VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the?! When I was driving today, my clutch pedal got stuck to the floor after I puched it to change gears.
I popped the hood, and then literally grabbed the exposed cable part (right near the transmission arm...thing
) and pulled it back down. This caused my clutch pedal to return to normal, but of course a couple shifts later it was feeling different than usual.
I pulled into a gas station to try and shift through the gears, but as I started to drive from first gear it would shudder and sometimes grab the clutch really hard and fast.
Is the problem solely the based on the fact that I have a self-adujting cable (and it's fu#$ing up)? Or could it be something with the actual transmission (don't know a whole lot in that area).
Help a brotha out! I need to drive to school tomorrow!

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Re: My clutch pedal was stuck to the floor! (VWsuperhero)

First, do the new cable thing. I like the manual adjust unit, as it is cheaper and lasts longer. Before popping the tranny off, check the easy stuff like the TO bearing, and the release finger sitting on the TO bearing.
These items can be checked by prying the green end cap off the end of the tranny.
Look closely at the finger too, I've seen them crack and it'll cause the pedal to hit the floor, because the finger slips around the splined shaft it sits on. The finger should have no cracks or splits in it anywhere
When mine cracked, I didn't know any better, and it was a very clean split, so I never noticed it.
If it isn't the pedal assembly, the clutch cable, or the TO bearing/release finger, then it is inside the tranny most likely.
Broke

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: My clutch pedal was stuck to the floor! (Broke)

The "finger" refers to the long arm attached to the clutch cable?
Also, have any pics of the TO bearing? I have no idea what I would be looking at if I popped the green cap off...

·
Registered
464 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]What the?! When I was driving today, my clutch pedal got stuck to the floor after I puched it to change gears.
I popped the hood, and then literally grabbed the exposed cable part (right near the transmission arm...thing
) and pulled it back down. This caused my clutch pedal to return to normal, but of course a couple shifts later it was feeling different than usual.
I pulled into a gas station to try and shift through the gears, but as I started to drive from first gear it would shudder and sometimes grab the clutch really hard and fast.
Is the problem solely the based on the fact that I have a self-adujting cable (and it's fu#$ing up)? Or could it be something with the actual transmission (don't know a whole lot in that area).
Help a brotha out! I need to drive to school tomorrow!
[HR][/HR]​
This exact thing happened on the Golf of a friend of mine. The cause was the dreaded self adjusting cable. The cable had ground a groove in the plastic and got stuck. I replaced it with a manually adjustable one and all is fine.
Disconnect the cable from the lever arm on the tranny, lift the cable out and have a look at the plastic section of the clutch cable assembly.

·
Registered
15,848 Posts

Here is a pic of my Bentley page, it's been used before

The TO bearing drops down into that hole in the pic, and you sometimes need to use a magnet to get it out.
Also inspect the pushrod (slides into the tranny before the TO bearing when you put it back together) to make sure that the ends are not flat. They should be nice and round, and the TO bearing should make no noise when spun.
The finger is labeled as that clutch lever in the picture.
Hope this helps....hopefully it is a cable thing though http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Broke

[Modified by Broke, 9:38 PM 9-29-2002]

·
Registered
336 Posts
Re: My clutch pedal was stuck to the floor! (Broke)

While on the topic of release bearing... What are the symptoms when you have a bad TO bearing?
When I am in neutral and the engine is idling I hear something like ball bearings inside my tranny almost like something is loose and hitting the inside of the tranny. Then I press my clutch in and the sound goes away?
Does this have any thing to do with the TO bearing?

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: My clutch pedal was stuck to the floor! (The_Jerbel)

Well guys.... replaced the clutch cable. Switched from a self-adjusting to a manual cable.
So far everything is OK, no getting stuck in neutral etc. (keeping my fingers crossed b/c I just jinxed myself gad dammit!).
I actually don't mind the manual cable, I always thought it would be ****e, but I was wrong. If you have a self-adjusting clutch cable, go switch it for the manual, it'll give you piece of mind and it only costs $12! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Thanks for all the replies...

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Re: My clutch pedal was stuck to the floor! (satchmo)

push rod broke through the presure plate center disc.. the lever is a good place to start,, but ,,, the center plate on the pressure plate is a very good culprit..

·
Registered
15,848 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Hey Broke,
Can the pushrod be extracted and replaced from this side without taking the trans out?
Satchmo[HR][/HR]​
I'm not positive, but I would say yes, depends on how good your magnet is. It is in there too deep to grab, and you're not grabbing a smooth oily pushrod anyway

It doesn't slide right out though because of the pushrod seal and bushing at the other end of the tranny shaft.
Hmm. You know what....that might not be such a hot idea. I just thought of that....when you go to stick it back in, the seal might try to get crooked or fold up or something. It is just like a little crank seal or a camshaft seal, with the inner lip and spring deal.
I'm not sure I'd want to try sticking one in from that side....so maybe not on the removing of the pushrod.
I'd wait until somebody smarter answers before trying it

Broke

·
Registered
10,616 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Hey Broke,
Can the pushrod be extracted and replaced from this side without taking the trans out?
Satchmo[HR][/HR]​
I'm not broke
but i think you can.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.