VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On average I've been only getting around 17 mpg. Any tips or suggestions as to what could be wrong? O2 sensor maybe? I don't think the SNS chip and 260 cam have anything to do with it since the car was getting the same mileage before I put those two items in. The Autotech chip that was in before I put the SNS chip in was running way too rich, so that alleviated some of the fuel consumption, but as to what else may be causing my poor gas mileage, I'm stumped...

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: My fuel mileage isn't Scottish...it's crrrrrrrrrrrrrap!!! (BrewDude)

probably for $38 and some of your time its well worth changing the o2 sensor on a regular basis.
also the blue cts sensor can trip out the car, as well as any vac leaks.
Hows that air fuel gauge reading at idle/cruising?

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Re: My fuel mileage isn't Scottish...it's crrrrrrrrrrrrrap!!! (mrkrad)

I suppose I can't compare because I don't have a stage 4, but I used to get 18 mpg, now I get 24-26, and I've replaced the O2 sensor and the blue coolant temp sensor. And the knock sensor. And several other sensors. Millions of baby bits. Arrggg.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Re: My fuel mileage isn't Scottish...it's crrrrrrrrrrrrrap!!! (sold on expense)

With my previous set-up neuspeed chip, hpII kit, I was getting extremely crappy fuel milage, when I installed my 30# injector's and SNS 5-5 chip, I thought it would only get worse, but it was much better, plus running better aswell, then I checked my co pot ohms, checked about 250ohms
pretty much running on fume's , an un-tampered with co pot! , I've heard different reading's posted here some 500+, some 1000+
, after setting it to 475ohms, it's running much smoother, not jerky at part throttle, I'm happy for now

·
Registered
10,269 Posts
Re: My fuel mileage isn't Scottish...it's crrrrrrrrrrrrrap!!! (helldriver1)

hell im happy my cars back up to 15mpg after i was down to 8mpg b/c the fuel line hose was leaking , but i still should be getting better and i dont know why , Blue CTS is fine and o2 is brand new

·
Registered
21 Posts
Re: My fuel mileage isn't Scottish...it's crrrrrrrrrrrrrap!!! (SSj4G60)

Guys mines stock and last time I checked I only get like 18 in the city and only like 23 or 24 on highway. I just took it in stride but is that bad?

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
Re: My fuel mileage isn't Scottish...it's crrrrrrrrrrrrrap!!! (mattcg6o)

if I drive for an hour on the highway with the cruise on at about 70, I can get about 30mpg

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Re: My fuel mileage isn't Scottish...it's crrrrrrrrrrrrrap!!! (mattcg6o)

Quote, originally posted by mattcg6o »
Guys mines stock and last time I checked I only get like 18 in the city and only like 23 or 24 on highway. I just took it in stride but is that bad?

That's what I was getting before my italian tune-up. I wouldn't endorse it, but it worked wonders on me. 120 mph in the desert (5200 rpm) for a minute really cleans out an engine, I now just got 26.6 mpg combined. Which is pretty damn good for a supercharged 4.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have this on mine aswell (neuspeed chip, hpII kit) and I regularly get 19-20 in town and 28-30 around 70mph on the freeway.
A few months back I caugt a strong tailwind and it was reading 35mpg @ 70mph, I havent been able to do that again

·
Registered
565 Posts
Re: (NeoGeoG60)

i get the same figures but i got no charger! i'm running bypassed for now. it's not fare! i think i should be getting much better mileage. my blue temp sensor is new and the o2 sensor makes my a/f gauge cycle ok..... WTF?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: (g60peru)

You have to figure you have a serious power loss with the Gladder bypassed, since the Corrado's are a pretty heavy car and therefore the engine has to work alot harder than it used to when accelerating or holding a constant speed on the freeway. All of which will effect youre mileage .

Modified by NeoGeoG60 at 12:11 PM 7-12-2003

1 - 11 of 11 Posts