VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just bought my first VW after a few years of learning the scene and working on a few VWs. A friend of mine found this 1983 GTI for 800 obo and when all was said and done I got the car for $550 bucks. Couple dings, minor rust, little rips, but nothing major. Since these pics Ive lowered it with some Neuspeed Races I found in the junkyard and installed an Alpine head unit I got from a thrift store. Total spent so far= $650 not counting gas. This has turned out to be the best investment ever, even without powersteering or A/C. Who needs that stuff?
Only have some pics of when I first got it, Ill post some later now that its lowered and cleaned up quite a bit.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Re: (OptimusGlen)

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Welcome to our world.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (Killah Cabby)

Wow can't believe I have to resurrect this post from this far back. Damn this forum moves fast.
Just wanted to whore out my new wheels that I picked up at the junk-yard, along with it being lowered and not as ugly.

Next...a clutch, cause this bad boy went out shortly after me getting it. Now I have a 272 webb cam, a dual outlet mani, and some brake upgrades for it. The fun will never stop

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (bagpipegoatee)

yea, damaged is a kind discription. These are the all silver/machined variety, which I think makes the old thing look a bit fresher.
Id take a picture of the old wheels to show the increase in hawtness, but take my word for it when I say they were bad. The old owner didnt know they werent curb feelers basically.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Re: (flip flop)

Oh yeah, not near as ugly now
Damn nice car.
Hey replace the trany pushrod tube seal when you do the clutch.
Probably why your clutch went in the first place, leaks trany fluid right into the clutch.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (fatmobile)

Thanks for the kind words
I actually went to the yard to get a set of 15" black mesh wheels, but a friend talked me into these instead. Came off a 1989 GTI 16v golf with bilstein HDs, some springs, sway bars, crossdrilled rotors, and a missing motor. Had extra guages and a second 02 (which was purchased for $2 just incase it was a wideband
) The car definatly had some work on it. also snagged the braided lines from the brakes for my 10.1 swap a little down the road for $4. All the VWs in the junk yards around here are prolly from more major cities and trucked in, so we get some good stuff sometimes. That makes neuspeed races, almost perfect snowflakes with tires, and braided lines so far from the yard. Gotta love that

It might be a combination of things, the clutch still works, but will slip in about every gear. I believe its just worn out, but I will be replacing all the seals (pushrod, input shaft) as well as doing a bolt kit, all the motor mounts, rear main seal, oil pan and windage tray (as long as black forest still has that sweet deal going on
). I heard from someone to not replace the throw-out bearing unless its bad, is this generally true or should it be treated as a maintainance item when doing the clutch?
Coming soon 8v disc, 16v plate, lightened flywheel, and hopefully some euro bumpers http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Plans are to do a scirocco dual light front with a duck bill. I was never a huge fan of squares, but couldnt pass this up for that price, and I dont feel like doing a round conversion. Too many of those around anyways

Modified by flip flop at 2:45 AM 8-14-2005

Modified by flip flop at 2:46 AM 8-14-2005

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.