VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

221 - 240 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Alright got some updates, although its not what I thought I would be updating today hah. I stumbled across a craigslist deal I couldnt refuse and spent the day picking up these wheels/tires and swapping them with my current setup. Absolutely stole these things off craigslist. 5 mint H2 wheels with 5 BFG ATs for a song so beautiful I wont even say the name. 2 of the tires are 90% and in great shape. The other 3 are crap. They are the stock size 315/70-17 that came on H2s.

Ive been researching H2 wheels on Dodge's for a long time now and have been waiting to scoop up a set. The one "issue" is the hub bore being smaller on the H2 wheels than the Dodge. Ive read 3 different ways to bore out the wheels. Machine shop, hole saw and router. So naturally at first I tried using a carbide bit to grind and it promptly clogged. So I thought heating the bit would help the aluminum fall out, nope, but snapped off. Try #2, router. Holy sh*t this worked so well!!! Once I got the hang of it each wheel only took about 5 minutes. SO glad I didnt give up and take them to a machine shop.

I can finally drive down the highway without wobbling!!! Although two of my tires are in pretty bad shape from uneven wear. Probably time for new 37s soon. If theres one thing I learned from this, I will not be fitting 40s without a ton of trimming, so 40s are probably not happening. Also, I can finally turn the steering wheel lock to lock for the first time in 3 years! hahaha:wings:

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
Mini update. Better pics and I got my ARB awning 95% done. Unfortunately since I mounted it directly to the topper its at a slight upward angle. The side support poles point up about 30% because of this so I cant set it up yet. I need to figure out a new piece thats a u-joint of sorts to replace the black plastic pieces the side support poles mount with.

Also washed the truck, Im really starting to like these H2 wheels. :victory:

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
Looks great, I have always enjoyed your updates. We were truck camping in Moab a couple of weeks ago. The RZR was so much fun.

Bill
Thank you! Ill be hitting moab here in about 10 days. I have a bunch of friends going out for EJS and also just normal Moab shenanigans. Should be there 4/12-16 ish.

Finished up my awning install yesterday. I replaced the plastic "pivot" pieces on the horizontal support poles with small heims and it works great! Its currently dumping snow here but in typical Denver fashion its going to be in the 70s in a couple days. Cant wait to take this puppy camping this weekend!!! Ive got more sewing to do and I need to clean out the back of the truck to make it a little nicer place to be.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Nice updates! The awning looks great.

Not going to lie though, I like the steelies better, but to each their own! Keep the updates coming.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
You're right about the wheels. Chrome and white is always a good combo in my eyes.
They are interesting wheels. Only the outer edge and small "oval" face of the spokes is chrome, the rest is plain aluminum. I was happy about this when I went to look at them because Im not a big chrome fan.

Nice updates! The awning looks great.

Not going to lie though, I like the steelies better, but to each their own! Keep the updates coming.
Thanks! I liked the steelies too, still do, but now that I know I was likely bending them offroad it makes sense to be on a stronger wheel.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
Continued cleaning up the inside of the topper today. Replaced the busted screen. Vacuumed the carpeted insides, cleaned all the windows. Just need to do a last minute wash out of the bedliner and Ill be ready to figure out my recovery gear and camping gear storage. Hopefully before tomorrow! Still need to wire it up, install lights inside and install the curtains/rods.

Also cleaned up and repainted the old steelies so hopefully they sell.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
More updates yay!

Installed my side curtain rods and curtains. Still haven't figured out what Im going to do at the cab and at the tailgate for window covers. I forgot to take a picture but I used the mounting brackets that came with the rods and bent them to a different shape and then used screws from the window frames to mount the brackets. This was my plan all along and I used measurements to sew all the curtains ahead of time. Luckily my measurements were correct! I also vacuumed the sh*t out of the carpeting. My last topper was doing the same thing where it seems like its literally crumbling. When you run your finger across the carpet tons of slightly bigger than dust size particles of white stuff breaks free and floats off. Its definitely some type of fiber not the adhesive underneath which I originally thought. After running the shop vac over it for a solid 30 minutes Id had enough. I think its a lot better but its not done. Anyway, its livable in there now. Im about to pull the trigger on a bedrug.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
Last Saturday I went through the Hayman fire burn area and did some dirt road cruisin with a few friends. It was a blast and the new setup works really well. I got some of those giant screws that you put in the ground to tie your dog to and used some ratchet straps off the corner of the awning. Handled 50mph wind no problem!

Too bad iphones are terrible in low light. This spot was amazing. The Moon was up over Pikes Peak and it was perfectly clear, thanks to 50mph wind all night. Pikes Peak can be seen barely just to the left of my drivers side mirror. Its the little white section on the horizon. Looks so tiny but we were only about 30 miles away as the crow flies.

Here is a closeup of my setup for tonight. Moab will be a little different since Ill have a bunch of bike gear with me. $50 cot from Cabelas with a Pendelton blanket was super comfy.

I was with two lifted Rangers and two Volvo station wagons hahahaha. My buddy owns a Volvo repair shop and these guys are NOT afraid to break their sh*t. As you have probably seen in past updates of this thread. No trail is too difficult to at least attempt by one of these crazy guys. The sky was beautiful, the moon was full, it was suuuper windy and we just drove for hours.

Open range

The clouds felt like you could reach out and touch them.

Pikes Peak from about 50 miles away as the crow flies.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
Then I busted my arse all day today getting ready for Moab. Wired up the LEDs and switch I had in my last topper but did a nicer job this time, made a mount for my bikes and finished the window cover for the rear window. I wound up using 3/4" sticky backed velcro sewed to the curtain fabric and cut it to fit the shape of the window which I framed out with the velcro. Turned out really awesome. Ill get some more day/night shots once Im set up in Moab tomorrow. I only need to do the cab side window now but I haven't decided if Im going to bother. Its late, I still need to do laundry and pack clothes for the trip and Im getting up at 6am so I can meet some Easter Jeep Safari peeps in Moab tomorrow afternoon!

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
bitchin' :thumbup:

think you might add a cargo basket/box to the bed cover for extra storage?

221 - 240 of 267 Posts