VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi members, i just wanted to drop in and share my first MK1 Rabbit. Not my first VW i have had a 69 Bug and currently have a Kellison GT40K (not really a VW but has a 1600 duel port). Anyway covid and all happned to i am not going to my fathers shop anymore and was looking to get a driveway project. So browsing the classifieds i found what i was looking for a 1984 VW rabbit GL 4 door .. So its a 4 door, its a automatic ..BUT its rust free 137K miles and was 500 bucks. It needs headliner reglued, the hardware for the front side windows reglued, oil change, wheel bearings and could use new break shoes. I did have 4 new tires put on and a new muffler. Also i did the clear side markers and well. Good Deal? no ?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
A rust free Mk1 for $500 I’d say is a good deal any day. Got pics?

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I Would pass on the automatic.

And I also wouldn’t trust that someone is selling a “rust free” car for $500.

It would take considerable time to accurately asses if your chassis has rust hidden.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Been through it thoroughly, only rust is a small hole on the passenger rear under the bumper, the guy had a camp here in Maine and only drove it in the summer then wrapped it when he left. So no salt

·
Registered
29,160 Posts
That's a great deal for 500 bucks. :thumbup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so new muffler in, new fires in. I just ordered new rear shoes and front pads, front rotors. Front wheel bearings. And of course the oil sender light/buzzer loves to go off so i got new senders. Nothing i can really do about the automatic unless i want to replace it (not sure what i want to do yet). Just want to get it to 100% first then figure out what i want to do with it

Oh and amazing thing, the sunroof is aftermarket and does not leak ( first time i have seen that )

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Annoying oil pressure buzzer - so my high pressure oil sending switch is bad. Light and buzzer comes on a 2K and i grounded the lead to test it and it stopped so i know the sensor is bad. I have ordered a new sensor but my question is, Can i just ground off the lead and drive it around for a couple days ? Will that harm anything ?

·
Registered
29,160 Posts
Annoying oil pressure buzzer - so my high pressure oil sending switch is bad. Light and buzzer comes on a 2K and i grounded the lead to test it and it stopped so i know the sensor is bad. I have ordered a new sensor but my question is, Can i just ground off the lead and drive it around for a couple days ? Will that harm anything ?
As long as you don't have a real oil pressure issue, you should be good to drive the car around as is. There are two oil pressure sensors. One on the oil filter housing, and one on the head. The Bentley is more specific as to how the circuit with the buzzer works, I just don't recall how it works on top of my head.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i drove it around for a while, then i put it up on blocks to do my wheel bearings and front pads/rotors quickly realized i dont have a 7mm Allen wrench. So its just sitting there while my new set of wrenches come in the mail .

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, new oil,k&n oil filter and a high pressure oil sending switch and the buzz is gone. Makes driving it 100% better. Also new rotors and pads. Picture is of the old ones, they were not warn but a cheap and easy replacement. Had to check out the front wheel bearings anyway.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Installed the Amazon duckbill went on pretty good no issues. Got Devon epoxy for the corner window hardware, that's currently drying

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have no idea. I bought it just to keep me busy while I am not going down to my father's shop to work on my kellison ( pictured below) . I am starting to like it now that the small stuff is fixed , been driving it some. If I keep it I will lower it and put different rims on it ( I like the turbo ones but too expensive) and I would look to swap out the auto for a stick. But I might sell it too, not sure

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And in Maine.
yeah the only other MK1's i see are 2 junked out GTI's for 1200 ( really bad shape) and a 83 GTI in really good shape for 6500. Maine its hard to find older cars with out rust so i am super super surprised with this one, but it makes sense the owners before me never drove it in the winter so no salt/calcuim clor to rot it out and they covered it .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.