VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Banned
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my grille sans the badge a couple of months ago and have been running it like this since then...

Finally Vegasjetta got off of his ass and went to the junkyard to go get me a badge that would fit the grille. No one could tell me for sure what would fit, but what ended up fitting was an early style 3 slat badge with the 3 tabs.
Well I originally planned on making a custom badge out of this cool jollyrogers belt buckle I found on ebay. Unfortunatly it's slightly smaller than the hole in the grille and I wanted to do something that wouldn't be rigged in there with zip ties. And I didn't want to adhere it to the grille. Hence my need for the badge that would fit.
Here is the buckle that I will be using...

So here we go, first step was to break out the dremel. Now I only have one of the VW badges that fits so off the bat any errors I make in dremeling are going to be a pain in the ass. So i decided after I dremel it out I will use flat black spraypaint so this way mistakes would go unnoticed until I repair them with liquid plastic.

And for good measure

So the badge is really thick and was a pain in the ass to dremel. The reason I'm using the badge to mount the buckle is so I can just clip it in and out with ease. So I can swap in standard VW badges or make new custom ones.

Time for a quick spray with normal household flat spraypaint. Going to leave it out over night to let it dry.

All dry

Time for some epoxy, liquid nails was what I grabbed for this project. If it doesn't work than I'll sand it off the buckle and find another badge to start over with.

After leaving it out to dry for a couple of hours, ready to mount

Mounted and looking cool

Final product, car needs to be washed but at least I have a badge now http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I'll probably go back one day and redo the whole thing since I've learned from my mistakes.

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Re: My custom pirate grille badge... (RedIrishman)

thats sweet doode! Looks good, definatly unique! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Re: My custom pirate grille badge... (G-rocco)

Shiver me timbers! That be lookin' mighty fine, lad!

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
dude, i like that! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif for originality!

·
Banned
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (ubermensch)

Quote, originally posted by ubermensch »
Bada$$....
....but, ARRRRGGGHH'NT you worried about it getting stolen?

The way it snaps into the grill. you'd have to break it to get it out with out pulling the grille off.
This grille uses the front 2 rad support screws to bolt into the car. It's really cool, no clips or tabs.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Re: My custom pirate grille badge... (RedIrishman)

Quote, originally posted by RedIrishman »

yo-ho, yo-ho a dubbers life for me!
looks like the theme has spread to your attire!!!

Modified by greatfox at 10:17 AM 11-1-2006

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.