VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Nice build. I always liked the coupe. Looking forward to updates.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
923 Posts
What a cool find, awesome to see it brought back to life after sitting for so long. Can't wait for updates :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Had one of these back in the day. Great car if a bit underpowered.

Love the cloth interior. :thumbup:
Same here, a black 1991 (hence my username). I loved the car but it started to cost me too much to keep at the time. I wish I still had it though.

The 5 cylinder with a scorpion exhaust sounded fantastic, it just didn't go as fast as it sounded. I always wanted to swap a 200 motor or try to turbo the 20V.

OP good luck with it. Glad you made the thread. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2019 Accord Sport, 2016 Golf, 1990 Audi Coupe Quattro
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Also, the quattroworld forums may be a good place to source parts for this thing.

https://forums.quattroworld.com/classifieds-parts/
This is amazing, thank you!

Same here, a black 1991 (hence my username). I loved the car but it started to cost me too much to keep at the time. I wish I still had it though.

The 5 cylinder with a scorpion exhaust sounded fantastic, it just didn't go as fast as it sounded. I always wanted to swap a 200 motor or try to turbo the 20V.

OP good luck with it. Glad you made the thread. :thumbup:
Haha running around the block I can feel what you mean but luckily it'll just be a cruiser/show no go for now. The current accidental muffler delete really gives me the sound I like, quiet idle and cruise but when you open it up it has that nice 5 cyl rumble. My daily is plenty quick enough for me right now but it might motivate me to do something ridiculous down the road anyways (I've been following an S2 clone build on Youtube that's giving me plenty of ideas)

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
2021 RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2010 A6 Avant, 2002 Chevy 2500, 1988 16v Scircco
9,892 Posts
Man, I love these and they are so underappreciated. You can pick these up for cheap. Here is a little inspiration for OP as this showed up at the store the other day:

Untitled by smooremin, on Flickr

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Man, I love these and they are so underappreciated. You can pick these up for cheap. Here is a little inspiration for OP as this showed up at the store the other day:

Untitled by smooremin, on Flickr
This is a beauty. I'd love to find a euro front bumper, the bulbous NA bumper looks like a big underbite lol

·
Registered
818 Posts

Had one a red one myself in like 97. Worse car I ever owned tbh. Bent valves, bad tranny, idle valve, kept burning starters, clutch line all in one summer :banghead:

mad:. But the days it ran was a show stopper.

Btw I ran Koni adjustable shocks and H&R springs and the\at suspension totally change the car.

Good Luck :beer:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Small update today,

Work finished early and I have nothing going on today so I decided to deal with a gas smell and losing pressure in the fuel lines (need to prime it a few times for it to fire) fuel pump has been replaced and cleaned up and while doing the filter a noticed the rubber line coming out of the fuel filter didnt look so great. Lo and behold, it was super toast and leaking. So after much searching found a nice new line, cut out the old one, put in the new one and voila no more leaking line. Flanging it was a bit of a pain underneath but with some creativity it was finished. Pic of old crusty line;

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Yea they seem to like to die.. but hopefully this one lasts. So after running the car for a while looks like I have a hardware issue. The washers that were used for the banjo bolt on the output side of the fuel line (The one I replaced) seem to be one time use crush washers. It has started leaking like a sieve. Time to find some matching crush washers and hopefully be done with this fuel line stuff so I stop smelling like gas!

·
Premium Member
Bunch of Crappy VWs
3,676 Posts
Yea they seem to like to die.. but hopefully this one lasts. So after running the car for a while looks like I have a hardware issue. The washers that were used for the banjo bolt on the output side of the fuel line (The one I replaced) seem to be one time use crush washers. It has started leaking like a sieve. Time to find some matching crush washers and hopefully be done with this fuel line stuff so I stop smelling like gas!
Crush washers are definitely one time use. But my experience is that the replacements that come with new fuel filters/pumps aren't right. If the washer is too thick (outside minus inside, not height), then it takes more force to crush/seal than you can provide without stripping out threads. I picked up a kit of aluminum crush washers on Amazon a few months ago just because of that. Aluminum also crushes easier than copper. Works for all the times that you forget to buy replacement crush washers for the oil drain plug, as well.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07G83MFDK/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_DQhhEb5JGWHK8

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4
25,233 Posts
Cool car! I almost bought one some 15 years ago. Keep this thread updated. :thumbup::beer:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Crush washers are definitely one time use. But my experience is that the replacements that come with new fuel filters/pumps aren't right. If the washer is too thick (outside minus inside, not height), then it takes more force to crush/seal than you can provide without stripping out threads. I picked up a kit of aluminum crush washers on Amazon a few months ago just because of that. Aluminum also crushes easier than copper. Works for all the times that you forget to buy replacement crush washers for the oil drain plug, as well.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07G83MFDK/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_DQhhEb5JGWHK8
Just what I need, thank you! For some reason my new fuel filter never came with hardware. It was also a Bosch filter in a FRAM box lol. I will attribute it to Rock Auto's warehouse clearance sale and it getting mixed up at some point.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts