VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 632 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My G60 swap and now the insurance replacement car

As posted on http://www.illicitvw.com/site/

You read that right boys, my project I'm working on right now is a G60 to replace the already installed 2.0 ABA in my 91 Jetta.
Here's the DL
I've got a 91 Jetta 4dr with an ABA, after running the ABA in my car for a year, I'm satisfied with the power and now looking for more. But ever since my scirocco days, I've always dreamed of doing a g60 swap in a scirocco. Well, as you may know, scirocco's aren't exactly easy to find anymore as me and about 4 other friends, we've owned and sold/scraped 10 of em in the windsor area. Plus my jetta is already CE2 ready and its pretty well a plug and play set up for Digifant 1.
Alot of my style is derived from the motorcycle world, so with this project, I decided I was going to take the time to clean, paint and polish my g60. I also wanted something that I can take with me from car to car. So what will look good resting under the hood of any car I own. Black, silver and a whole lotta bling of course. The jetta I'm throwing this into needs body work, and I'll either do it at some point or I'll just buy another shell of some sort.
Basically my goal is to build this project with the minimal ammount invested but yet I've set myself on a budget so if I can source parts cheaper here and there to get more done for the same ammount of money someone would pay if they did not have the knowledge to do the work themselves and had to pay someone to simply install the engine. After doing some research, the cheapest I found a good running g60+install was around $1500 so that was my budget and I want to see what I can accomplish with that kind of money and a little will power. But another rule I've set for myself is if I can offer a service that will only cost me time, (such as polishing) in exchange for money and/or parts, that it is fair game.
For certain, this is what I own towards this project
-Clean G60 with new gaskets, did not require rebuild nor did the charger... yet
-Wiring Harness & ECU
-Boge struts
-H&R Springs
-Neuspeed strut tower bar
my budget is about 2/3's used
As it stands right now, I have to fabricate a spacer for my powersteering pump because I've eliminated AC and the bracket for AC was the spacer b4.... so I've pretty well got it sorted out, but haven't had a chance to cut the material. and I also have to cut 4 new bolts I got for the super charger because they are about a 1/4" too long, no big deal really... but since I don't have a garage at my place, its all stuff I'm tryin to squeeze in between work and family.
After that is sorted out, I've got to go through my wiring harness and match it to a wiring diagram becuase the harness I have is a hack job. should only take a day or two, but once again, no time at the moment.
After those few problems are taken care of, I will be moving on to trying to find a 02A transmission set up so I can really take advantage of forced induction without blowning trannies all the time. Which I'm pretty sure I have lined up but I don't want to say anything until its sitting here.
Things have been moving along a little slow right lately. I am co-owner of a local Landscape & Snow Removal company and even though we don't have much snow, there's always some jackass complaining wanting us to salt their parking lots when they don't need it, and we've got tons of planning in and around the office for our spring/summer season. Plus having to live a family life, doesn't leave me a whole lot of time right now.
Anyway, I'm goin to work on the wiring for a bit, I've spent an hour writing this out, and I'm [email protected] tired of looking at the screen, any comments, opinions, whatever, post em up and I'll reply asap.
Keep checking back as I will update this post as I go
Cheers

Modified by Scirocco_Clan_Man at 11:59 PM 3-4-2007

Modified by Scirocco_Clan_Man at 5:35 PM 3-10-2007

Modified by Scirocco_Clan_Man at 2:30 PM 4-11-2007

Modified by Scirocco_Clan_Man at 11:45 PM 4-19-2007

Modified by Scirocco_Clan_Man at 2:10 PM 2-17-2010

·
Registered
21,114 Posts
Re: My g60 swap (Scirocco_Clan_Man)

Good luck with that timebomb.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Looks sweet.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Re: My g60 swap (Dreizehn)

Quote, originally posted by Dreizehn »
Looks sweet.

properly maintained it shouldnt blow, i said shouldnt...

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: My g60 swap (nobledub)

it was my buddy that owned the car b4 me and I got to test drive the car b4 I pulled the engine.... runs mint, even after sitting for 3 or so years.
But this isn't going to be my everyday driver. I have company vehicles to drive around from A to B and this is going to be my toy to bomb from time to time and to hit autocross races on the occasional weekends.

Modified by Scirocco_Clan_Man at 11:54 AM 3-5-2007

Modified by Scirocco_Clan_Man at 6:00 PM 3-10-2007

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: My g60 swap (Mean 'n Green86)

Quote, originally posted by Mean ’n Green86 »
the spade on the supercharger is the icing on the cake nice man

thanks!
I just drew it on with a marker then used a dremal and about 5 bits later you've got the finished result http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,547 Posts
Nice project. I paid $2500 for just my G60. (Motor/Charger/ECU/Harness) and then did all the work myself as well. It's very satisfying when it's up and running. My Jetta is however my daily/winter car. I too come from thr Bike world, so I actually ride my bike far more in summer then I drive my car.
I didn't polish or paint anything though, but then again that wasn't my goal at the time, and I now I enjoy the stock-ish apperance it has. Non dubbers, don't realize that the motor is not stock, and I like it that way.
As for your power steering pump, I too have A/C delete, I run an ABA water pump pulley, I hear the euro pulley is a better option, but I couldn't source one in time, and it works just fine, so I left it. I got a Corrado PS pump bracket, and then only one bolt doesn't line up with anything. You have to sort of make a bracket to hold the very front of the bracket.
My home made bracket actually came loose on my last Alberta trip, and the PS pump never moved, so it might not even really be needed. I can get pics of that for you later.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
looks good
just a tip...change all your motor mount before putting that thing ins
Stock solid g60 tranny mount
Solid front mount (BBM)
A2 solid rear mount
i installed my tranny mount yesterday..PAIN IN THE ASS...trust me do it before you put the motor in
good luck

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (G60 Carat)

Quote, originally posted by G60 Carat »
Nice project.
As for your power steering pump, I too have A/C delete, I run an ABA water pump pulley, I hear the euro pulley is a better option, but I couldn't source one in time, and it works just fine, so I left it. I got a Corrado PS pump bracket, and then only one bolt doesn't line up with anything. You have to sort of make a bracket to hold the very front of the bracket.
My home made bracket actually came loose on my last Alberta trip, and the PS pump never moved, so it might not even really be needed. I can get pics of that for you later.
Good Luck!

send em my way whenever you find em http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Quote »
looks good
just a tip...change all your motor mount before putting that thing ins
Stock solid g60 tranny mount
Solid front mount (BBM)
A2 solid rear mount
i installed my tranny mount yesterday..PAIN IN THE ASS...trust me do it before you put the motor in
good luck

Already got the bbm front mount and the rear mount is new from when I did the aba swap (less then 1 yr on it) and I plan on replacing the tranny mount anyway. But thanks for the heads up http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by Scirocco_Clan_Man at 1:15 AM 3-6-2007

·
Registered
17,597 Posts
Re: (Scirocco_Clan_Man)

Motor looks blingin', nice work.

You need to do the manifold, it looks left out!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (GTi2OV)

thanks for all the imput guys! Nice to know I'm goin in the right direction

As far as polishing the intake
1-I thought it needed more black
2-I have about 45-50 hours of polishing into the valve cover, s/c and alternator, so I'm pretty well polished out, however one day I'd like to get my hands on a spare g60 head and polish the outside of the head and port and polish the runners... I also have access to a flow bench so when I do that, I'll make sure the cylinders are balanced (recieving and discharging equal ammounts of air). And I'd like to polish the combustion chamber part of the head as well.

I found some interesting pics on vwvortex yesterday... I have a wiring diagram from mk2fanatic (thanks
) but this is a simplified version of what I'm dealing with right now.

Modified by Scirocco_Clan_Man at 3:46 PM 3-6-2007

·
Banned
6,907 Posts
Re: My g60 swap (Dreizehn)

Quote, originally posted by Dreizehn »
Looks sweet.

haha spoken soo true.. i think gladders know when they change hands.. they usually realize it about a month into ownership. then pooof

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Re: My g60 swap (_pineapplegti_)

so you have the aba in the car already? why not leave the aba block in the car and put all the g60 stuff on it ? i would think the longer stroke of the aba would make up for the extra work. i personaly had a aba soild lifer stage 4 g60 and it pulled like you wouldnt beleave. it took my buddies slighty moded vr no problem when it was at stock boost. stage 4 he wouldnt of had a chance in the world.
just an idea

·
Registered
6,547 Posts
What does aba bottom end with G60 head do to CR.ratio?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Re: My g60 swap (Vwnitrous16v)

g60 FTW! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
zipties for isv re-route? http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I'm in the process of building stg4 9A G60, hopefully will be ready by summer...

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: My g60 swap (Vwnitrous16v)

RE:
already have an aba in the car... but the g-ladder setup won't clear the intake. Plus g60 has the forged internals... plus if if put a 1.8 head on an aba block, you're compression ratio will go through roof. I wish I could though, it would have made it alot easier.
RE:
That harness is not my harness, it was a pic of one off the net, any luck tonight and I'll have my harness posted.
RE:
Those zip ties are going in the trash for some high quality hose clamps... I think I can afford to spend the few bucks for hose clamps lol

Anyway, I'm gonna get back to work, there will be a minor update tonight.

Modified by Scirocco_Clan_Man at 11:08 PM 3-6-2007

Modified by Scirocco_Clan_Man at 1:38 AM 3-7-2007

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: My g60 swap (Scirocco_Clan_Man)

Made up my power steering spacer to fit in place of the ac bracket (on the right)
On the left, you'll see I cut the new supercharger bolts to fit... they were about 1/4" too long but otherwise threaded in fine. Should work, I can zip a nut on no problems so it shouldn't be a problem going into the s/c.

I also contacted http://www.Concept1.ca today and ordered a complete mk2 polykit for $89.00 cnd, worked out to $108 after taxes and shipping. They said it would be here in about 4 days.
the kit I bought can be found here
http://www.concept1.ca/SUSPENS...s.htm
Part # BP22-2009
Also bought 2 mint control arms with calipers, rotors, knuckles, and a set of jetta taillights... I only wanted the control arms but for $25 for the lot, I wasn't about to complain.
The plan is to buy a 6-pack of POR15 paint and do all under the hood... but for starters I'd like to find a crossmember and paint it, as well as the control arms, steering rack, steering knuckles, suspension, etc... and assemble it with all new poly bushings so I'll be able to unbolt the crossmembers in the car and slide everything out all at once to replace it with the restored assembly.
I think that'll be a nice touch to restore this 16 year old cars ride.
Well, I was going to get into the wiring today, but it looks l like we're calling for snow tonight which means I'll be working.
later

Modified by Scirocco_Clan_Man at 2:23 AM 3-7-2007

1 - 20 of 632 Posts