VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

221 - 240 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
Are you going to any shows in the next couple months? I want to see this sooo bad.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Also wondering this!
I'd love to make it to Waterfest this year but who knows what will happen. Hopefully I make it to at least one show this year. I will definitely keep everyone posted!

·
Registered
877 Posts
I'd love to make it to Waterfest this year but who knows what will happen. Hopefully I make it to at least one show this year. I will definitely keep everyone posted!
You better make it to waterfest!

·
Registered
5 Posts
You better make it to waterfest!

If he's making it to waterfest he needs 2 more body guys. Just got a new compressor with an 80 gallon tank so hopefully after we get this front s4 bumper done with shaving the license plate holes we should be in better shape to get the rest of it done pretty quickly.https://vimeo.com/170170567 Rear euro done!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I like the washer caps that's why I kept them. But yeah just filled In the holes on the bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
Yeah I think a washer delete will be in order most likely!

Some updates finally

We finished up on the sanding for the rear euro bumper

Primed

Another of the car. More work to do on the hatch still.

Starting on the S4 bumper, we removed the crashbar, headlight washers, and the center grille, along with the license plate rivets so we can shaved all the holes

We used the old beat up filler plate as the donor plastic, which also filled in the bottom holes with the edge perfectly

Up next:

- More front bumper shaving, filling and body work
- Finish up on the hatch
- Set up the new air compressor so we can spray some primer down after we sand the rest of the body

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
This thread seems to be a little behind on my work, but I have an update after a very long hiatus. I didn't give up on this!

My dad's friend helped us out big time, and let us use his spray booth, taught us how to paint, helped us mix, and let us have our fun spraying our pieces ourselves. This was incredibly fun and unbelievably rewarding after all those summers of body work and endless sanding.

Today we did:

- Rear bumper
- Doors & handles
- Fenders
- Gas cap

·
Registered
877 Posts
Jealous of the paint booth! Looks like the paint came out pretty nicely. Looking forward to seeing more pics :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
Never seen this thread before, but I’m glad it caught my eye. Looks great! Followed.
So happy for the update! Glad to see things are coming along so well,
Jealous of the paint booth! Looks like the paint came out pretty nicely. Looking forward to seeing more pics :thumbup:
Thanks guys, I'm really lucky I got to use this booth. My dad's friend really helped us out a ton and I'm definitely really fortunate that we got this opportunity.

I have another update:

While we are waiting to use the spray booth again we've been doing some cutting and buffing.

Progress is as follows:

- wet sanding 1500, 3000
- 3m 36060 compound on rotary w/ wool pad
- Meguiar's 205 finishing polish on blue harbor freight foam pads on a 5.5" Porter Cable DA and then again on a black finishing pad on the rotary.
- Fender and drivers door done.

Next up while we're waiting for the booth on the 6th of July, more cutting and buffing and also prepping the rest of the panels to get painted. I did end up messing up the bumper with a drip, and then burn through trying to get the drip out. So we resanded it to 400 grit and will respray some clear over it when we get a chance. I might also need to redo the door handles because they are pretty orange peeled.

Panels left for paint are:
- hood (both sides)
- hatch (both sides)
- hatch spoiler
- rear bumper
- front bumper
- car body

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
The attention to detail is insane, keep it up :thumbup:
Thank you :thumbup:

This weekend was a big step in getting this project closer to the end!

The body, the hatch, bottom of the hood, and the rear bumper (messed up on it once) went in to get painted. It was super stressful, and you def have to be on top of time! Because once you start spraying if you wait too long between coats you can get solvent pop pretty easily. But overall I'm very happy with the results. Take a look!

And then back to the house!

Up next:
- lots of wet sanding there were a few drips but we found a neat bondo trick to get them out. So maybe it'll work fingers crossed!
- still need to paint top of hood, front bumper, spoiler, door handles (again), B and C pillars.
- Assembly (?)

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #240 ·
Past few days we've been wet sanding the car, taking out some drips and runs, and also prepping the remaining panels for paint. Also Painted the rear euro bumper, and gave it it's proper signature black lip in the back. Pretty happy with the results. Peeled a little in some areas but overall I am happy with it. We sprayed SEM Bumper Paint on it. SEM is really great stuff I trust their spray paints more than any other spray paint company to be honest.

I'm still amazed I picked up this bumper for $400. It was such a good deal and I'm so stoked with how it came out!

221 - 240 of 269 Posts