VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last september I participated in an aftermarket leather covers groupbuy set up by helpmeplease (thanks again) Here's my install. It is black with the blue inserts. This is the first time I mod a car and overall I am very satisfied with the way it came out. The hardest part was getting the seat heater out of the original covers and doing the door panels.
The seat heater did work after the install but I burned the passenger's side 2 weeks ago
. Two side of the heater and metal rod stuffed in the foaming = bad idea
I think the heater really has to stay flat and I think the only way to achieve this would have been to sew it the same way it was sewn to the factory covers.
My kit included a can of 3M upholstery glue. While being very easy to use (~45 minutes before it dries), it has a strong odor and gave me nausea and headaches everytime i worked with it. I ran out of glue so i went to Canadian Tire and found some no-name upholstery glue which is *much* better. It is odorless and produces a foamy coat that sticks immediately and strongly. I did the driver's panel with this and if I had done the 4 panels with this product i would have had a much more professional result.
The last picture in my set shows the bottom of one of the back seat. The blue part is genuine leather while the black part is vinyl. You won't see a difference unless you touch the fabric or look closely. I decided not to pay the extra 100$ or so for full leather in the back and I do not regret my choice. Eric from Leatherseats.com also recommended not to get leather for the door panels and armrest and I make the same recommendation, since the vinyl is more resistant and you'll stress the fabric a lot during this part of the install.

· Registered
4,045 Posts
Re: My leather install (gmichaud)

nice, I have exactly the same color combination

I see you kind of messed up some of the coners on the door panels, I have the same problem I was thinking of some kind of leather filler.... have you thought about that ?

[Modified by nuke941, 5:21 PM 11-26-2001]

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: My leather install (U n i o n 0015)

I think it is offered on some models in Europe. Also, the latest Driver's Gear magazine has a spotlight on the car interior designers and you can see some dual-tone seats.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.