VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I bought my 1993 Vr6 Corrado 14 years ago, bone stock. I had searched for many months until I could find something half descent. Unfortunately I had to trade my 87 Scirocco with 66,000 miles on it to purchase the Corrado. Buying the Corrado was just the next step in progression. (Started of with a 80 Rabbit Diesel next 87 GTI 8V then onto 87 16 V Scirocco)Upon purchase I immediately bought a chip and Intake. My dailey received no other mods for the next 13 yrs. Marriage, house and raising children. My plans for the Corrado always seemed to take a back seat:(

My plan all along was to keep the cars appearance mainly stock (interior and exterior)
Slight mods began in the PAST 6 weeks. Interior mods consisted of Momo wheel, knob,pedals, keyless entry... done. Suspension: Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni adj shocks /struts, Neuspeed strut bar. Exterior: Erubini grill,DDI grill spoiler, OG 300 zx scoop which upon installation I did not like the appearance of.:( I kept the cutout piece so, it can be welded back in sometime. I do like the feel though...noticed a nice increase in throttle resp and power(more than one would expect). Hid lights, tinted windows,stubby antenna and Audi TT six spoke wheels and Fat Fives. Eng perf: Autotech Q chip,Eurosport intake, ABD intake tube,2.9 Tb,DRC 268's with Supertech springs, cat del and suitcase del.

Future plans : Purchase Giac 268 chip, 2.9 Intake mani or Schrick mani, 3" exhaust, E codes , swaybars, 90mm spoiler, Spoonfed rain tray ..port exhaust and lower intake manifolds, paint,polish engine bay parts
and full respray original color. To many here this is not a big deal but, this along with the maint is huge for me. I waited patiently for over 10 yrs to mod.

Recent maintenence: Replaced battery, timing chains,guides and tensioner, water pump, crackpipe,thermostat housing, blue temp sensor, serpentine belt, head gasket, valve cover gasket all other gaskets, clutch ,flywheel,tb, guide tube, rear main seal, rebuilt head with HD Springs and 268 cams , heater core and center dash bezel. Most of the work was not needed it was the " while your in there might as well" thing:)New o2 sensor cap, rotor , plugs wires and vac hoses.

some goodies

Pulled...... She looked clean up top. But, man was she dirty down low.

Taped harness with hockey tape. Wires completely exposed factory tape disintegrated.
Replaced original head. Sourced Passat head 30.00:thumbup: Ok heres what happend:banghead: Evidently the previous owner must have warped the head and had it decked. Owning the car most of it's life I had no idea. When we installed the MKIV head gasket along with the cams ummm well they hit. Turned the crank by hand and they just barely touched. So off came the original head transferred the 268's along withe the valve springs and on with another head rebuild:mad: ...not to mention another head gasket and bolts...Oh well
Test fit Abd intake tube with Eurosport intake....barely fit. I swapped out my original ABD intake for the Eurosport intake. I swapped for the heatshield or as others call the hotplate:D My intention for the heat shield was to isolate the incoming air from the scoop. Couplings have been replaced with longer couplings and bay cleaned up a bit.
The wheels...I like a simple wheel. Not my car some of you may recognized this lovely car. I intend to change the grill for a badgless grill as well. But, for now will enjoy driving her until winter. I have a lot of work to do! Someday will get there. I'm not looking to build a show car just a nice looking/performing driver:peace:

Tony

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
Question after the Passat head install speedometer is not working.... tach and temp gauges work? Any ideas?
VSS unplugged?

Sorry to hear about the cylinder head incident, but in a way, it makes me feel better because sometimes I swear that kind of $hit only happens to me :facepalm:

·
Registered
09 CC 3.6 4mo, 98 DE Leftover car, 90 Corrado, 78 Triumph Spitfire
13,019 Posts
Thanks for keeping my car running well :thumbup::laugh:

Double check all of the grounds are attached and that the barrel connector is completely seated

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Kyle I was going to send you a message letting you know your car is running great everything is new,besides the bottom end. I should post picts of the clutch with 170,000 on it. Clutch felt great but, I changed out anyways. Condition was unbelievable. Full body work and spray coming this spring. For those of u that didnt know. I willed the C to Kyle because I wanted the car in good hands and do not have any local friends into Vw's.

·
Registered
13,019 Posts
Thanks Kyle I was going to send you a message letting you know your car is running great everything is new,besides the bottom end. I should post picts of the clutch with 170,000 on it. Clutch felt great but, I changed out anyways. Condition was unbelievable. Full body work and spray coming this spring. For those of u that didnt know. I willed the C to Kyle because I wanted the car in good hands and do not have any local friends into Vw's.
VR6 bottom ends are pretty much indestructible anyways :)

Did the clutch still look brand new like mine did on the Golf?

How does it feel with the Cams and Mk4 gasket?

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, clutch looked new. Very happy with the cams. Response down low has improved..not pwr but response. Up over 3.5 completely diff beast. Super strong up top with no drop off. Best upgrade thus far! If I would have known the 262's were just as well. I would have saved a few bux. Next,Ill go with your recomendation and sawp out the Autotech chip for Giac

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Work

Created the half azz thread like many to document progress. Most of the work took place this past month. Most of the parts purchased on Vortex. Mainly cosmetic work this time around with a bit of performance upgrades added.

Before

After

Was well overdue for a facelift.
E codes
Installed bulb caps
Badge less Grill
90mm Lip
Amber Fogs
Mono wiper...IMO 10x better
Carrado Scrip Bra
Replaced hood... Scoop had to go!!!!

B4 roof installed with the help of Vortex member Mrpeanuts

Interior work completed... Replaced tan center console with black

added Oettinger Knob
DDI Gauge Faces w/rings
DDI Oil/Volt gauges
Hvac Rings
Corrado Script Mats
Audi TT Pedals
Replaced Center Dash Bezel.. cracked since purchased over 15 yrs ago

Really like the grip with the pedals;)

Installed Stainless Steel Gas Lines
Verdict Motorsports Linkage Bushings
Neuspeed Short Shifter w/ new bushings (Thanks Chris and Graham)
Replaced Autotech Chip w Techtonics Tuning Cam Chip
Replaced all Vacuum Lines
ISV Delete
Ported TB Approx Bored approx .400 over
Fat Fives with new rubber 4 corners

·
Registered
13,019 Posts
I love where the mods on my car are headed :p

Seriously though, it all looks good Tony. You will like the TT pedals alot in the dry, but the second they get wet there is no grip. Just fair warning.

I may be out your way sometime soon to pick up a car and probably to drop off a car too. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I love where the mods on my car are headed :p

Seriously though, it all looks good Tony. You will like the TT pedals alot in the dry, but the second they get wet there is no grip. Just fair warning.

I may be out your way sometime soon to pick up a car and probably to drop off a car too. :thumbup:
Thanks now all I have to do is die first and she's yours:thumbup:..lol I didn't want to leave you with a ****pile and have you piss on me grave:D

Seriously, Let me know when/if your around:beer:?? Or are you picking up my car and dropping yours of..ha ha either way I'm sure you have your car running top notch;)

Thanks, I was afraid of that. Pedals are on and it rained like he77 yest...No slippage yet, I must admit mostly highway driving

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i agree man, cars looking way better now w the front end change. good progress thusfar. i got a bunch of headwork and misc. engine building too.

good luck with rest. ill be watching. in non creepy ways
Thanks, I am aware of the parts you have stockpiled. I'm in the classifieds on a regular basis you beat me to a few parts I wanted...it's all good as long as your saving one.

I'm glad to see your buying good stuff for the car post picts... are you home yet?...military correct?

·
Registered
13,019 Posts
Thanks now all I have to do is die first and she's yours:thumbup:..lol I didn't want to leave you with a ****pile and have you piss on me grave:D

Seriously, Let me know when/if your around:beer:?? Or are you picking up my car and dropping yours of..ha ha either way I'm sure you have your car running top notch;)

Thanks, I was afraid of that. Pedals are on and it rained like he77 yest...No slippage yet, I must admit mostly highway driving
HAHA hold off on dying. I can wait for the car :p

I will definitely let you know. I think my mk3 is going to philly in a couple of months. We shall see.

If you keep any dirt and muck off of them they don't tend to be as slippery when wet. I have them on the mk3 that I daily though. So they get filthy.

·
Registered
13,019 Posts
The road trips you take are insane. Drive 3/4 of the way accross like its nothing.
I might be coming out that way in the next couple of weeks too depending on where I find my next daily at. Colorado seems to be completely dry on 3.6 AWD CC's :banghead::banghead:

The key to long road trips is taking someone with that doesn't drive you crazy and doesn't need to stop every couple miles.:laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Looks great man! It looks like a complete different car when looking at it now. :thumbup::thumbup: mono wiper is looking good too. How do you like it when it rains? Does it function about the same? I would imagine in a down pour that it wouldn't wipe fast enough.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts