring differences/ ecu differences or tune differences that would need to be addressed? If any of you guys know anything about this, all information would be much appreciated. Im planning on building the short block, IE pistons IE rods, Mahle bearings, ARP head studs. I'm not planning on touching the head for now either. I'm also planning on ugrading everything on the reliability side. Brisk er12 silver spark plugs, Apr coil packs, timing chain and belt service, new water pump, head gasket, dsg fluid. Any infromation would be much appreciated, as I am still fairly new to the car scene.

Thanks

·
Registered
305 Posts
So sorry to hear, I would do an ecu scan (vcds, obeleven) and dump to file to examine and keep.

Might consider just buying a crate that’s been put together by a known company in the vag community that will also guarantee it. Doubt they want your core, maybe ship that to Cobb. ;)

·
Registered
88,231 Posts
Yikes. That's low miles for a complosion.

·
Registered
2019 MK7.5 GTI
18 Posts
So sorry. That’s unfortunate. Based on your comment about the pea size metal piece on the previous oil pan. Do you think this issue was due to a loose connecting rod?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts