VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get too many IM's with questions about mods, so I made a formal list and gathered a collection of pictures (most of which are somewhere in this thread) for reference. I'll do my best to keep it updated.
Car: 05 GLI / PG / 6-speed / 48,000 miles
Engine:
GIAC X+ ECU flash
Neuspeed P-Flow intake
Samco turbo inlet pipe
Eurojet Street FMIC
APR R1 diverter valve
4Grounding ground kit
Audi TT fenderliner vent
VF Engineering motor mounts
JayCaps power steering, coolant, washer fluid, and oil caps
Shaved and colormatched engine covers and battery box
Transmission:
Neuspeed 6 speed short shift
Exhaust:
APR 2.5" turboback
Suspension:
Koni coilovers
H2Sport sport spindles
H2Sport sway bar endlinks
TT control arm bushings
Neuspeed 28mm rear sway bar
Neuspeed front upper strut bar
Neuspeed front lower tie bar
Wheels:
OEM 18x7.5" OZ Aristos (Summer)
OEM 18x7.5" BBS RC (Autocross/Show)
...CNC machined BBS center caps
...BBS valve stem caps
...OEM Audi gray lug bolt covers
...H&R 8mm front / 15mm rear spacers
17x8" OZ Superleggera (Winter)
Tires:
235/40/18 BFGoodrich KDW2 (Summer)
225/40/18 Falken Azenis RT-615 (Autocross)
225/45/17 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 (Winter)
Exterior:
OEM passenger side stubby mirror
OEM Sharan stubby antenna
OEM Euro 1.8T badge
35% Llumar window tint
Painted red rear tow hook
Painted red front tow hook (Winter)
Lighting:
Helix OEM HID replicas
...Lucid 5000k HID kit
...Sylvania Silverstar high beam bulbs
...42 Draft Designs High Intensity white city LEDs
Hella Micro DE fog lights
...PIAA Super Plasma fog light bulbs
eBay OEM pattern clear sidemarkers
OEM Euro R/R/R/C tail lights
...White LED reverse bulbs
42 Draft Designs white license plate LEDs
All amber bulbs replaced with silver coated bulbs
Interior:
OEM black leather heated Euro Recaro front seats
OEM black leather Euro Recaro rear seats
OEM R32 steering wheel
OEM R32 e-brake boot
OEM R32 shift boot
Black alcantara door card inserts, parcel shelf, sunroof motor cover
Richbrook 4006.10 shift knob
Custom brushed aluminum coin slot cover
AWE boost gauge in center column pod
JayCaps seat knob covers
42 Draft Designs white interior LEDs
Shaved OEM sunglass holder
OEM W8 console
OEM lighted Jetta vents
OEM Euro switch
OEM MKV grocery bag hook
Custom black stained cedar cargo grips
Schroth Quick-Fit harness (Autocross)
OEM black/red VW carpeted floor mats (Summer)
OEM Monster mats (Winter)
Electronics:
KVW100 flash (windows controlled with key fob)
Pioneer AVIC-D3 headunit with Pioneer logo removed
Pioneer CD-BTB200 Bluetooth module
Polk C400.4 amplifier
Polk MMC6500 6.5" component speakers
Polk C500.1 amplifier
Polk MM10 10" subwoofer
Plans:
Winter 08-09:
Refinish Aristos
...medium silver powdercoat
...OEM blue/white VW centercaps
Spring 09:
Repair damaged fender
OEM driver side stubby mirror
Step/WOT Box
Distant Future:
ECS Stage 2v2 front brake kit
ECS Stage 1R rear brake kit
Peloquin LSD
3000k HID kit for foglights
Stiffer shift linkage bushings
OEM Euro front rubstrip with chrome trim
Spoilerless 04.5+ trunk lid
Black Alcantra headliner
Pictures:
Summer:

Autocross:

Show:

Winter (pic from before lowering):

Engine/Interior/Etc.:

Original first post:
Wanted to share with you guys what I've been up to this spring/summer and what I have planned for the rest of the year.
Installed Koni coils, H2Sport spindles, TT control arm bushings, spacers (5mm front / 15mm rear):

Cleaned up the engine bay:

Replaced Alpine single DIN head unit and iPod dock with a flush mounted AVIC-D3 (iPod, Bluetooth, etc.):
Old:

New:

Made a brushed aluminum cover for the coin slots:

Installed/wired OEM heated leather Recaro seats:

Replaced aluminum trimmed vents with OEM illuminated vents (needed the right slots back for the heated seat switches):
Old:

New (the day shot kinda nullifies the illuminated icons):

Rest of the year:
Currently an upholstery shop has my rear seat back. They're filling the armrest hole in the Euro Recaro seat cover with matching leather and installing it with the Euro foam.
Once I pick up the rear seat back I will be dropping off my door cards and rear decklid to be covered with black alcantara. That will get rid of the remainder of the black sport cloth in the interior.
The only other plans for the year are to find a driver's side stubby mirror to go along with the passenger side mirror that's sitting in my room and finding matching headrests for the rear seat. I scoped out a couple of dealerships and found B7 S4 rear headrests to be a good match, but I can't imagine what they'll cost.
I should be back in school when the above list is finished and I'll start saving what I can for tires and brakes in the spring.
I will use this thread for future updates, but won't call it a build thread. I don't move that quickly.

Modified by JettaGetUpandGo at 11:44 PM 11-25-2008

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Re: My journey. (JettaGetUpandGo)

Nice progress! Out of curiosity, how do you like the head lights? I'm currently saving for a pair. Do you know where that shift knob was purchased? Sweet ride so far. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: My journey. (Chalm)

Quote, originally posted by Chalm »
Nice progress! Out of curiosity, how do you like the head lights? I'm currently saving for a pair. Do you know where that shift knob was purchased? Sweet ride so far. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I love the headlights. The projectors aren't spectacular with the HID's (comparing to my dad's A8 bi-xenon), but they're way better than the OEM reflectors. The high beams on their own suck, but I wired the low beams to stay on with the high beams and it's perfect now.
The shift knob is make by Richbrook and came from http://speeding.co.uk.

Quote, originally posted by glimark »
nice work love how the cars coming along
have some?
what do u think of the hsport spindals?
where did u get the seats? and was it hard to wire them up?
the car lookss great keep up the good work

I installed all of the suspension at once so I have no comparison without them, but there's a night and day improvement before and after the suspension. Turn in was greatly improved and the car feels much more controlled and nimble autocrossing. Before it felt like maneuvering a wild pig.
I mainly bought them because I wanted the suspension done right the first time. At my current height, my control arms are almost level. (EDIT: there's currently a group buy on the spindles here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3839077)
The front seats I picked up from someone in Chicago that bought them new years ago but never installed them. The rear bench, seat back cover, and seat back foam I bought from 1duB, but were originally imported by someone else on the forum.
Wiring the seats were no more difficult than wiring a head unit or a sub/amp. The airbag connectors were different, so I bought those and the connectors for the heated seats in the classifieds. All of the connectors had a couple inches of wire so they were easy to splice and add more wire onto. The seat belt buckles also needed to be switched over since the Euro belt connectors didn't have the harness for the buckle. Those were held in by one bolt. The recline/lumbar knobs were different and although it wasn't necessary, I swapped them over so I could keep my billet knob covers:

Modified by JettaGetUpandGo at 11:20 PM 6-23-2008

·
Registered
182 Posts

thats cover for the coin slot is sick where did u get that? but was it hard to install your boost contoller? im getting one soon and i want to put it in the same stop is that the a'pexi controller?

·
Registered
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FV-QR

The coin slot cover I made myself from a piece of scrap aluminum. I cutout the shape of the coin slot, brushed the metal with 220 grit sandpaper, then clearcoated over it to preserve the finish.
The unit in the vents was a Greddy turbo timer. I never installed it. It just filled the hole from the previous owner.

·
Registered
43,726 Posts

Quote, originally posted by JettaGetUpandGo »
Installed/wired OEM heated leather Recaro seats:

Jealous

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Re: My journey. (Travy)

Quote, originally posted by Travy »

Jealous

for real - those are dope http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Premium Member
7,054 Posts
Re: (a3darkjetta)

Quote, originally posted by a3darkjetta »
r32 anything in anything other than an r32 =

you're a freakin jelous tool. It's an R Line steering wheel, no where on it does it say R32. R is for race.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Re: (GLI Dan)

Quote, originally posted by GLI Dan »

you're a freakin jelous tool. It's an R Line steering wheel, no where on it does it say R32. R is for race.
Hahahaha pwnd i love the R steering wheel and heated recaros btw, are you going to rap the rears in leather

·
Registered
606 Posts

Quote, originally posted by JettaGetUpandGo »
Rest of the year:
The only other plans for the year are to find a driver's side stubby mirror to go along with the passenger side mirror that's sitting in my room and finding matching headrests for the rear seat. I scoped out a couple of dealerships and found B7 S4 rear headrests to be a good match, but I can't imagine what they'll cost.

FYI R32 head rests are the same as Euro Recaros, but the leather may not match exactly.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Re: My journey. (Habafrog)

Car is clean dude, front seats look sick! Glad the rears went to a good home. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emlove.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
02 TDI Wagon, 04 .:R32, 67 Beetle Convertible, 93 Harley
2,184 Posts
Re: My journey. (1dUB)

nice, clean OEM+ look! i'm on my way there as well! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Re: My journey. (xero_dobbler)

I have every desire to make that my BG picture.
edit: NM picture too small, res too big.

Modified by haxormax at 4:15 PM 6-24-2008

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Re: (GLI Dan)

Quote, originally posted by GLI Dan »

he made his rounds, dumping on any and everything....it could have been a picture of someone's new GT3 and he woulda tried his best, with whatever lame pic he posted, to slam it, pretty laughable, I have no life either but I can find better things to do with my time when it comes down to it

interior is awesome, dont listen to the douchenozel
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (euronater)

Quote, originally posted by a3darkjetta »
r32 anything in anything other than an r32

I'm not even going to comment on that...

Quote, originally posted by euronater »
are you going to rap the rears in leather

OEM Euro Recaro rear foam and covers are at the upholsterer getting the hole for the armrest filled.

Quote, originally posted by 2K_GLX »
FYI R32 head rests are the same as Euro Recaros, but the leather may not match exactly.

I looked at those, but the leather doesn't match well enough to my liking. The S4 headrests are shorter and I think will look a little nicer. Perfect leather match too.
Thanks for all the comments guys.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts