VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 100 Posts

· Registered
3,475 Posts
Thanks!
Trying to figure out what im going to do for an engine.. Just got the call from the head shop.. to get the head done is going to cost 657$. needs 8 valves and 8 guides.
I want to keep it a diesel, but I dont want to have over a grand in a na 1.6... But I dont have the money laying around to make it a TDI either..
I guess in the mean time I will throw the 2.0L 16V out of the other caddy in there while I figure it out.. :(
i would get it fixed if i were you i love the originality of 1.6 N/A ill never swap mine out

· Registered
5,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well, everyone around here gets about 250 just to do a "valve job".. ie, clean up and check the head, surface, and cut the seats...
Everyone charges about 15 bucks a hole to press in the guides, which from what I understand need to be reamed after installation.. Thats 120, up to 370..
Plus the price of the guides and valves..
Even at 400, its more than I want to spend right now...

As far as not wanting to take the 16V back out...Hmm, I probably wont be too attached to it.. LOL.. I never really been all that in love with 16V's.. I used to have one in the late 90s. It was ok.. But it wasnt all that great so I converted it over to K jetronic with lambda, it got a little better, then put a turbo on it, then ripped it all out and went 8 valve turbo with 8:1 compression 1.8 and an ABA head and standalone EFI.. at that point I was happy.

I just cant see putting the money in the 1.6 though.. Even if I could have the head back for 400, still need to freshen the bottom end, and no real idea if the injection pump has a bunch of life left in it.. I will be over a grand in no time, for a 1.6 NA..

Ooo, just remembered.. Some dude had a 1.6 on a local unrelated forum for 500 over a year ago and he still has it.. he still wants 500 for it, but I forgot all about that.. Maybe I will give him a call and head down south!

· Registered
5,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
whats the condition of that 16v? i want to put one in my truck one of these days:D

It's decent. 2.0L 16V running on Rado Digi 1. Depending what I do with that caddy, it may keep it as is, or get swapped over to a non forced induction ECU, or turn into a 16VT, or become a 20VT on a standalone...

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

· Registered
5,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Haha Erik. If I make it you gots no excuse lol...

So today the last wheel came in. Was going to make up a shopping list for parts to put on the credit card and got side tracked...

I decided to do a zero dollar axle flip to even out the stance... not only did I go this route because im a cheap ass, I just don't like the bolt on kits from an engineering stand point....

After the axle is removed notice the locater pin. The round part is obviously on the bottom of the spring because that's where the axle was. This needs to be flipped to the top..

Now the round part of the pin is on the right side of the spring...

Then used a cut off wheel to get the spring plates off of the axle...

Notice the axle has holes in it for the pin. I placed the plates on the spring to see how much they protrude. The barely stuck out of the plate so rather than drill a pair of holes I wasn't sure where to put in the beam, I decided to shave the pin down with a 5" sander... I only took off maybe 0.030".....

After that centered up the beam and bolted it in...side to side I centered it up to the old rust lines left on the beam by the u bolts...
I remember people saying that they noticed after lowering caddy's the axle seems off center. Even though the distance from my spring to the backing plate is exactly the same on both sides, I have noticed this too... Passenger side sticks out 1/2 inch further!

Jacked it back up, loosened the u bolts and slid the beam 1/4 inch to the drivers side. Much better!

And finally .............

I think I got a chubber.

I still have to adjust the front-back since its 1/8" off between the left and right side, then I will weld the plates back on the axle. I ran out of time tonight. I didn't get out there til 9pm and only worked til 11. Considering nothing was even taken off yet(all brakes and everything were still hooked up) I think it was decent progress:D

· Registered
5,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks! I agree. Couldn't be happier with where it's at.

I kinda look forward to it moving on its own power and parking it next to the Ford for comparison..

Yes. Im a mess and have lots of vehicular interest.
I don't think the caddy is going to handle the mud as well...

· Registered
297 Posts
That's a super sweet looking ride! You did a fantastic job on the body work! :beer:
I wish I lived closer... I'd try to talk you out of those late westy fenders and grill.
I hope my Cabby turns out half as nice as your Caddy!

· Registered
1,278 Posts
Nice job on the paint! Looks great!

I'd drop off my Rabbit and let you paint it, but I'm afraid when I got it back, it'd be round eyed. :laugh:

I think that truck is going to be awesome. I'd stick with the diesel and maybe turbo it. You were saying you wanted to do this to save money on fuel. You can't argue with 50mpg. :thumbup:

· Registered
5,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Nothing wrong with round eyes!
Although thinking way back in the day on my buddies mk1 gti, on the other caddy I may consider doing Rocco 2 euros. Gives a real chunky look to a mk1.

Welp I found a motor. I hope it runs. Stopped off for the night in Stuart to get a few hours of sleep, then up at 5(I hope) to head down to lake worth to be there by 7 to pick up this 1.6D....:)

· Registered
5,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Yeah! I think yours is one of the posts I saw. What did you do to flip it? Did you get the shift resolved?(without a 1/2" spacer on one wheel)

Good morning! 4 hours of sleep, let's dtive south an hour and change, go pick up this diesel, then about 4 hours of driving back to the house:D

· Registered
1,528 Posts
Get that motor in :thumbup: that thing is looking so sexy!

If I knew you were coming my way I would have seen if you could have brought a passenger side diesel motor mount. I am at the point now where I will just cut one down to use it! :banghead:

Sucks being ready to drop a motor in and not being able to find a mount local.

· Registered
5,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Well I got the motor in.... in the back pf the dodge lol. Its dirty rusty and ugly but supposedly runs.

I tell you what.. I know there's a mount in the wrecking yard. Make it worth my while to pull it and I will go get it Monday and mail it to you.

21 - 40 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.