· Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So heres what I got
#1-155
#2-154(right between 154&155)
#3-155
#4-155
It's an 82 EN 1.7, 138,000mi, no rebuilds, fresh head gasket, head shaved to the factory min. and a TT 276/280 cam.
Are these results low? I figured I would have had a little more psi with the head shaved that far. Is the cam the culprit? I figure It would probably have a little more with the stock cam. I also get a good bit of oil in the breather hose, but It's not dripping or anything. If I put a new filter in, It will have an oil spot on it about 2" across after a month or two. (So i don't think the rings are that bad)

· Banned
12,968 Posts
Re: My compression test results (MkIIRoc)

Try another gauge, but i'd be more concerned with how even the result is, a cam with a wilder profile will lower compression test results.
Oil in the filter can be caused by a dirty breather.

· Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've used the guage on other cars and got varied results with them between cylinders...I was just happy that the were all really close. I'll try another guage, but I'll have to find one to borrow. I paid like 40 bucks for this one

· Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like I said I've used it on other cars, like my wife's saturn, and I get somewhere around 190-180-160-180. Is this just good, great or unheard of tolerance? Maybe I'm just lucky with my car for once in my life.

· Registered
766 Posts
Re: (MkIIRoc)

Is this test with the engine hot or cold? Cold, I'd say those numbers are good - hot, they are a little low, but nothing to be overly concerned about as long as you're getting to that 155 within 2 or 3 strokes...

· Registered
766 Posts
Re: (MkIIRoc)

Oh yeah, you're fine - I bet you'll see ~180 or higher hot - if you feel like it, warm it to temp and try again, and I bet you'll be pleasantly suprised. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by Questor at 2:08 AM 9-15-2005

· Registered
10,747 Posts
Re: (Vdubs)

Quote, originally posted by Vdubs »
Even is good, that's what you want, it's very rare to be that even tho, but it does happen. As i said before i'd be more interested in them being even than high.

Vdubs is right and after reading the rest of the thread if that is the cold specs then you are doing great. Compression specs are done on a hot engine so most people/techs refer to their past experiences which are much higher than yours. I once did a compression test on a cold Subaru [early 80's] and I was very supprized to find they were all less than 80 psi. I even used another gauge and they were all similar. Since I was still wet behind the ears another tech asked me if the engine was cold and I said yes, well when the engine was hot it was much much higher.
The other thing that some people forget is to keep the throttle open. Another trick is to keep the engine pumping until the compression stops going up. Some cheaper gauges do not react fast so they will read slower. Remember you can crank all day long it will only read as high as the engine is capable, it will not pump until the gauge blows.

· Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah I know...I kept it open and it only takes about 4 cycles to get it there.
he he...I was just picturing this 16 yo kid cranking and cranking his engine for 20 minutes and then the guage just shoots off the line and takes out a window

About checking them hot...Well you learn something everyday. I'll remember to do that from now on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.