VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if you guys could help me out...
A few months ago I replaced my front brake pads because the squeal shields had rusted apart and I was getting constant, horrible squeaking from my brakes; sometimes when I was driving even.
So I put in the new set of pads and they don't squeek at all BUT the pads "clunk" over bumps. It doesn't matter the size of the bump, as long as you don't have the brake on the pads make a horrifyingly loud, metalic clunk sound that makes others think my suspension is falling apart.
If you even just lightly hold the brake though the problem stops. Any suggestions? I dont want to buy another set of pads since these are squeak free...

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (Pred)

haha these brakes didn't come with any anti rattle clips (what I call squeal shields). Maybe that's the problem...I just thought they had some fancy way to get around using the clips.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (Batan)

can you buy the clips separate? if so where; do places like AutoZone sell them?
I really dont want to have to buy new brakes, and since it's been like 3 months that I've lived with the torture they porbably won't take this set back.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Re: (mediumbluemetalic)

OEM brake pads come with these so i dont know if the dealersip would sell them separately.
when i went to get my new pads i went to the dealer and they were actually only $5 more expensive than aftermarket pads

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Re: (vwest)

Not all pads include them, even though they ought to IMO. I am a fan of Mintex pads, but they are one who does not include them; I just keep in mind that I need to get them as well for my 9.4" brake-equipped cars.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

how do you install these clips? i had them once for mine because my car does the same exact thing, but when i picked them up, i figured someone misunderstood and they were the wrong piece so i returned them.
you can buy them seperately, i did, before i returned them.
gotta go to a shop tomorrow to work on my tranny so maybe i'll pick these up and actually give them a try, just need to know what to do with them.
oh, just go to a dealership, they have them . . . let me search through some receipts and old posts and stuff and see if i can find a part number

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (pbundy)

The clips for my old pads were very rusted when i took them off, but basically they just fit over the outer face of the pad (facing the wheel or the engine but NEVER the disk). They only fit one way, but different manufacturers have different styles.
...edit: But I have a question: Were the Mintex pads originally designed for clips to be bought extra or were they designed to be used without clips?
...I have a terrible histroy of deteriorating clips
they make your brakes sound like crap. I'd almost rather the clunk than the "chatter"

Modified by mediumbluemetalic at 12:04 AM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

a chatter? so even if i replace them, or put them on because i was told i was missing them, i'm still gonna have noise?
here are the part numbers
191-615-269-A
191-615-270-A
cost me 5.80
looks like 2 of each are needed

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Re: (pbundy)

The Mintex pads were designed to be direct replacements for the OE pads. Here's my thinking on why they don't include the anti-rattle clips: They probably assume that you either a) should know enough to get clips in preparation of the pad replacement, or b) can re-use the old ones.
Even when I sold parts over-the-counter at the VW dealer, pads didn't always come with them. There are 4 main OE suppliers of brake pads to VW & Audi: ATE, Pagid, Jurid, and Textar; the only one that consistently includes the clips is ATE in my experience. Pagid is hit-or-miss, and Jurid & Textar 9 times out of 10 do not include them.
With how flimsy the clips are even when new, I usually plan ahead by getting them when I replace my pads. The PO of my '91 Jetta didn't, and I recognized that sound the first time I drove it.

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
So the noise is just the pads rattling around inside the caliper? I still notice some rattling when the brakes are applied.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (WickedMystic)

The "chatter" or "squeal" only comes when the clips degenerate over time. Based on the quality of the clips it may or may not happen quickly.
The "clunk" is from the clip-less pads rattling around inside caliper.
If you are hearing "chatter" or "squeal" when the brakes are applied you might need to clips or may have some dirt somewhere on the disks or pads.
If you are hearing the "clunk" when the brakes are applied then i'm not sure what your problem is. I only have to slightly apply the brakes to stop the "clunk" over even the biggest bumps. Dont mistake brake "clunk" or generic suspension "clunks."

·
Registered
10,252 Posts

Yeah it's more of a chatter, I checked the clips and I can move them around and almost pull them out w/ my hand. It's dark out and I can't really see, so I'm pretty sure it's the clip that I'm grabbing at. It's a thin piece of metal on either side of the caliper. I could use some new pads anyway, i'll order the kit and go from there.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts

I have 100% the exact same problem. ... and I re-used my old clips. Thanks for the part numbers... that noise is getting annoying.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

yea! i picked up my clips today too! was gonna ask the guy at the shop if he could print me out a diagram of that part so i'd be able to tell better how to put them on but i forgot to ask.
so yes, ditto! someone said they only go one way, but any more directions than that?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts