VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here's the deal, I woke up this morning and went to get in my car and it would not start, would not even turn over.....so i took another to work....after work i went and tried jumping it with another car and this is where it gets weird!
With cables in place I had my dad start his car and then I tried turning on mine, then at the same time the facotry alarm system (horn) went off and keeps on hunking intill we un plug the cables, the lights and the power turns on inside the car, but the car wont turn on (when cables pluged with other car), wont turn over or get close to turning on! My guess is that the cars alarm system is disabling the cars engine..... if you guys and girls have another help or advice plz let me know I need my car!

·
Banned
22,490 Posts
Re: (socalGLXVR6)

It does sound like your battery
follow these steps
hook your car up to the jumpers
when the alarm goes off put your keys in the ignition and move them forward and backward until the alarm goes off

then wait a couple of seconds and try to start the car

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Re: MY JETTA WONT START IT JUST KEEPS HONKING!!!! HELP PLZ (socalGLXVR6)

Dead battery. Put it on a charger first.
You need to figure out why it died. A starting battery can't take more than a couple cycles of complete discharging/charging -- you'll need to replace the battery if it continues.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Re: MY JETTA WONT START IT JUST KEEPS HONKING!!!! HELP PLZ (Air_Cooled_Nut)

-Consult your Bentley or Haynes shop manual as necessary.
-Remove the knee pad below the steering wheel, drop the fuse/relay board down (out of it's hanger). This allows you to reach up into the dash.
-(Optional)Remove the head light switch and trim (or air bag idiot light) to the left if necessary to allow more light and see things better.
-Remove BOTH plugs (T10 and T6) from the stock alarm module. These will NOT be replaced, they stay unplugged.
-On the T6 plug, jumper the #5 and #6 slots. The T6 plug is numbered like so (facing plug):
2 | | 1
4 | | 3
6 | | 5
-If you are using wire, make sure it is at least 10-gage. You could probably get away with a smaller gage wire, like 12, but I wouldn't recommend it.
-Make sure the jumper is adequately insulated (for example, wrapped in electrical tape).
-Except for the two plugs you disconnected, put everything back together.
-That's it!
You need the T10 plug disconnected otherwise the alarm module clicks (internal relay I assume). This modification will NOT affect the central locking system for cars that DO NOT have keyless entry. If your car has keyless entry I cannot confirm nor deny that this may or may not affect your keyless entry system (I'm guessing that it won't affect it but don't quote me on that!).

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Re: MY JETTA WONT START IT JUST KEEPS HONKING!!!! HELP PLZ (97VWJett)

As an FYI, that is my "how to disable the stock alarm" DIY and it does just that, DISABLES the stock alarm module. So don't do it if you still want to keep your stock alarm system

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: (boserboy)

Just adding my 2c ... I'm having the same problem with my car ... after getting back to ATL on 7/21, I found that my Jetta GLX (1998) in the airport parking lock failed to start.
I knew that something was wrong (right away) when my remote keyless device failed to unlock the doors and trunk. After manually unlocking the car with the key, the remote keyless device started to work, but not very well or consisently.
Subsequent presses of the device led to partially unlocked doors, rear lights flashing faintly, the alarm going off, and the door-alarm light flashing sporadically (signifiying that the alarm is on or off).
The car would not start. After turning the key, the ABS light on the left of the steering wheel lit up, but the car would not crank.
I repeated a pattern of trying to arm/disarm the car and starting it ... all with the same result.
I had suspected that since the electricals were working (sporadically), it was not the battery, but had something to do with the alarm control module system. As my cruise control system went out several years ago (and which I had replaced with a junkyard version) I thought that perhaps this module might be malfunctioning and disabling the car from starting b/c the alarm was in some weird, faulty state. Now, I suspect it's the battery (thanks to this thread).
I'm headed back to the airport tonight so I'll try to jump the car with my wife's car before my flight.
This is great information. I'm hopeful that this thread will save me some money from the dealer and a tow. Thanks for the post. If it's not the battery, I'll repost.
For those with Jetta alarm problems, the alarm control module is part # J284 and costs about $250 via the dealer ... cheaper then I had thought.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.