VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She just turned 50 and tomorrow is inspection. I'm taking it to the dealer to be done. Can you guys recommend some preventive maintence. I having them change the fuel filter, but what about the spark plugs...is this something I can change on my own? They want $70 to do it, sounds pretty steep. I dont want to pay out the ass for something I can do or get down elsewhere cheaper.

·
Banned
2,148 Posts
Re: My car is getting inspected tomorrow...what else should I have done? (TooLFan46n2)

hey i am in hte exact same position except i am not going to the dealer. My spark plugs need to be changed, and the rotor / cap are due (by book anyways). I found out that getting the Haynes manual, all rotor / cap & spark plugs is Cheaper then just getting hte spark plugs at a shop. plus i get to learn about my car.
If your not affraid to try and you got lots of time (like me) I say go ahead and do it yourself.
Max

·
Registered
11,535 Posts
Re: My car is getting inspected tomorrow...what else should I have done? (TooLFan46n2)

If you haven't done it yet, change the the timing belt. Or at least do it in another 5-10,000 miles. You can do it yourself and save ALOT of money. Just don't follow the bentley, or you'll time it wrong...
Since you have to remove them, I also recommend changing the serpentine belt and accesories belt at the same time. Total cost of belts from the stealer should be about $50.
You might also want to consider new plug wires, plugs, and distributor cap.

Thats about all I can think of...

·
Banned
2,148 Posts
Re: My car is getting inspected tomorrow...what else should I have done? (kkozma)

My 99 Golf is only @ 32000 miles (57000 km).
What is the reccomended mileage for belts? I thought it was about 70000 miles (12000km). thats what the dealer told me before i bought my car.
Thanks
Max

·
Registered
11,535 Posts
Re: My car is getting inspected tomorrow...what else should I have done? (maxt)

Well, thats what they say, but I just changed one that had 68,000 miles on it and 8 missing teeth!!!
The one on my wifes car slipped at 52,000 miles. Better safe than sorry...

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

So, can any tell me about the spark plugs? Any special tools? Is it tough, I've never done it on a car.

·
Registered
37,355 Posts

Most VW mechanics recommend the following for service checks.
60k - timing belt
120k - timing belt
See a pattern here. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Re: My car is getting inspected tomorrow...what else should I have done? (Verruckt)

Who inspects your vehical? Oh, yet another victum of liberal communist tyranny. One of the few good things about living in a frozen tundra of North Dakota- no emissions laws!!!! Those wacky enviro-nazi's crack me up!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts