VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

My Gonzo Tuning GTT / E85 Build Thread

31K views 80 replies 26 participants last post by  4ceFed4 
#1 · (Edited)
My project is nearing completion yet again, so figured I would assemble another build thread to show the world what I did to my poor little 1.8T and what it yielded. If I don't mention it, it's stock AWP 1.8T. I won't get into any of the body, suspension or brake modifications here since it is the 1.8T forum, but the car is very light and is specifically built for SCCA FP Solo competition as well as HPDEs.
For more information on the non-engine modifications, take a look at this thread I started in the autocross forum: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6126117-My-MK4-GTI-Setup-Thread

NEW BUILD

Engine:
-ITG 3" cone filter
-VR6 MAF housing with an AWP MAF sensor
-FFE custom aluminum turbo inlet pipe
-N75 J valve
-Forge Evo 7 diverter valve
-GonzoTuning/GTS GTTx K04-02x Turbo, port matched to manifold by FFE (https://www.gonzotuning.com/hardware/mk4/gtt/)
-Forge adjustable wastegate actuator, customized for the K04 by FTD Motorsports and FFE
-High flow cast exhaust manifold, ported and machined by FFE
-42DD MK4 K04 downpipe with test pipe and 3 O2 bungs
-FFE custom 3" side exit aluminum V-banded exhaust with 3.5" Vibrant aluminum muffler
-FFE custom aluminum intercooler charge pipes
-BSH FMIC core
-SEM small port passenger side intake manifold
-OEM R32 throttle body
-iABED Industries 5.7L motorsports baffled oil pan
-830cc Siemens injectors
-Hitachi bolt-down "E" coil packs
-NGK BKR7E .028" plugs
-AMSoil 5w40
-E85 fuel (also maps for 93 and 100 octane)
-DeatschWerks DW65v in-tank high flow fuel pump
-Integrated Engineering Deleted SAI/N249/EVAP + AC
-GonzoTuning Stage 4 software
-Valeo 3 row radiator, custom plumbing and flanges to delete heater core
-Mocal 19-row oil cooler with -10 Aeroquip braided hoses and fittings (factory exchanger deleted)
-eBay 500cfm fan behind oil cooler
-034 Motorsports catch can
-Eurojet lower PCV hose
-IE connecting rods
-Fluidampr crank pulley
-Shine Racing Service custom solid aluminum upper motor mounts, FFE Racing motor plate to replace the factory dogbone mount
-Prosport gauges for oil press/oil temp/boost/EGT and an Innovate MTX-L wide band air:fuel

Transmission/Drivetrain:
-2005 02J with a Peloquin LSD
-Raxles axles
-ClutchMasters FX400 6-puck clutch kit with steel lightened flywheel
-DieselGeek Sigma5 short shifter
-billet shifter mount bushings

PREVIOUS BUILD
Engine:
-ITG 3" cone filter
-VR6 MAF housing with an AWP MAF sensor
-some crappy silicon TIH
-N75 J valve
-Bailey's DV
-GonzoTuning GTT Turbo (https://www.gonzotuning.com/hardware/mk4/gtt/)
-Godspeed high flow cast exhaust manifold
-Godspeed 2.5" downpipe
-TT/Borla 2.5" exhaust
-Alamo Autosports hard boost pipes
-EvoMS FMIC
-830cc Siemens injectors
-Hitachi bolt-down "E" coil packs
-NGK BKR7E .028" plugs
-AMSoil 5w40
-Walbro 255lph inline pump w/ USRT harness
-Integrated Engineering Deleted SAI/N249/EVAP + AC
-GonzoTuning Stage 4 software
-Valeo 3 row radiator
-Setrab 19-row oil cooler with -10 Aeroquip braided hoses and fittings
-eBay 500cfm fan behind oil cooler
-Eurojet PCV hoses
-IE connecting rods
-Fluidampr crank pulley
-034 track density motor mounts
-Prosport gauges for oil press/oil temp/boost/EGT and an Innovate MTX-L wide band air:fuel

Transmission/Drivetrain:
-2005 02J with a Peloquin LSD
-Raxles axles
-ClutchMasters FX400 6-puck clutch kit with steel lightened flywheel
-billet shifter mount bushings and brass cable end bushings
-TT short shifter

New Dyno:

Still at 27 PSI with a little more timing up top than before. Performed on a very hot and muggy day at FFE Racing.

Old Dyno:

Was done at 27 PSI with relatively conservative timing. In a couple weeks I'm going to run the same setup on the Dynojet at ForceFed, then from there bring the boost up a little bit (~30) and dial in the timing more. I'm super happy with the fat powerband and driveability of the car so far, just what I was shooting for when I took the leap from stock turbo.

See less See more
#3 ·
When i get my turbo back im switching to gonzo :thumbup:

#7 ·
Great numbers Jeff! Aren't you happy you listened to me and hopped on the rollers? With a bit more boost, and your timing fully optimized for E85, the car will shread the auto-x courses this year. (We have to set up a schedule of solo events we can all go) :thumbup::thumbup:

#17 ·
...and the original wastegate actuator that came with the turbo! I have no plans to touch the head or IM, not saying this is the end though...

That's how it's done Jeff! Amazing dynojet numbers! :thumbup:
Thanks Max! Did you have a chance to dyno with your new downpipe on today?

Damn, them are impressive #'s:thumbup: Did Gonzo do this via E-mailed logs or was he there to tune it??
Thanks! It was all done over email.

#15 ·
Damn, them are impressive #'s:thumbup: Did Gonzo do this via E-mailed logs or was he there to tune it??

#22 ·
Well, seeing your results and knowing my numbers per tune; I think it's about time for a little friendly competition ;)

How about we see who can compare on certain levels with hybrids being the focal point:

1.HP and TQ

2.Longevity

3.1/4mile time

4.1/8mile time

5.Boost curve

6.Powerband

etc. etc. etc.

-Once my car is back in one piece I'll add in, if this catches on.

We need to have rules (though it'll be all honor based if it's not graphical).

We'd need to start a new thread if interested as well. 4cefed's competitor must have similar modifications. Obviously if the competitor is stroked, has w/m, intake mani, cams, AEB head, upgraded valves, etc. they will have an unfair advantage. If 4cefed4 agrees and another hybrid user of like modifications wants to compare, let's get the ball rolling!

Full disclosure of modifications are mandatory or you're immediately dq'd

Sound Fun? :D:popcorn:

#25 ·
Just a little food for thought, that has nothing to do with competition and is interesting for both camps...

(SN) 4cefed4 made 355WHP on the dyno today, which roughly computes to 406CHP

400 HP at the Crank from a K04 Hybrid :eek:

Those are Performance model imports, Porsche and Ferrari, BMW, etc. Those are 5.0-6.0L V8 numbers! Those are damned impressive when you go back and look at you Road & Track mag or Motor Trend and realize that the 2013 $100K Porsche 911S is 400chp or the Ferrari F40 that we all know only made 60 more HP than this 4cyl 1.8T! The classic Lambo Countach made 414CHP...

A little perspective when we're talking about a daily driven, affordable and reliable kit. (yes BT makes more in the perspective scale, but those are more a racing platform). :)

#27 ·
I'm doing well Jeff. Trying to keep under the radar. I actually don't live on the island. I'm in Bay Ridge Brooklyn right by the Verrazzano bridge.

I agree with your reasoning. There are too many variables to compare two different setups. One thing we can compare are our cars. Both were dynod at the same place so that's a start. Sure weather may be different but for the most part it would be the most accurate comparison on vortex.

You heading to waterfest this year? I will try my best to make it down there this year.

#28 ·
Ahh, for some reason I thought you lived in Deer Park. Using the same dyno definitely helps for comparison purposes, or at least using the same model dyno with the same correction factors in place. When FFE dyno'd your car did they leave it set as Uncorrected too? I have never seen a Dynojet printout without the standard SAE or STD corrections in place. From what I've read, since the temp, humidity and atmospheric pressure were worse than both baselines for both standards yesterday, it only understated my output.

I will be at waterfest for the stock frame turbo shootout on Saturday and I'm doing AM/PM autocross on Sunday :thumbup:

#43 ·
The website hasn't shown kit components or even had a link for ordering the GTT kit in a while. Probably emailing sales@gonzotuning.com would be your best bet.

I'd rather this thread not become another Gonzo vs. Frankenturbo battle, clearly there are enough of those already in existence. At the end of the day they are similar kits, but I stand by the component quality and the R&D that went into the GTT, and I think my car and numbers are supportive of that claim. :peace:

#44 ·
I'm not bashing. I just thought gonzo would put up more info on his site. Seems since 2011 / early 2012 he hasn't changed anything for the gtt stuff.

Also gl with the build. Looks legit!
Also pix of car in action at track please! I don't see jettas very often. It's usually mk3 gti and or honda/acuras

#45 ·
Also gl with the build. Looks legit!
Also pix of car in action at track please! I don't see jettas very often. It's usually mk3 gti and or honda/acuras
Thank you! I have a GTI, but I agree its not the most common car out there. I'll post up videos of the car going through the paces this coming weekend at Waterfest, but here's a still from last year:

#47 ·
Thanks for posting that. I can't believe how many options there are for this kit now! I'm curious to see what the difference between his two exhaust manifold options is, what the TIH he offers looks like, and more info on his "x-beam" rods and who is doing the install for $1000.

#48 ·
Where does this get it power from? The gonzo site says you can reuse a ko3 silicon tip. I know my F21 cold side is way bigger and that would not be possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.