VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

241 - 260 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Love the awning solution and setup. Clean and simple.
Thank you

Yessss, looking forward to pics :thumbup:
:thumbup: working on it now

bitchin' :thumbup:

think you might add a cargo basket/box to the bed cover for extra storage?
Im trying to keep my overall height to a minimum. Right now its ~6'9" so I can actually fit into a lot of parking garages still. Since I travel so much for work and play its nice to be able to stick the truck in covered parking during inclement weather, heat etc. Also a LOT of the trails I run in Colorado are extremely tight and I dont want to add unnecessary height. I can fit more than enough stuff inside the bed and still have plenty of sleeping room. The only issue at the moment is gas storage. Im toying with a couple of rear bumper/hitch spare/gas can carrier ideas right now. If I find a girl that likes me enough to sleep in back with me Ill consider some kind of under bed storage slider system and build an actual bed platform. Until then its staying as is.

Those lights are sweet. Are they dimmable? Looking forward to Moab pics, we just went 4 wheeling near Colorado Springs and it was a blast.
They are not dimmable. I havent looked into a dimmer but Im sure just about anything is possible. They are WAY too bright, I removed half of them hah.

Looks good.
:beer:

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #242 (Edited)
I stole this recap from my instagram post because Im super busy and fly out to Vegas for a week tomorrow hah. Had one of the most badass weeks of my life camping in Moab, mountain biking, hiking at Arches National Park, flying kites, teaching kids how to ride a bike, playing with bugs, drinking lots of beer and whiskey, sleeping in the back of my truck, not showering for 5 days, not really doing anything Jeep related even though it was Easter Jeep Safari, except for hangin with some offroad industry friends for a day.

Long story short, truck setup works. Theres a few tweaks Ill make which I will surely cover in this thread but I like it a lot the way it is. Cot is comfy, window covers work, awning works but I need a second one over the rear of the truck or switch to a 270 degree awning.

It was my friends 30th birthday and hes a moto geek so we camped in an actual campsite instead of typical Utah middle of knowhere spots because he wanted to be at dirtbike trailheads. This was good and bad; there was a bathroom = good, there was a ton of other people around = bad. We had about 20 people that came into and out of our camp over 6 days. I was the first there and almost last to leave. The first night this rad guy pulled up in a super duty with a HUGE trailer and proceeded to unload every toy under the sun. We were the only two people within earshot on the first night(Tuesday) and just drank whiskey around the camp fire and shot the sh*t about cars, trucks, skiing, cycling etc. Turns out it was retired pro skier Gordy Peifer. I could not believe it when he told me his name, I grew up watching this guy in ski videos. What an awesome stars aligning experience.

Anyway, I know the term is way overused these days but it was quite literally an epic trip.

Delicate Arch. This is the one on the license plates and all the tourism pictures of Utah, its unofficially the official image of Utah. If you haven't been to Arches National Park. Go. If you happen to be there today its free for Earth Day, as all National Parks are. :thumbup:

Cheesy grin, 3 mile hike to this spot.

When in the desert one must drink beer so you have something to stabilize your kite in high winds and also something to shoot at. :laugh:

Sorry about the vertical video, it was hard to get everything in the shot and be close enough to actually see anything hah!

We did not shoot at the nicer kite hah.

Big bugs in the desert.

My buddies 1970s Airstream "Landyacht" that he pulls with a 1970s Dodge Ram with a 12v cummins regular cab long bed with 2 motos in the back! He's been rebuilding the airstream from the ground up for two years and its about 95% done, this was its maiden voyage. Its ridiculously awesome. Literally awe inspiring.

You had to climb up the ~200 foot high rocks to get cell service. This is a view of our campsite before everyone showed up, except Gordy. You can see a Jeep caravan in the distance.

This was my nook between a bunch of huge rocks for the first two nights.

I didnt take a lot of pictures in town of EJS Jeeps because I only spent one afternoon down there. It was just too effin crazy to even waste your time, and I like busy bustling cities. I did snap this pic of a JKU with a pop top and a Wagoneer front end, saw a bunch of them, apparently its popular. I like it.

When Jeeps make your full size truck on 37s look small. Red Jeep is on 40s. White Jeep is an LS swapped stretched coilovered YJ on 42 inch sticky Trepadors. :eek:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Favourite thread on Vortex :thumbup::thumbup::beer:

Been a couple years since I read some updates. Gotta say, you are living the dream!

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
Sounds like an awesome trip. I need a Moab trip in my life. How was the mountain biking?
I only rode one day. It was a fun little network within riding distance of our campsite. It was so EFFING windy I didnt want to do anything but drink whiskey and fly kites, so I did hahaha. :laugh:

Wow, that looks awesome. Can't beat those views. Oh, and that airstream is sweet.
Yeah its a ridiculous place and Im super jealous of the airstream except for the fact that you cant take it to 9/10 places I go camping.

Favourite thread on Vortex :thumbup::thumbup::beer:

Been a couple years since I read some updates. Gotta say, you are living the dream!
Thats quite the compliment, thank you! :beer:

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
TRIP REPORT TIME!!!!! :popcorn:

Im going to have to split this trip report into a few posts hahaha. I took 500 pictures over 10 days. So my buddy wanted to go to Moab for his 30th birthday. A few of us happily obliged. :sombrero: The first night we got in super late and just passed out. I wish I had a fancy camera though, we were camped near canyonlands which rumor has it is one of the best places on the planet to see stars. It was a new moon and you could see the entire milky way with your naked eye. Ive seen aurora borealis a few times and it paled in comparison to this. It looked exactly like all those overexposed pictures you see online. :Wow1: Sorry no crappy iphone pictures. Instead heres a picture of a knotted chunk of mesquite we burned. I love mesquite.

So the next morning we went on a little overlanding adventure, blasting some sandy washes and farting around for about 30 miles in the dirt. We wound up at the trailhead for Metal Masher, its rated difficult, so what did we do? Run it! Two of my buddies are in Ford Rangers as you'll see in the pictures. The red one is stock on 255-85-16s, the grey one is also on 255-85-16s but with a torsion bar delete/coilover conversion and a lift in the rear to support all his overland kit. All three of us made it through the trail with basically zero issues. Metal masher is a rather long trail, we didnt realize it would take so long to complete. It slowly increases in difficulty as the trail goes on and makes you not want to turn around because the ride in is quite bumpy in the "rock you back and forth" loosen up your neck annoying kind of way. The hardest obstacles on the trail are giant rock ledges, mostly 3-4 feet high but some bigger ones and almost every obstacle had varying routes to try. Most of the trail is wide open, there were a few spots where I had to do a 5 point turn but a fullsize with a slide in camper could do this trail. It took us about 5 hours to get through. It was an unexpectedly long day. Keep that in mind if you plan to run Metal Masher. Theres lots of slickrock in the second half of the trail.

The scenery is so absurdly awesome. Words cant describe it. Near the end of the trail you drive right up to the cliffs edge. The road in the distance is 191 which is the main drag going into moab. You can see this bluff when heading into/out of town. Im not sure how high it is but 1000+ feet wouldnt surprise me.

Finally...on to the good stuff. VIDEOS!!!

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
Badass :beer: Looking forward to the rest of your report.

I will be in Moab for the first time tomorrow, I am very excited!

I hope you're having fun out there. If you have service and see this, I'm sure you have stuff planned but if you want suggestions hit me up!

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
Trip report 2/4(look back a page for wheelin videos!)

Day 3 I woke up to the sight in the picture below. Quite the view. Just past my camp stove you can see the edge of the cliff. It was similar to the cliff in the last pictures, at least 1000 feet down. This cliff edge is the actual border of Canyonlands National Park. Took about 30 miles of driving down unmarked meandering dirt roads to get to this spot. Thankfully one of the guys with us had camped here before and knew how to get back. I made sure to log the coordinates for next time.

On the way into this site we crossed paths with one of the crazier wild creatures Ive ever seen. Actually in the wild at least; a kangoroo mouse. Its really hard to see in the picture but its about the size of a field mouse with back legs and a tail that look exactly like a kangaroo, just tiny. Its face and front "legs" hang in the air as it bounces around on its back legs. Incredibly weird, had no idea they existed here. Not really sure how we even spotted it, thankfully we didn't run it over. (I zoomed in and cropped the photo, sorry its crappy)

Stock photo of a kangaroo mouse. :elkgrin:

More nature, sorry not sorry. There are lots of cacti in Utah. Not big ones like saguaro in Arizona but little ones...with exceptionally sharp spines. Sharp enough to embed in rubber tires. Try getting something to actually stick in your rubber tires, Ill wager you cant. Probably best to avoid flip flops around here.

Leaving this camp spot was another 30 miles of dirt roads with incredible views. So much fun blasting sandy washes and dirt roads with 15psi in the tires. Feels/sounds very similar to driving on a road with a fresh 6" of snow, smooth and silent.

The dust is so fine it will collect on the width of a vinyl sticker on a vertical surface. :Wow1:

We drove around for another 25 miles or so this day, just relaxing and exploring. Figured for once maybe well end up in our camp spot before dark. We arrived just in time to watch the sun set. Along the way I stumbled across one of the coolest things Ive ever found in the middle of nowhere, or anywhere for that matter. A U.S. General Land Office survey marker FROM 1916!!!!! I was completely blown away by this. It proclaims "Penalty of $250 for removal" Thats quite a lot of dough for 1916! Hopefully it has been there since 1916 and isn't just stamped 1916, I like to believe the former.

My last camp spot in Moab with this group of people was randomly between a few flat top mountains, mesas, bluffs, whatever you want to call em.

Next up, leaving Moab, trip report 3/4.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
Trip update 3/4. Go to 1/4 for videos! :victory:

OK, so that was supposed to be the end of my trip. Cruise back to Denver, nice long weekend in Moab with friends. NOPE

My buddy Dave texts me and says he's bike packing from Denver to Vegas with a some other guys and I should try to meet up with them as we cross paths. So instead of driving the highway back to Denver with my friends I decide to head the "back way" out of Moab towards Telluride. I later learned there is a new "trail" that was connected last year between Moab and Montrose CO that is 150 miles without ever touching pavement!!! I did not take this route but I will be back for sure. Probably make a 3-4 day trip out of it. I digress, so I take 191 south through Moab and turn East on 46 which hits the Colorado state line and turns into CO-90. There is absolutely zero traffic on this road, no surprise on a random weekday morning. It also happens to be an incredibly beautiful drive. There are so many times I wish I were in a fast/well sorted car when Im on these trips, this was one of those times.

#selfie...sorry

"Simpsons" clouds

What you can see in these next few pictures R-L are Dolores Peak(not a 14er) Mt Wilson(14er) Wilson Peak(14er) El Diente Peak(over 14K but not enough prominence to be its own "14er") and a mess of other peaks in the San Juan and San Miguel Ranges. Colorado is like no place else. :Wow1:

OK fast forward an hour. I get into Telluride and figure Ill go hit up my favorite camp spot Alta Lakes(if you go to Telluride you HAVE to see this) but the weather says otherwise. Its June and Its dumping snow. Having just come from Moab at 90 degrees this is fun. I get within a half mile of the lake/camp sites and the road is still covered in deep enough snow that I don't bother. It gets much worse after these pictures and I dont want to get stuck, alone, at 12,000 feet, while its snowing. So I head into Telluride to regroup.

Downtown Telluride is boring and ugly, dont ever go...

If you do stumble into town though, make sure you stop in the New Sheridan Hotel Bar for some libations. Nearly unchanged since 1895.

So I take some advice from the barkeep and head back up a different mountain. I see a crapload of elk, I find myself in a ghost town at dusk and I wind up staying at a state park campground because I couldnt find anything else(surprisingly) and I was getting really tired.

Up next, trip report 4/4...this might have to be 5 parts.

·
Registered
632 Posts
2 things:

1) I wish I had friends that did and liked this kind of stuff.

2) It looks so beautiful out West.

Awesome trip man. I'm so jealous.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
This is awesome, please keep it coming!
:thumbup:

2 things:

1) I wish I had friends that did and liked this kind of stuff.

2) It looks so beautiful out West.

Awesome trip man. I'm so jealous.
Sounds like you need some new friends. If you want to come on an adventure out west just hit me up!

Interim update. Paid off the truck today which is nice. Also truck is currently listed for its biannual sale attempt on Craigslist. Atl-atl's Ram 2500 for sale ad.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
:thumbup:
Interim update. Paid off the truck today which is nice. Also truck is currently listed for its biannual sale attempt on Craigslist. Atl-atl's Ram 2500 for sale ad.
Sad to hear it's for sale again, but I can understand why you would want to try something different.

Take this for what you want – personally when I see an ad that is as incredibly detailed as yours, especially about mods, it slightly scares me to shoot a text about being interested. It makes me feel like this truck can't just be used for normal truck stuff, like a lot potential buyers might want. Sometimes the best ads are the simple ones. I'm not saying you shouldn't disclose everything about the truck, people have the right to know what they're buying, but IMO condensing it down to 2-3 paragraphs would do wonders for helping you get some interest. Tell people those details like the type of oil you used in person, maybe hand them a printout of the maintenance/mods that they can read if they want to. These things might be important to you, but not everyone cares as much as we do. :laugh:

Again, grain of salt, simply my opinion. Best of luck with the sale, thanks again for the update!

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
Sad to hear it's for sale again, but I can understand why you would want to try something different.

Take this for what you want – personally when I see an ad that is as incredibly detailed as yours, especially about mods, it slightly scares me to shoot a text about being interested. It makes me feel like this truck can't just be used for normal truck stuff, like a lot potential buyers might want. Sometimes the best ads are the simple ones. I'm not saying you shouldn't disclose everything about the truck, people have the right to know what they're buying, but IMO condensing it down to 2-3 paragraphs would do wonders for helping you get some interest. Tell people those details like the type of oil you used in person, maybe hand them a printout of the maintenance/mods that they can read if they want to. These things might be important to you, but not everyone cares as much as we do. :laugh:

Again, grain of salt, simply my opinion. Best of luck with the sale, thanks again for the update!
Ive gone back and forth with simple ads/complex ones. Around here people see and drive lifted, modded trucks. If it were stock I would list it as such and be simple about it. If I put it back to stock and sold the parts so I could sell the truck as stock I would list it that way. Also, I much prefer to see all the details. It really annoys me when I see ads with "too much to list" or something to that effect. You know that person is a d-bag to deal with and thinks their junk is WAY nicer than it actually is. You also know they don't have all their info about the car readily available, which probably means it isnt well documented or cared for. Unless its a numbers matching muscle car with a 50 year history etc. I want to see a list of whats done so I can eliminate it as an option without having to contact you.

This thread inspires me to go on more adventures with my 4x4 crap rather than just daily them. :thumbup::thumbup:
Im glad I could do that for you!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Ive gone back and forth with simple ads/complex ones. Around here people see and drive lifted, modded trucks. If it were stock I would list it as such and be simple about it. If I put it back to stock and sold the parts so I could sell the truck as stock I would list it that way. Also, I much prefer to see all the details. It really annoys me when I see ads with "too much to list" or something to that effect. You know that person is a d-bag to deal with and thinks their junk is WAY nicer than it actually is. You also know they don't have all their info about the car readily available, which probably means it isn't well documented or cared for. Unless its a numbers matching muscle car with a 50 year history etc. I want to see a list of whats done so I can eliminate it as an option without having to contact you.
Totally agree on "too much to list" - if you couldn't take the time to type it out, how many shortcuts did you take on the build, you know? Your explanation makes sense, GLWS!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Read this whole thread. Awesome truck and it seemed to be fairly trouble free. I'm bummed you sold it but always gotta progress to the next thing.

This thread solidifies my want for an american regular cab 4x4 truck with a V8. I've always wanted one of those GMT900 Silverados 1500 with everything manual/basic.
I'll probably end up with an xterra or similar for practicality.

Anyway awesome read, can't wait to see the adventures you'll have in the jeep.

241 - 260 of 267 Posts