VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So last year me and my girlfriend both ended up selling our mk3’s and buying mk4s. Mine quickly became a money pit and it took some convincing but she decided to do some little things to her car and since she wasn’t able to afford an r32 she decided we would kinda make a little replica. Its still in progress but heres what shes done so far.

Heres the car the day we got it in Sammamish. It was the cleanest one we found from Bellevue to Puyallup.
Sorry for the angled picture

We decided it would just be budget mods since a car isn’t exactly what she wanted to be throwing her money into. We found an H&R cup kit for $80 on CL so she picked that up and threw some lamin-x on the front since there was no way I could convince her to spend $100+ on headlights. and it sat like this for a few months

A few weeks ago we came across a good deal on some Aristos in Wenatchee that would need some love so we went and got those. They had some work to be done.

So they all went to the sand blaster (plug to tyler @sandblasters inc in Marysville 360 658 9372) who gave me a very good price and turned them around in one business day. One went out for a small weld (plug to tim @ dependable wheel repair) who gave a good price and turned the wheel around in 4 days. Once they were back it was time for prep work. Filling and sanding so Ami helped with the work since they were for her car.

Heres one filled, sanded and primed VS one with first coat of paint.

With some patience they came out pretty good for the amount of money we had to work with.

We got an amazing deal on Michelin tires and picked those up along with some spacers I found for pretty cheap.

Added 10mm spacers to the rear and 4mm to the front for a final product. Car is looking pretty good so far and they are all her own decisions so im happy she has good style. A few more slight mods to come..lighting, badgless and bra.

We tooks some pics today before I went to work and then threw in the center caps off my bros turbo beetle wheels when he got home. Comments welcome.:)

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
OP - Wheels look good.

Did you have them sand-blasted or (media) glass bead-blasted?

Type of primer and paint used?

Did you follow with clearcoat? If so what kind?

Finish with wetsand and polishing?

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
OP - Wheels look good.

Did you have them sand-blasted or (media) glass bead-blasted?

Type of primer and paint used?

Did you follow with clearcoat? If so what kind?

Finish with wetsand and polishing?

- sand blasted
-dupli-color filler primer
-dupli- color wheel coating for paint
-dupli-color perfect match protective clear coat finish (two coats of every thing sprayed on the wheels)

and didnt wet sand or polish. yes i would have liked to have gotten them powder coated but again it was a budget project

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
That right there is a keeper. :thumbup: For the girlfriend and her working on her car. Probably less than $1000 into it after the purchase but looks $1,000,000 better.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That right there is a keeper. :thumbup: For the girlfriend and her working on her car. Probably less than $1000 into it after the purchase but looks $1,000,000 better.
yeah i know right. were about $1300 into it so not bad at all. concidering the wheels are $1200+ to buy brand new. she loves the new look and put her own money into it so i know the wheels will stay fresh.

·
Registered
2013 Golf R, 2013 X5 35D, 1997 E320
21,191 Posts
we both dont like the look of joey mod at all thats why we chose the laminx. joey mod just reminds me of altezas
It would look a lot more like r32 or 20th headlights then that. Which is after all what you said she was wanting.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts