VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
101 - 120 of 1727 Posts

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
I'm really liking those springs. I wonder if they'll affect DCC very much for those who opt for it.
One thing ill say about that is that thus far I'm glad I didn't wait for DCC. This thing irons out bumps so well, even on terrible roads here in LA. One second you're comfort cruising, the next you're taking corners like a madman...without the need to adjust your damping. That is how excellent the ride is. I personally wouldn't want it softer -because it's a GTI - and I wouldn't want it firmer - because I'd like to keep my spine and car in one piece. Plus, there is the added benefit of a simpler suspension setup, and less stuff that'll eventually break.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
First off, great looking ride Roger. My girl has always had Audi or VWs but I never have until now. She recently just got rid of her CC with the DSG transmission for a new Jetta (She said she wanted a smaller car) I loved the CC, it's kinda what started selling me on VW's. I test drove a black 2015 GTI this past Saturday and needless to say, I went home with it. It is the most fun I have ever had driving a car. I intend to add some mods to my car as well. Mainly I will probably copy, or use your mods as a reference point at least, for some of the things I want to do. I am going to start with the lighting first. I don't want to make this post too long and continue rambling on so I basically had one question. I hope I didn't miss this if someone asked it already, but doesn't this void the warranty? I contemplated buying the OEM mods and having the dealership install them that way it continues to be covered under the warranty. Obviously I will be paying a ridiculous amount for the instal though. What are your thoughts on this.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Plus, there is the added benefit of a simpler suspension setup, and less stuff that'll eventually break.
That's my worry too!

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
First off, great looking ride Roger. My girl has always had Audi or VWs but I never have until now. She recently just got rid of her CC with the DSG transmission for a new Jetta (She said she wanted a smaller car) I loved the CC, it's kinda what started selling me on VW's. I test drove a black 2015 GTI this past Saturday and needless to say, I went home with it. It is the most fun I have ever had driving a car. I intend to add some mods to my car as well. Mainly I will probably copy, or use your mods as a reference point at least, for some of the things I want to do. I am going to start with the lighting first. I don't want to make this post too long and continue rambling on so I basically had one question. I hope I didn't miss this if someone asked it already, but doesn't this void the warranty? I contemplated buying the OEM mods and having the dealership install them that way it continues to be covered under the warranty. Obviously I will be paying a ridiculous amount for the instal though. What are your thoughts on this.
Glad you're enjoying the thread so far. Feel free to shoot any questions over when you get to modding your car.

To answer your question, yes, in theory modifying the car with components that aren't made by VW can void your warranty. In practice, it depends on who you ask (namely your dealership).

Now, just because you modified your exhaust, it doesn't mean that if your headunit goes out it won't be covered under warranty - they're unrelated systems. Just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
How do the springs ride compared to stock. I'm stuck between those and the H&R sport springs.
See my last few posts. In short, VWR springs ride great. Suspension is still very supple. Highly recommended. HR Sport springs will likely give you a similar drop, but I can't speak to whether they match the stock dampers as well as the VWRs do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Glad you're enjoying the thread so far. Feel free to shoot any questions over when you get to modding your car.

To answer your question, yes, in theory modifying the car with components that aren't made by VW can void your warranty. In practice, it depends on who you ask (namely your dealership).

Now, just because you modified your exhaust, it doesn't mean that if your headunit goes out it won't be covered under warranty - they're unrelated systems. Just something to keep in mind.

good point regarding unrelated components. My problem is I am unfamiliar with German engineering so am unsure what would be considered unrelated since there is so many electrical components regulating systems. I appreciate the offer to answer questions when I start modding. I am sure I will need the help. I understand the itch to start modding early on with this car. When I am not driving it, I constantly think about messing with it.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
good point regarding unrelated components. My problem is I am unfamiliar with German engineering so am unsure what would be considered unrelated since there is so many electrical components regulating systems. I appreciate the offer to answer questions when I start modding. I am sure I will need the help. I understand the itch to start modding early on with this car. When I am not driving it, I constantly think about messing with it.
Yep. When the mod bug gets ya, it really gets ya!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 · (Edited)
I'd love to see the LEDs for the tails.
Gotcha! I've go them installed and working (almost completely). Need to wire the signal strip on the inner taillights and get the bi-color LED going. Also, having some trouble with the signals flickering for a fraction of a second every time I hit the brake pedal. Not an ideal situation, but I'm doing what I can to work through it and hopefully end up with a complete and fully-functional retrofit.

The main issue I ran into was that our NA-spec cars have slightly different wiring than their Euro counterparts. Namely, our cars use the brake/running light as a turn signal - so there is no separate signal from ECU/wire for an amber signal. :thumbdown: That's where things get complicated, because re-wiring is needed, and I know many of us won't be happy/comfortable with the idea of modifying factory wiring.

For those interested, I found an excellent resource some time ago on the following forum (post #48 is excellent, as it gives you a very good idea of the wiring involved in Euro models - however, keep in mind that doesn't show that part of the hatch trim needs to come off).

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2552

Pictures of LED tails - I snap a few more later in the evening with them lit.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Corolla Hatch
972 Posts
Gotcha! I've go them installed and working (almost completely). Need to wire the signal strip on the inner taillights and get the bi-color LED going. Also, having some trouble with the signals flickering for a fraction of a second every time I hit the brake pedal. Not an ideal situation, but I'm doing what I can to work through it and hopefully end up with a complete and fully-functional retrofit.

The main issue I ran into was that our NA-spec cars have slightly different wiring than their Euro counterparts. Namely, our cars use the brake/running light as a turn signal - so there is no separate signal from ECU/wire for an amber signal. :thumbdown: That's where things get complicated, because re-wiring is needed, and I know many of us won't be happy/comfortable with the idea of modifying factory wiring.

For those interested, I found an excellent resource some time ago on the following forum (post #48 is excellent, as it gives you a very good idea of the wiring involved in Euro models - however, keep in mind that doesn't show that part of the hatch trim needs to come off).
This is the part I'm most interested in. When you get everything straightened out please post what has been done. I'm curious as to how expensive having the wiring done would be and how difficult it is.

By the way that is a great looking MKVII. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 · (Edited)
I'm sure this is an ignorant question, but you've mentioned doing a 3M wrap on your car. Is this just a protective wrap, or are you doing some sort of color or effect?
Not at all. In fact, I don't think I mentioned what color/effect I was going with.

The vinyl has been sitting in my living room for a few days now. I will begin wrapping early Saturday, the 14th with the help of a friend. We will be wrapping the car in 3M-SP10 Satin Pearl White, with 3M Gloss Black accents (roof, B-pillar, hatch skirts, possibly mirrors and rear emblem).

101 - 120 of 1727 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.