VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A composite and upholstery project has started.
I'm re-designing all my interior, engine bay and( probably...not sure)my jetta exterior.
I started with my engine first by making few carbon fiber engine overlay pieces, as show below:
MAF box:
3kx3k black/grey color w/ highgloss finish.

GLI engine valve cover center piece.
3kx3k black/grey color w/ highgloss finish.

Battery overlay center piece.
3kx3k carbon/kevlar blue color w/ highgloss finish.

All these 3 pieces are made to hold up to 300 degrees in temperature. Made especifically to enhance my engine bay and also to have a custom look. I'm planning to mass produce these small pieces and sell them If* there is people interested. Also, I have plans to make composite engine valve covers for different vehicles in the future... Engine valve cover and interior custom trim pieces are coming soon.
Christian
PS. Upholstery looks very interested...sorry *cant tell*

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Re: My Jetta Project (CarbonTC)

very nice. Nice to see another mkiv'er doing there own work, and custom stuff is even better. congrats... I've been playing with carbon lately too. making a dash for my MK2, full structure and everything. Make some structural carbon parts for the mkiv... lets see some radiator supports, not the little kick sill on top, but the whole structure..

·
Registered
8,445 Posts
Re: My Jetta Project (CarbonTC)

Looks pretty nice but if its an overlay doesnt it just lay over the stock piece meaning its adding extra weight, not that a few grams are gonna make a difference but most people associate carbon with weight loss not weight gain even if its small unnoticable gains, so its just purely for asthetics at that point right?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: My Jetta Project (UTdaneVW)

quote:[HR][/HR]Looks pretty nice but if its an overlay doesnt it just lay over the stock piece meaning its adding extra weight, not that a few grams are gonna make a difference but most people associate carbon with weight loss not weight gain even if its small unnoticable gains, so its just purely for asthetics at that point right?[HR][/HR]​
All composite materials are made for lightweight, carbon fiber, kevalr and even fiber glass.
I used 2 lays of 3kx3k to make all these 3 pieces.
The battery piece weights nearly 4 grams and the other 2 I have no idea because i didnt put them on the scale yet...These pieces will not affect weight gains because is unoticiable. Now if we're talking aluminum or stainless steel parts or accesories, then I wouldnt mind to post an article, b/c that brings weight and that will answer your question.

Christian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.