VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Re: My Oil Catch Can turned Oil Air separtor (ThatGuy)

Quote, originally posted by ThatGuy »
so does this just hang on the supports that you made?

Yeah the can just attaches to the brackets via a large hose clamp.
(I added a small piece of Mouse Mat foam between 'L' braket and Can so as not to damage the alimimum can side when tightening then clamp up.)
There are 2 'L' brackers fixed to the mounting plate.
Parts:

One of the 'L' brackets has a curved face to fit the side of the catch can.

Okey Dokey... Did a Pela Oil change on Thursday Night... Took some pics of the can and what it is doing.... eeekkkk!
Well it is working:
CCV output tube is covered internally:

A close up of the Tubes... White Paper is behind so as to give a clearer picture and som contrast. I have some oil splattering back out of the Catch Can
:

A closeup of the inlet/outlet port on the can...

I do not know why the outlet is getting oil splatters from the can.
The Inlet is designed so the vapours are forced too the bottom of the can (via the copper tubeing I added) then all the vapours will then have to pass through all the Stainless Steel Wool before exiting from the top port. The can is not full of oil... but the principle of the can is working... filter the vapours and try and collect/extract the oil.
So why the splattering?
I have to take it off and have a look...
... and while I'm there fix a leak in one of the threads... I need to add some Plumbers Gas or Water tape to all the treads as oil has seeped onto the side of the can from the inlet port.

Modified by Gigitt at 12:42 AM 8-14-2008

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Re: (yeayeayea)

Quote, originally posted by yeayeayea »

What grade ss wool did you use? the real fine stringy stuff should do the trick, not the tangled coil design.

I used the curly SS Scourers... Some course some fine... all ribbon tape... it is not wool. Wool would be too fine and and if any bits break off then they are potential turbo busters... so Scourers was used - plenty of scourers.

I took the Can oof last night to give it some Plumbers tape on the threads... While I had it all unscrewed I just stuffed another 1 big and 3 small SS Scourer pads in there last night after poking a chopstick inside and packing the pad up a bit more. I was trying to get some pads up between the inlet tube and outer wall of the can. This is where there is more chance that the vapours have less pads to pass through ie: letting the gas hit the bottom of the can then straight back up and out. There is like 6 big and 12 small ones stuffed in there now.
Have to temp install it as Im redoing the hoses... and need to drive to get some hoses and clamps.

I decided that I'll put 3cm length of small hose over the inlet/outlet pipes and nipple, then put the 12mm ID clear hose over this as much as I can then use a hose clamp to hold things tight. Will also buy hose clamps for the rest of the system as the nylon hose gets soft with the heat and there is potential for a hose to pop off under vibration... just to be safe!

·
Registered
20,984 Posts
Re: My Oil Catch Can turned Oil Air separtor (Gigitt)

i know this is a really old thread... but can you please give us an update?
i'm trying to do this on my car as well.... how did you fix the oil-in-outlet-pipe issue?

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Re: My Oil Catch Can turned Oil Air separtor (mujjuman)

Catch can is still going and going and going.
Doing it job fine.
Don't know why there were a few oil spots in the outlet... but thats all there was and still is in the pipe.
The Inlet pipe is black now the outlet still has a light brown stain.
A catch can is not going you remove 100% of the oil out of the CCV air. if you get 95% oil out then that still mean you will not have clean you intercooler for another 100 years!

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Re: My Oil Catch Can turned Oil Air separtor (Gigitt)

This thread is really out of character with Vortex!
An intelligent post on Vortex ??? One for Mythbusters.
(Gigitt must be Azn)

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Re: My Oil Catch Can turned Oil Air separtor (AA003)

Quote, originally posted by AA003 »
This thread is really out of character with Vortex!
An intelligent post on Vortex ??? One for Mythbusters.
(Gigitt must be Azn)

LOL...
baboom

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.