VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
13,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This story started about 2 years ago when I traded in my 2013 S4 on a Land Rover LR4. I liked the S4 but never loved it and we needed more space for the kids and dog so I pulled the trigger and become a suburban Dad with a giant SUV. While doing this I got my wife to agree at some point I'd be able to buy a fun car on the condition that it could fit the four of us in it. Fast forward to about 3 months ago and I really started to look at cars and get serious about buying something. The list came down to an E92 M3, a Shelby GT350 and the M2. The M2 won out for being the best all-around and I loved the size as it feels like the right size for a 3rd car.

I looked at and drove a few other cars before buying the M2 to make sure it's really what I wanted and in the end it did everything well. I was lucky enough to find one in stock at a nearby dealer exactly how I would have equipped it; 6 speed, black sapphire metallic paint and that's it. I'm guessing it was a car someone ordered and then didn't follow through on since every other M2 I've seen on a dealer lot has had the executive package or a ton of M performance parts to bring the price up. I initially reached out to the dealer about 6 weeks ago and they offered $500 off MSRP. I was in no rush so I passed and on a whim I received an email from the dealer last week asking if I was still interested and what it would take to get a deal done. I threw out $53,000 knowing that any discount on an M2 was good but people were starting to get a little more off with the M2 competition on the horizon and some dealers having a few M2's on the lot. They accepted and I picked the car up on Friday.

In terms of initial driving impressions it’s awesome. I love the M2’s size, the suspension and chassis dynamics are fantastic. It feels small and light with a really direct chassis. I’m not going to sit here and say it has more or less steering feel than anything else but I feel like I know what the front end is doing and that’s really all I care about. It’s a stiff car which is one of the criticisms but I don’t find it overly harsh even on NJ’s terrible roads. I haven’t had a chance to really open it up yet but it has plenty of power for the chassis. Sure the S55 will make it faster when the M2 competition debuts later next month but it wasn’t something I felt like the car really needed, plus the N55 sounds better :p

I don't know how much I'll modify the car but I'll likely focus on cosmetics to start with. My black front and side grills get delivered today and once it’s broken it I’ll try to get to the track so expect a report once that happens. It’s a blast having a fun car again and even better that my 4 year son and 2 year old daughter get to go for rides in it. My 4 year old loves the burbles and pops from the exhaust along with the HP and torque display that you can pull up in sport mode. Of course they both now have M2 hot wheels and brought them in the actual M2 when we went out for breakfast Saturday morning. No real time to detail it yet so here are a few shots from delivery. I’m hoping to spend some time detailing it this weekend so expect some better shots then.
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
587 Posts
Congratulations. Looks awesome. Drove one during the M Track Days event at Monticello Motor Club last year and it was a lot of fun on the track.

With what you cross-shopped it with I think you picked the right one or at least what I would have picked. :laugh:

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
Darnit, congrats. Someone in this neighborhood works for BMW and has a black M2 with the M Performance exhaust in the parking garage. I always drool over it whenever I walk or drive past it. I also prefer the OEM winter wheel set, as the 18's are a nice design and IMO 19" is already a bit too big for that car.

·
Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's) / '21 SQ5 (on order)
40,258 Posts
Nice! Love those rear fenders in the last pic. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,457 Posts
Doin it right.

Congrats :thumbup::beer: Enjoy.

If you're going to tune it, I'd go the dealer + dinan route for peace of mind and the ability to recoup at least something when it comes time to off load the car. Go for stage II which should include the air intake, exhaust, tune, may run near $5000, which is a lot, but when you can say that you have a Stage II Dinan M2, it holds some weight. Or keep it stock. Can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
Nice. That's how I was going to order one for ED a couple years ago. How did you post pictures as attachments?

·
Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's) / '21 SQ5 (on order)
40,258 Posts
Doin it right.

Congrats :thumbup::beer: Enjoy.

If you're going to tune it, I'd go the dealer + dinan route for peace of mind and the ability to recoup at least something when it comes time to off load the car. Go for stage II which should include the air intake, exhaust, tune, may run near $5000, which is a lot, but when you can say that you have a Stage II Dinan M2, it holds some weight. Or keep it stock. Can't go wrong either way.
A Dinan Stage 1 that only adds 30hp/30lb-ft for $1500...

Or just get a BurgerTuning JB4 piggyback for $530 that adds 60hp to the wheels...

·
Registered
18,889 Posts
Or just get a BurgerTuning JB4 piggyback for $530 that adds 60hp to the wheels...
You are paying for Dinan's extensive R&D and a warranty that not only mirrors that of BMW, but also plays nice with BMW. Anything happens, your dealer will still service your car and even remove the tune, free of charge, if it proves problematic. This happened with quite a few F10 M5, M6 and F15/16 X5M and X6Ms as Dinan sorted through the programming.

I'll spend more on peace of mind than bragging rights.:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
Congrats Mike. Beautiful!

·
Premium Member
6,457 Posts

You are paying for Dinan's extensive R&D and a warranty that not only mirrors that of BMW, but also plays nice with BMW. Anything happens, your dealer will still service your car and even remove the tune, free of charge, if it proves problematic. This happened with quite a few F10 M5, M6 and F15/16 X5M and X6Ms as Dinan sorted through the programming.

I'll spend more on peace of mind than bragging rights.:thumbup:
Exactly the point. If I buy a nice new shiny warrantied 3rd car that is basically my baby, I'm not going to start throwing parts at it that have no dealer support. Every used turbo bmw can go and get a JB tune because its cheap and cost effective but often spikey and not the greatest to live with. If something goes pop, you're on your own. Go Dinan however and the dealer is now your tuning shop and you're still covered under an identical warranty. And as I mentioned before, you can actually list Dinan modifications in a for sale ad and expect to get more interest as opposed to the typical 'ah crap it was modified and now worth less' types.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Those are truly my favorite BMWs. I would have no urge to modify it ,as it is so perfect as it is.

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
27,753 Posts
Love it, congrats on the new ride! I hope it treats you well into the future.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
2021 RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2010 A6 Avant, 2002 Chevy 2500, 1988 16v Scircco
10,191 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Congrats! M2 is my favorite car that BMW sells right now by a country mile. The CS/competition/whatever will be nuts, but I'm really in it for those fender flares.

Did you ever write up a comparo between the M2 and GT350? I have a feeling I know how it would shake out but I'm still interested in your impressions.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts