·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
Since the last update:

- Wet sanding 1500 & 3000 grit on the body
- Polishing the body
- Prepping panels for paint
- Painted hood, hatch, spoiler, bumper + grills, bolts, some s4 trim I needed, door handles, and B & C pillars

And a small video of the pillars:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BllVSRhDED2/?taken-by=jrandall11
I'm so happy with how everything came out.

That's the last of the panels to get painted! Everything is now painted! I can't believe it finally happened.

Up next:
- Wet Sanding
- Cut and buff
- Assembly!

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
So since the last update we've been busy polishing, and mounting panels onto the car. Some good stuff has happened and also some bad. On the rear left quarter and the hatch the clear coat burned through while we were working on sanding/polishing. It's really frustrating but this stuff is really common in this territory. You learn and move on. It definitely sucks when it happens though.

But onto the better news. Lots of panels are on the car! Just needs the hatch (needs another respray though [headbang])

Up next:

- Sand/mount hatch prep for respray
- Sand/prep rear left quarter for respray
- polish roof, right quarter, and fenders. Finish with glaze.
- mount roof rails, antenna, etc..
- Add facelift sunroof
- Add interior pieces back in!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Making mine look worse and worse one day at a time! CMON man dont do this to us 2.8 avant guys but in all seriousness im in love with this car and i hope you get a ton of enjoyment out of it all when its all done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
This looks sooo good. So jealous of how clean this thing is. And that rear bumper :thumbup:

When you say you are installing a facelift sunroof, whats the difference between facelift and preface lift?

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
Thanks guys really happy that we've been making this kinda progress!

Another update:
Drove it to the paint booth to fix some clear coat burn through we had on some of the panels. It really sucks that it happens, but luckily we had the resources to fix it. So we knocked it out again.

Took a few extra photos to take advantage of the super awesome paint booth lighting.

Later this week we will try to be extra careful wet sanding and buffing these. And we will also do some other stuff such as:

- Obtain S4 ring clips to install the s4 sides
- Emissions testing for CT
- Register the car
- Get a glass guy to install the rear windshield off my old hatch since we smashed the last one accidently
- Install interior again.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 · (Edited)
So the car made its big debut at Avantoberfest last month. It was incredible. My dad and I met so many awesome car people, and the ride up to Vermont was amazing. I couldn't ask for anything better, the car drove like a dream. For the past 2 months it's been nice to take this car to some local events, and it really puts a giant smile on my face any time I get to drive it. It really feels luxurious compared to even modern Audis. I even added a bluetooth adapter and pre-amp and the stock bose speakers even sound pretty decent!

Here's some photos from the past 2 months from some friends.

For now it'll get stored in the garage, until I'm not afraid to drive it in winter anymore...

There's still some stuff that has to get done, like assembling the rear trunk area, wiring in the facelift headliner, and mounting my air tank.. not to mention welding in a box for my rain tray notch. But there will be more to come. Thanks to everyone for following my build! I hope you like the results!

Edit: More pics!

·
Registered
877 Posts
The car looks phenomenal. Everything looks perfect, especially the rear end! I'm glad it's finally on the road!

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 ·
The car looks phenomenal. Everything looks perfect, especially the rear end! I'm glad it's finally on the road!
Thanks man! I'm so happy I was able to drive it again!

Ahhh 17" Rs's are a dream. But not in my budget at the moment. Realistically I think I'll be looking for wheels in a year or two. Sorry man!

241 - 260 of 269 Posts