VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Takes about an hour. the difficulty is in removing the bolts. you'll need the allen wrench apexs(sockets) so you don't strip out the bolts. make certain you tap each one in and you shouldn't strip one. Be very careful of the oil feed line. its NOT flexable and should not be played with in any way or you could snap it. The oil return line can be a pain but I usually remove it first and install it last.
if you get the full monty rebuild with an inlet like my charger you might find it easier to pull the alternator out so you don't have the difficulties in turning the charger to the exact angle required to remove it with the alternator still installed.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Pulling the altnator is sugested makes everything a lot easer and while you at it with the car sitting...... wating...... oh yea ummm.. go ahead and fix any leaks and clean the engine bay up a little I did that and replaced all the suspenson in the front while I was at it good luck

[Modified by G60NUT, 5:10 PM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (G60NUT)

okay that sounds far more complicated than anything ive ever done myself to a car, which is practically nothing.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (G60ING)

man i wish i had some friends with mechanical aptitude or inclination. wait . I wish I had mechanical aptitude or inclination. Its just not something easy to get into when you cant get started and you dont want to blow up your car, or do something else really stupid... oh well.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Re: (wvadam)

I take it that you really don't desire to learn or you are afraid of putting your info out on the net. Because I bet there is somebody with in an hour drive of you that wouldn't mind showing you whats going on. But the dealer will be more than happy to pull the charger for you.
Their cost is $200+ that $$$ is what opened crez's eyes to meeting up with some other VW people. Now he goes to all the VW shows he can get away to. Frank

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Re: (G60ING)

It doesn't hurt to have all the right tools as well. But trust me, it is not hard to take out a charger, I hadn't done it a 2 weeks ago I just jumped in. The hardest part can be removing the pulley so the charger clears the back mounting bracket. Some people say you dont have to remove the pulley but others say it is necessary
. Obviously I found it easiest to take off the pulley. The other hard part is snaking an extension through the silencer box to get that bolt out of the charger outlet. There are some good pictures on http://www.g-lader.com/ but its in german or something and its a rallye golf in the pictures so it has a different outlet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts