VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yo whats up fellas new to dubs but always been my favorite cars and i was finally able to buy one

i picked this one up super cheap only 500 dollars
guy said it threw out black smoke so he thought it was the head gasket and tried working on it and eventually just bought a new car

here is a pic sorry i don't own a camera just a phone

2001 wolfsburg jetta 1.8T 154k i know its a lot he used to drive to work to Anaheim from San Bernardino but the car is in awesome shape interior and exterior
what do you guys think?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: my first dub!!! (idwurks)

lol i know that dirt makes her look ugly but shes really clean no dents she been gathering dust in the garage since 2008 when she broke down
the bumpers not on right either had to come of to load it on the dolly

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Re: my first dub!!! (EvolSonica)

shoot...at the very least you can make money parting it out
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Re: (Gr8mafy)

bump for a local http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
hope to see this at some meets when its fixed

·
Registered
220 Posts
Re: (clean'nblackmk4)

looks pretty close to my starting point. good luck and do work son!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
479 Posts
looks like when i got mine but mines a 2.0 :/ but i only paid 350! good luck with it man now me and u both have some work ahead of us my only problems is too many projects going at once ha!

·
Registered
7,715 Posts
FV-QR

lower the trailer

you cant go wrong with 500 bucks. no matter whats wrong with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: FV-QR (R32-Tech)

thanx fellas im exited to start work on this its going to be slow but steady im a college student at cal poly pomona so i dont have a lot of cash laying around...
gonna try and get her started this week im pretty sure its not the head gasket that would have yielded bluish white smoke the guy said black smoke and no power... im thinking maf sensor or boost leak any ideas?
paid registration this week second owner!!
i have 300 dollars saved already towards a nice suspension or maybe headlights any recommendations? im hopping to have more by the end of the month

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Re: FV-QR (mk4germs)

Nice find. Black smoke is raw fuel. Since the guy has no clue about what went wrong I would definitly get her running to see for yourself what's wrong. Charge the battery from sitting and pull the spark plugs. Once plugs are out go ahead and toss some oil maybe around a tablespoon into each cylinder to build up lost compression. Inspect your plugs for blackness since that is a sign of running rich which is what the guy said he saw from the tailpipe.
If black smoke is really what's going on it will be a fuel issue and it sounds like your on track. Maf, injector, o2, etc. Be sure to scan the car to aid in diag

·
Registered
184 Posts
Re: FV-QR (waabaah)

Quote, originally posted by waabaah »
Nice find. Black smoke is raw fuel. Since the guy has no clue about what went wrong I would definitly get her running to see for yourself what's wrong. Charge the battery from sitting and pull the spark plugs. Once plugs are out go ahead and toss some oil maybe around a tablespoon into each cylinder to build up lost compression. Inspect your plugs for blackness since that is a sign of running rich which is what the guy said he saw from the tailpipe.
If black smoke is really what's going on it will be a fuel issue and it sounds like your on track. Maf, injector, o2, etc. Be sure to scan the car to aid in diag

This is the most helpful post Ive seen in the forum in months.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by JDM IV »
Check the turbo too. My boy blew his and had loss of power (obv.) and it blew black smoke.

ginger, blown turbo will have white/whitish blue smoke, not black.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by V ScruB »

ginger, blown turbo will have white/whitish blue smoke, not black.

YIKES!! It was KP and his SR that he "built"

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! Even if all else goes wrong, you can still part it out and at least break even

Good Luck, hope to see it running soon.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts