VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car DOES turn on, though and my radio works.
This is NOT the first tim this has happenned in my new model 1999 jetta vr6 ...and i DONT have an aftermarket radio deck in there, either.
WHat gives? I would apprfeciate it.

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
Re: My headights wont come on, ac fans and turn signals dont work..IGNITION SWITCH?? (highwatt)

For a newbie, you've been reading up... it may, but the radiator fans are not affected by a faulty ignition switch.
Sounds of more of a relay issue or blown fuse; assumed you check those haven't you?
And the e-brake if completely off? Get back and post more details...
- Erik

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: My headights wont come on, ac fans and turn signals dont work..IGNITION SWITCH?? (bluefox280)

Not so mucha newbie as a frustrated owner...Thsi would be the thrid ignition switch that has gone into this vr6. the last effort to replace the switch ended up with me at larosn vw of tacoma (again) to replace, as you so astutely called it....relays.
The second switch was actually "melted" at the connectors, if thats the closest lingo I have.
I have replaced the MAF and the O2 sensors twice already.
If I had my gumption, lobbyist-style, I would garner some attention toward protecting consumers from NON-USER related issues, especially ones that frequently happen, even after warranty.
I APPRECIATE YOUR INSIGHT, ERIK. Thanks. And oh yeah, fuses are fine (of course they are!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: My headights wont come on, ac fans and turn signals dont work..IGNITION SWITCH?? (highwatt)

wait a second...did you say the radiator fan is what drives the air conditioning and heat to come out of the vents???
hhmm...

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Re: My headights wont come on, ac fans and turn signals dont work..IGNITION SWITCH?? (bluefox280)

Quote, originally posted by bluefox280 »
For a newbie, you've been reading up... it may, but the radiator fans are not affected by a faulty ignition switch.
Sounds of more of a relay issue or blown fuse; assumed you check those haven't you?
And the e-brake if completely off? Get back and post more details...
- Erik

No one said anything about radiator fans??
Please dont confuse this guy because you have no idea what you are talking about

·
Banned
876 Posts
Re: My headights wont come on, ac fans and turn signals d ... (ThisAin'tNoCivic)

yeah rad fans
uuhh, what. anyway. wait you have a 99.5. 1999.5 Jetta GLX VR6
dude is it a mk3 or a mk4. either way sound like an ignition switch to me.

Modified by havok917 at 4:09 PM 5-20-2004

Modified by havok917 at 4:10 PM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
Re: My headights wont come on, ac fans and turn signals d ... (ThisAin'tNoCivic)

Quote, originally posted by highwatt »
wait a second...did you say the radiator fan is what drives the air conditioning and heat to come out of the vents???

No, that the HVAC blower motor, much different from the radiator fans behind the radiator.
Quote, originally posted by ThisAin'tNoCivic »
No one said anything about radiator fans??

No, I read highwatt's post incorrectly... I was dealing with some cooling threads previously.
So, not the radiator fans, but the cabin blower motor... that's what was the miscommunication.
- Erik

Modified by bluefox280 at 2:32 PM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: My headights wont come on, ac fans and turn signals d ... (bluefox280)

so again...for my own insight and not to be confused by this frenetic thread of disoucrse...
does the ignition switch affect the cabin motor blower?
just trying to put some things into english here...thanks Erick.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
ignition switch it is, i had same problem, the thing is i found out a lot of it has to do when u start the car, instead of turnin the key right away, u actually should push it in then turn the key, but ur problem sounds like ignition switch to me too aight peace
Wes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts