VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as some of you know my old car ended up being totaled from some idiot hitting my sister while she was borrowing it. So to keep its spirit alive I'll be swapping some of my interior and parts into a wagon. I found this wagon for sale on craigslist in California, and decided to buy it on the opposite side of the country and ship it out. I bought it because it's a california car so no rust, I got it for pretty cheap and was able to ship it out in budget. And it has my old interior and my dream interior since I've always wanted terra brown in an avant. Getting the car was quite a journey.

I bought the car under the pretense that the water pump was leaking dramatically, and the battery was dead. The battery being dead delayed the shipping for 2 weeks, but they were able to get it on the truck on Sunday. Last night, last minute I was told the car would not be able to be delivered to my house because they were worried the truck driver would get stuck or tree branches would damage the cars on the trailer. After arguing with the supervisor and the driver for a couple hours we were able to agree on meeting at a place down the street from my house. But later that night my dad told me he hoped that the previous owner didn't fill the car up with water instead of coolant. And that is when I started to freak out. I sent a text to the PO asking him if he used water, and of course he did. So I knew then that if there was any water left in the motor it was for sure frozen, so I'd be completely screwed if I tried starting it.

We got there earlier today and were able to roll the car off the truck and use my grandpa's AARP towing for free to get it towed to my house. And now I have it without causing any more damage than there already is and glad it's finally home.

This is going to be a budget build. I was given $4,500 and my car back so my budget for this car and all the mods, paint and body work will be the $4,500 plus whatever I can get for parting my car out.

The plan is as follows:
-Defrost the engine and drain coolant and pray I can sell at least the heads of the motor, otherwise I lose $300 out of my budget.
-Tow it to my Grandpa's garage in early Spring
-Swap my motor + manual trans
-Repaint the bay casa white in the process
-New control arms, swap my brakes over or new ones, replace any bushings that need replacing, and swap over 2 front axles.
-Drop the headliner, clean the hell out of it, Refurbish the headliner, remove the roof rails for body work.
-Replace the two front fenders
-Fix the dent in the door if possible or replace
-Body work prep and paint
-Swap my carpet, glove box, center console, front seats and rear seat pad over
-Swap my coils and wheels over
-Put my old exhaust on

The mods will be as follows:
-S4 body all around
-Double din swap
-Euro S4 rear bumper
-Magnaflow 14816 muffler
-ST Coilovers
-Depo ECodes
-My wheels
-Ebay RS4 spoiler
-Facelift Hood
-RS4 grille

Stay tuned for the rebuild in a few months :wave:

·
Registered
877 Posts
Also following :thumbup::thumbup: I'm excited to see the rebuild, as I'm sure it's going to be super clean.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I have good news! While I was away for the day, my dad ended up defrosting my engine with a propane garage heater and drained the water out. He was texting me updates, showing me rust on the motor from continual water leaking and corroding the block from the water pump leak. Also that the upper and lower radiator hoses were filled with frozen water.

He defrosted the motor for 4 hours and eventually was able to drain the water. He filled it up with pure g12 and then we threw a bottle of mixed in afterwards and I was able to drive it and turn it around in the driveway. Ran it for about 5 mins at 2500 rpm to try to get it to temp but it was 15 degrees and it didn't budge much. The water pump pissed out a lot of coolant, but I think I got it to the point that it was recirculating throughout the engine and g12 is now properly mixed in so I won't have any more freezing problems.

I think the motor is completely fine. After I started it for a third time, the idle was kind of bouncing between 800 and 400, and after running it at 2500, when I let off the throttle it kinda died, and wouldn't stay started after 3 attempts. I think it's vacuum related more than anything. And when warmer weather comes around I'll be able to figure it out. I'm not planning on driving this car until I finish the project anyways. And when we take the motor out in the spring, we'll be able to see if there was any damage from the ice, which is probably doubtful (audi engines are tanks) And I'll also be able to see any vacuum lines that may be broken.

I also found out today the driver seat doesn't have the power recliner working. I'm not sure what the fix for that would be, but I don't think it would diminish the value of the seats because they are so rare and awesomely brown. It's not like it's in an uncomfortable position either. I would still like to fix it though to be easier on the buyer.

I'm just really glad the motor ran and I was able to turn it around!

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since it's cold as hell out I really can't do much to the car. But what I am doing in the mean time is selling anything I can. So I already took off the headlights, bumper and grille. Gotta move stuff out to afford everything! If anyone needs anything lemme know!

In the mean time though here's some more pics of the car

As you can see the center console got completely obliterated

Got a new passenger tail light from a friend, and I'll be getting new hatch struts hopefully tomorrow

Also really exciting that the car came with the OEM cargo net. It's insanely heavy duty.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Looking good. Facelift tail lights :thumbup:

Also, look for b5.5 passat wagon hatch struts. Thats what I have and they are shiny give the car a nicer look. You've probably seen them but,

Sorry the pictures are pretty bad haha

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have an identical car to this in my driveway waiting for me to swap the interior into my cactus green Avant.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
B5 with no face. Man after my heart :laugh:
Haha I'm not gonna lie I thought about the needinganaudi look after I took the bumper off lol

I have an identical car to this in my driveway waiting for me to swap the interior into my cactus green Avant.
That is crazy awesome! Hell of a find. Genuine leather terra cotta is extremely rare, But I've seen 2 for sale just these past 2 months including mine! Is yours pearl white as well? And good luck on your parts swap! Terra and cactus green look amazing :thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 20 of 269 Posts