VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
How close was your headliner match relative to oem? Where did you get it? I guess it's headliner and rear c pillar trims that need to be wrapped. Otherwise i'm assuming a+b pillars are reusable from R to fit in wagon?
I have to spend time on rear bench work as well. That stock wagon interior has to go! As well as solution for door cards.... Half tempted to bolt the R front doors onto my wagon , if they'd fit??? Probably wouldn't be that simple....... But it would make door panel install a breeze and window switches would be in the spot i want them in. Plus no wiring mod for front doors !

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
How close was your headliner match relative to oem? Where did you get it? I guess it's headliner and rear c pillar trims that need to be wrapped. Otherwise i'm assuming a+b pillars are reusable from R to fit in wagon?
I have to spend time on rear bench work as well. That stock wagon interior has to go! As well as solution for door cards.... Half tempted to bolt the R front doors onto my wagon , if they'd fit??? Probably wouldn't be that simple....... But it would make door panel install a breeze and window switches would be in the spot i want them in. Plus no wiring mod for front doors !
The material is darker than oem, more black than grey. The golf A and B pillars are different and I wasn't able to use them. I ended up spraying the A,B,C and D pillars with black cloth paint and it came out pretty decent. Wrapping them would be a nicer solution, I just didn't have the time, eventually I'll probably do that. The door cards might be doable, but not without some work, let me know how it goes. Also if you plan on using the R seats, keep in mind that the lower part of the rear seat is different and you'll have to come up with a custom solution or use a grey pleather seat from a wagon, it almost matches.

I used Headliner Magic brand material from ebay, I''l look for the exact link later.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Finally had some time today to do some "upholstery" to make the R rear seat fit. This involved making the jetta seat frames fit the R foam. One day this week I'll install the front seats and I'll have a full R interior.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Updates are cut and paste from another forum...

So a friend mentions that he needs a cheap wagon for commuting/hauling crap and asks me to find him a deal like I got on my wagon. I start searching craigslist and find a local one at a decent price and go check it out. The car is a mint white 5 speed 2010 that's way cleaner than mine. Immediately the wheels start turning and long story short, I work out a deal to sell my blue one to my buddy and I buy the white one. Here's where it gets really stupid, I'm now in the middle of a two-way swap. The R swap is coming out of the blue into the white one and the blue one will be a stock 5 speed (previously automatic). I've done many swaps but never from car to car, so this should be interesting. It's also funny that this will be the first and second Golf R swapped sportwagen in the world, I think. :D

I'll post a a bunch of pics as I go along, for anyone interested in my stupidity.
I'm also keeping track of all my time just to get an idea of how much time I'm wasting.

Here it is in it's minty glory

Fresh 2 year inspection sticker

In the garage just hours after inspection

Engine out a few hours later

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Some updates, I've got the white car completely stripped and the blue car has the 2.5 dash, wiring, engine/trans, and front suspension back in. I'm concentrating on getting the blue car done first and off to it's new owner. It should be done early next week. So far, I've got about 40 hours into this.

Here's a bunch of pics...

2.0 back out

2.5 back in

Engine bay cleaned up nicely

New prop shaft carrier brackets mocked up waiting for welding

Interior all stripped out

Shell all ready to go

Keeping everything bagged and organized

ABS and fuse box connectors de-pinned

2.5 dash and wiring

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I haven't posted in a while, but today I finished the white car and drove it for the first time. For those interested in how much time it took, I'm at around 90 hours total to take both cars apart and put them back together.
I think a gti front bumper and fenders is next at some point this year.

Some more progress pics...

Wiring going back in

My "custom" shifter cable bracket

2.0 going back in

Tank bracket welded in and extra pump hole cut out

Back in the garage to wrap things up

De-badged and re-badged

Installing oem rear view camera

First drive today in the rain

·
Registered
108 Posts
You're crazy man!
What did you do for the prop shaft hanger and the fuel tank on the white shell since you didn't have an R to cut them from?

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
You're crazy man!
What did you do for the prop shaft hanger and the fuel tank on the white shell since you didn't have an R to cut them from?

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
I just bought 3 new brackets from the dealer, was under $100

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was following your blue build over on the other page...glad I found it made it's way here. A little sad to see the blue one gone (I offered to buy it!!!:p) but glad you worked something out and managed to do it...AGAIN.

Offer still on the table for this white one...if down the road you ever plan to sell. Hit. Me. Up. :wave:

Until then...I'll be watching to see whatever else you have in store. :popcorn::laugh:

·
Registered
617 Posts
So are you going to go through all the wagon colours ? Hahaha !
I put R ft struts/brakes on mine ( cause I sold the rf corner) Still no 4mo swap yet . Did trade to highline leather though .
I feel so low next to your level ! At least I got a Lupo on the road ! And saved an a3 fsi from the crusher ! I'll update whenever I pull mine off the road . Good work !

·
Registered
492 Posts
Wait, besides the fact that this is facking amazing x2, how in the world did you change the car diagram on the display via vagcom???

·
Registered
617 Posts
Wait, besides the fact that this is facking amazing x2, how in the world did you change the car diagram on the display via vagcom???
I have never done this . But with info from the original wagon full scan it should be relatively easy . But if I can't figure it out , I know who I'm contacting!!!!

21 - 40 of 47 Posts