VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Volkswagen Golf R
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to make a post about my recently totalled Golf R and the new one I recently picked up. Wanted to share my experience with the first car including everything I had done to it, what I learned and what I will be doing all over again on my brand used 2019 Jazz Blue Golf R :)

Hopefully someone finds some value in this post!

So almost exactly a year ago I purchased my first 2019 Golf R. I was shopping around for one for about a year and a half and after seeing a few cars, I finally found the one. It was in perfect shape (only 19k kms), well taken care of and fairly priced. It wasn't my first choice colour but I quickly fell in love after seeing the car in person. It had a few tasteful mods done by the previous owner as well that included a full stage 1+ Unitronic ECU and stage 1 TCU tune.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Paint protection:

Being a black car and working in the automotive protection industry, I booked the car in right away to have it fully wrapped with Ceramic Pro instant healing PPF. I absolutely can't stand the look of swirls, scratches and stone chips so having the car fully wrapped with a premium ceramic coated and instant healing PPF was a no brainer for me. I also had the wheels, brakes and exhaust tips coated with Ceramic Pro as well. I essentially wanted the car to be incredibly easy to maintain without having to worry about swirling and scratching the paint. Being a low mileage car and something I wanted to keep for a long time with all year round driving, the investment to have this work done made sense to me.

The car also already had a light tint done by the previous owner however I had that removed for a darker 15% Ceramic IR tint for a nicer look as well as better heat rejection to help keep the interior cool in the summer.

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

Lessons:

Well after having the black car for a year I can safely say I definitely do not want another black car. I absolutely loved the way it looked when clean especially after the modifications I did (will go over those below). The problem with a black car is it shows dirt and dust more. After a drive home it already looked dirty. However if I were to ever get another black car I would 110% have to have it fully wrapped again.

What a life saver having a full body PPF on a black car is. Even a year later after literally washing the car almost every week (seriously) not only was it incredibly easy to clean but there were no swirls or scratches in the film at all. Literally looked incredibly every-time after a wash. I can't recommend a full body PPF on a black car enough. I would say on a white or grey car it might not be worth wrapping the full car (my old GTI was grey) because you don't really see swirls and scratches in the paint but worth every penny on a black car.

The ceramic coating on the wheels, brakes and exhaust tips made cleaning those areas incredibly easy as well. Most of the time I could spray a wheel cleaner on the wheels and just rinse them off without having to scrub the wheels. The coating on the film also made the full car just less time consuming to clean.

The Ceramic IR tint was something I didn't know I needed in my life. All the glass including the windshield was tinted with a 15% Ceramic IR tint (70% on the windshield so I can see lol) and wow the heat rejection a full Ceramic IR tint package provides is just incredible.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Grille

As we speak my brand used 2019 Jazz Blue Golf R is getting fully PPFed again with a full Ceramic IR tint job as well. Worth every penny in my opinion. The blue on this car so far is a lot better at staying clean but I loved the PPF on the black car so much I had to have it done again on this car. Especially being a rare spektrum colour it must be protected!!

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Blue

In conclusion any sort of investment into paint protection on a long term ownership vehicle is worth it if you want to keep it in as brand new condition for as long as possible!!!! Also insurance covered me on the pay out once the car was totalled so the investment into the PPF wasn't lost due to the car being totalled.

Now onto the mods that I had done on the first car.....

Tire Wheel Car Sky Vehicle

Modifications:

Throughout the year I decided to modify the car further (it was inevitable) and ended up ordering Unitronic parts since the car was already tuned by them. Ordered the full carbon intake, charge pipes and turbo elbow. I also decided to get a set of wheels for the summer so that I can run the OEM prets in the winter. Resonator delete was done as well and at the same time as the wheels I ordered a set of 034 Motorsport dynamic + lowering springs. I eventually switched out the 034 springs for Eibachs (should have went with them in the first place) and finally had the car looking the way I wanted before it got rear ended... :(

Also picked up an OBDeleven for little changes like turning off the soundaktor...

Lessons:

My experience with the Unitronic parts were great and on the new car I am already lining up having it tuned again. However other than the turbo elbow and charge pipes this time around I am going to skip the carbon intake. Unless you really love carbon I don't think it is worth the money. It looks cool and gives a tiny bit more turbo noise but other intakes provide the same thing for less minus the carbon. This time around I highly recommend anyone looking for an intake to go with the Racingline R600 intake. OEM+ look and will save you some cash. Thats my choice this time around!

Car Hood Grille Motor vehicle Vehicle

Lowering the car was a disaster. The first shop I went to overcharged me for the install and the 034 motorsport springs were causing all kinds of noise that drove me nuts (coils touching from the design?). 034 support was great and they first sent me out sleeves to install on the springs in hopes that would solve my noise issue. Unfortunately it did not and the next step was replacing the strut mounts (they are incredibly finicky apparently). I still had noise issues and eventually had a fully new install done with Eibachs and all new parts at another reputable shop to ensure I had no issues. 034 refunded me for my springs but the cost to have everything done twice was just incredibly annoying. The Eibachs had no noise issues whatsoever at first but after a few months of driving I started to get a noise in the front suspension again. This time however it was most definitely the DCC shocks prematurely failing...

Automotive tire Light Coil spring Gas Auto part

Peripheral Output device Automotive tire Audio equipment Gadget

After going through all that just to have lowering springs done to the car this time around I am not going to lower it LOL. I still do highly recommend Eibach if anyone wanted a subtle drop with great ride quality and would probably stay away from the 034 springs. Just keep in mind having a reputable shop do the install and that springs will most definitely cause premature wear to the stock shocks. Just not worth the headache again in my opinion. Would much rather spend the coin on a rear sway bar or something.

Anyways here is the new car!

Wheel Tire Sky Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Hopefully someone will find some value from this post! If there are any recommendations on what I should do to the new car let me know. Super excited about the new car. Jazz blue looks awesome in the sun and luckily I was able to get my wheels from the totalled car... they look great in my opinion!

Anthony

·
Registered
2019 Volkswagen Golf R
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to share why I bought another Golf R.... But to be honest I just absolutely loved everything about the car I just couldn't see myself getting anything else.

Also I am not patient enough to wait 1.5 to 2 years for a MK8 golf r lol

·
Registered
2019 Volkswagen Golf R
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First off great post, Second off those wheels look great on the car! I know its not what the post is for but I just had to mention it.
Thank you! I wasn't sure about them at first but I think they look great. I feel like they would really suit the MK8 Golf R more though. Happy I was able to save them from the totalled car with no damage on them.

·
Registered
2016 Golf R DSG
742 Posts
First off, great second car. Definite upgrade. I would do a RSB and come cosmetic details. These cars are really well done from the factory and don’t need a ton of tweaking for the daily driver.

·
Registered
2019 Volkswagen Golf R
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First off, great second car. Definite upgrade. I would do a RSB and come cosmetic details. These cars are really well done from the factory and don’t need a ton of tweaking for the daily driver.
I agree! Excited to have the PPF fully done this week and start enjoying the Golf R again. Hoping to run a couple track days so a rear sway bar is on the list to do for this year.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I loved the lessons learned in each section. It's amazing to be able to take these lessons and start over, not having to live with the mistakes, but rather carry them over to the next journey and make it everything you wanted.

The blue will treat you better. A little easier to take care of than black, and you have some cool wheel color choices to choose from. Bronze and blue look fantastic together.

If you don't want your Prets, I'll gladly take them off your hands for you. At a small fee, of course ;)

·
Registered
2019 Volkswagen Golf R
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I loved the lessons learned in each section. It's amazing to be able to take these lessons and start over, not having to live with the mistakes, but rather carry them over to the next journey and make it everything you wanted.

The blue will treat you better. A little easier to take care of than black, and you have some cool wheel color choices to choose from. Bronze and blue look fantastic together.

If you don't want your Prets, I'll gladly take them off your hands for you. At a small fee, of course ;)
Yes sir! If you don’t learn from mistakes you sure will keep making them! Everyone is telling me to lower the car but I still have PTSD from the last time as you know lmao. Maybe one day will see.

Will still be using the Prets as my winter wheels!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Excellent post, the last pic of your blue car has me thinking about those black overlays for the headlights on my car. How much did full PPF cost in your area? My local shop wanted $2500 for the front clip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nice writeup! I haven't had a black car, but I've had a couple white ones. They also never look clean. Also, when you park next to other white cars from other manufacturers, you'll see they'll have different shades of white - one I had looked like it was greenish white.

·
Registered
2019 Volkswagen Golf R
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Excellent post, the last pic of your blue car has me thinking about those black overlays for the headlights on my car. How much did full PPF cost in your area? My local shop wanted $2500 for the front clip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got the headlight eyelids done by Badgeskins gives it a little bit more of an aggressive look but also has to be done to black out the amber in the corners of the headlights anyways.

Ended up costing me $5500 + taxes for the full body PPF including headlight and taillight tint + ppf on the door sill. Definitely not cheap but it really is the ultimate protection package you can go with. Ceramic Pro’s ppf also comes pre coated so I had the wheels, calipers, exhaust tips and glass also coated so the full exterior is completely protected.

check out the finished pictures:
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Car Sky Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Grille Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Sky

Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle Car

1 - 20 of 21 Posts