VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all- I used to be a vw guy a few years ago, then made the switch to audi, but now i'm back! 2 weeks ago I picked up my first "new" car. A certified preowned '12 Beetle Turbo, base, white, 6spd with 670miles. Searched long and hard to find it, and felt I was getting a good deal with the extra 2/24 warranty meaning I'd have 4 years 59k worth of warranty!! AWESOME!

Picked it up Monday 2/11 and was getting ready to go down to Florida for a vacation. Got my insurance card Thursday 2/14 and was on the road Friday evening 2/15. Drove 600 miles and BAM! Totaled. Was rear ended by a tractor trailer on 81 South outside Roanoke VA at 6:00pm. An incident just ahead caused everyone to slam on the brakes coming to a dead stop, but the tractor trailer behind me couldn't stop in time and rammed into the back of my new Bug, pushed me under a Jeep Grand Cherokee and him into a Toyota pickup truck and him into an Acura MDX. Needless to say, the Beetle did VERY well with the impact and protecting us from any serious injuries. We were able to open the doors without problems, the windows still dropped down like normal, and the 4 ways went on like they should and I believe the engine was shut off, but the key was still in the accessory position (i'm a bit hazy on that detail, but remember pulling the key back and out like normal).

and what hit us: :eek:

No serious injuries or fatalities. We were all able to get out (Jeep had more trouble than we did) and walk around. Minor bumps, bruises and cuts, but again, we were all alive! It could've been a lot worse!

We got a rental car the next day and continued down to Florida. We decided to upgrade to a full size and were given a 12 Chrysler 300 which we dubbed "the boat". It was comfy and surprisingly with the V6 and 8spd tranny was very fuel efficient. We were averaging 33-35mpg on the flats down south, and 30-32 in the hills of VA/PA. I'm now dealing with insurance and they totaled my Bug, are writing me a check for more than what I paid for it too!

So I called the dealership I bought the White one from and told them what happened, etc. Ironically they needed me to come in to sign the title on my Audi since they forgot to have me sign. I jokingly said, "so I still own an Audi right?!" They laughed and said not quite. But VW is offering discounts on leftover '12 models, and there's a silver one identical to your white one, brand new, cheaper than what you paid. I went and looked this past Monday, and signed all the papers last night on my 2nd new car:

And if it wasn't odd enough getting back into the Bug at the dealer, on the test drive we were on the highway and lots of traffic with a tractor trailer behind me...:facepalm: Hopefully this one will last longer than 4 days/600 miles!

Hope to stick around this time and enjoy the Bug. I already have wheels for it from my Audi once the weather gets nicer. Need some suspension and color matched sidemarkers.

- Nate

·
Registered
533 Posts
Man that is a crazy story! I'm glad you are okay, get yourself a rock solid lawyer and go get paid. I would.

So what did you pay for each one if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man that is a crazy story! I'm glad you are okay, get yourself a rock solid lawyer and go get paid. I would.

So what did you pay for each one if you don't mind me asking?
It is certainly a crazy situation. But thank you, we are very lucky the Bug crumpled in all the right places.

The white was certified preowned for $21,995
The silver was leftover new for $19,989

·
Registered
117 Posts
Good to hear it all worked out and everyone is safe. 👍

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Thanks for the pix. Good to know you weren't hurt considering that rig was behind you.

Do you know how fast you were going at impact?

Does the Jeep have a raised suspension? I hate raised truck/SUVs for the reason they'll end up on the roof of regular cars in a crash.

Good luck with your silver Bug. What a deal!!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the pix. Good to know you weren't hurt considering that rig was behind you.

Do you know how fast you were going at impact?

Does the Jeep have a raised suspension? I hate raised truck/SUVs for the reason they'll end up on the roof of regular cars in a crash.

Good luck with your silver Bug. What a deal!!!! :thumbup:
We were all stopped when the semi hit me. He estimates maybe 45-50mph at time of impact?
The Jeep was stock. The Toyota had a lifted suspension and when the Jeep went into the back of him, both his airbags deployed.

Thanks! I thought it was quite a good price!

·
Registered
533 Posts
I almost forgot the silver looks great. Congrats on a great deal! I got a similar deal for my Beetle!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Dang! Most new car owners worry about their first parking lot ding or road-rash on their new shiny wheels. Anyway, I'm very glad that you guys came out as well as you did.

When I was detailing my new Bug I was a bit disappointed in its construction under the engine compartment. This being my 5th Dub' I really thought it was very thin on metal and flimsy! However, after seeing your car and that everyone got out with only minor issues, I'm very impressed. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I almost forgot the silver looks great. Congrats on a great deal! I got a similar deal for my Beetle!
I don't see to many online, and even driving around most are black. I miss my white one tho-

Wow. Crazy story. Glad you're around to tell it. It could have been a lot worse. Congrats on your new purchase(s) :thumbup:
Thanks

:wave:

:thumbup:

Dang! Most new car owners worry about their first parking lot ding or road-rash on their new shiny wheels. Anyway, I'm very glad that you guys came out as well as you did.

When I was detailing my new Bug I was a bit disappointed in its construction under the engine compartment. This being my 5th Dub' I really thought it was very thin on metal and flimsy! However, after seeing your car and that everyone got out with only minor issues, I'm very impressed. :thumbup:
It did very well all things considered. I feel safe for sure, but it was weird getting back in it at the dealership.

·
Registered
600 Posts
wow.. gotta a lawyer, truck at fault that hit u, great u are ok, thats why i drive my B and not a paper thin rice cake...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hmm, I was wondering why the airbags didn't deploy on and impact. :confused:

·
Registered
933 Posts
Primary impact was from behind, airbags aren't going to do much good. The secondary impact into the car in front was probably slower than the first, given that OP would have been on the brakes and the distance between OP and the car in front. Either way, airbags are only going to activate if a very specific set of parameters are detected. They weren't detected, they didn't activate, and it doesn't seem like the system was wrong at all, OP made it out just fine.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wow.. gotta a lawyer, truck at fault that hit u, great u are ok, thats why i drive my B and not a paper thin rice cake...
Don't need a lawyer at this point.

It's good to know that the Beetle's gas tank has enough protection to withstand being rammed
by a 'semi'.
I looked all around the car, nothing was leaking onto the road.

We were stopped and it was a rear impact first. We were pushed under the Jeep who's bumper must be high enough to clear the sensors in the bumper and didn't deploy the airbags. In hindsight it probably was a good thing they didn't deploy. We could both have some more injuries to our heads than what we already experienced.

Primary impact was from behind, airbags aren't going to do much good. The secondary impact into the car in front was probably slower than the first, given that OP would have been on the brakes and the distance between OP and the car in front. Either way, airbags are only going to activate if a very specific set of parameters are detected. They weren't detected, they didn't activate, and it doesn't seem like the system was wrong at all, OP made it out just fine.
pretty much what everyone else can deduce.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.