VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Crush washers are definitely one time use. But my experience is that the replacements that come with new fuel filters/pumps aren't right. If the washer is too thick (outside minus inside, not height), then it takes more force to crush/seal than you can provide without stripping out threads. I picked up a kit of aluminum crush washers on Amazon a few months ago just because of that. Aluminum also crushes easier than copper. Works for all the times that you forget to buy replacement crush washers for the oil drain plug, as well.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07G83MFDK/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_DQhhEb5JGWHK8
You can reuse copper crush washers if you re-anneal them. (Heat them with a mapp torch to white-hot and quench in water) Just FYI if you need to in a pinch.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Sweet. And that is not at all a bad interior look for the age of the car. Guess I haven't seen the inside of a Coupe Quattro before
The interiors in these felt of higher quality than the disposable B5 A4 interiors which looked great when new but dont hold up

·
Registered
2019 Accord Sport, 2016 Golf, 1990 Audi Coupe Quattro
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
You can reuse copper crush washers if you re-anneal them. (Heat them with a mapp torch to white-hot and quench in water) Just FYI if you need to in a pinch.
That's great to know, thanks! luckily for this one its no rush but good to store in the back of the brain when I'll inevitably need it :beer:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Look what showed up! Hopefully this weekend going to finally finish this fuel line that is taking longer than it really should..

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Ok.. Fuel lines done and car is back up and running after a while! (Woof, the lifter tick was real)

In the process of running for a while last night it decided that it no longer needs coolant

Time for a silicone hose upgrade!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Just a small update from the weekend. Car has recently started running poorly occasionally and I didn't think much of it, figured probably some vacuum line leaks that I would get to eventually. Well this weekend it just struggled to start and when it did it ran good for a few mins before bogging itself out and running like garbage or just completely bogging out and shutting off. OK, its more than just a vacuum line issue. Grab my compression tester first and run a test on all 5 cylinders, were good. While pulling the plugs I notice one looks absolutely brand new. Dammit. Check spark, we're good, pull injectors it looks like it hasn't sprayed in a while, its dirty, not great. OK so we have an injector issue!

Things came up and I hit pause so next I need to find a shop to test/rebuild my injectors and at the same time check the voltage to the injector connectors and make sure we're getting power. In the meantime I should probably also double check the distributor and make sure that is all good too.

Any other ideas always welcome! :beer::beer:

·
Premium Member
Bunch of Crappy VWs
3,703 Posts
Just a small update from the weekend. Car has recently started running poorly occasionally and I didn't think much of it, figured probably some vacuum line leaks that I would get to eventually. Well this weekend it just struggled to start and when it did it ran good for a few mins before bogging itself out and running like garbage or just completely bogging out and shutting off. OK, its more than just a vacuum line issue. Grab my compression tester first and run a test on all 5 cylinders, were good. While pulling the plugs I notice one looks absolutely brand new. Dammit. Check spark, we're good, pull injectors it looks like it hasn't sprayed in a while, its dirty, not great. OK so we have an injector issue!

Things came up and I hit pause so next I need to find a shop to test/rebuild my injectors and at the same time check the voltage to the injector connectors and make sure we're getting power. In the meantime I should probably also double check the distributor and make sure that is all good too.

Any other ideas always welcome! :beer::beer:
Sounds like you're on the right track without other ideas!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Small update.. In the hunt for a windshield! If anyone has a lead on one..

Ended up trading for another coupe with a friend of mine locally for the sake of having a now running and driving and (nearly) street legal car! Needs some love on the body and some trim and little things put back together plus a paint or wrap job but nothing I cant get done. Main thing is drivetrain and suspension is solid and updated accordingly :)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
About those injectors.. DO NOT even waste your time on Hitachi injectors!!! rebuild, balance, repair, recondition, new old stock... all garbage.
Just get these and be done forever and be happy with how much better the car runs:

https://store.034motorsport.com/audi-7a-efi-injector-adapter-kit-for-b3-audi-80-90-coupe-quattro-i5-20v-improved.html

only other weak point is the idle control valve (there are 2 versions) and distributor drive gear.

034motorsport was founded around these cars... call them if you get `stuck` on finding parts or solutions. 034...it's even stamped on the engine block block ;)

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
Is it just me or are none of the pictures working?

I didn't catch this thread earlier in the year and would love to see this!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
About those injectors.. DO NOT even waste your time on Hitachi injectors!!! rebuild, balance, repair, recondition, new old stock... all garbage.
Just get these and be done forever and be happy with how much better the car runs:

https://store.034motorsport.com/audi-7a-efi-injector-adapter-kit-for-b3-audi-80-90-coupe-quattro-i5-20v-improved.html

only other weak point is the idle control valve (there are 2 versions) and distributor drive gear.

034motorsport was founded around these cars... call them if you get `stuck` on finding parts or solutions. 034...it's even stamped on the engine block block ;)
Thank you! New coupe has 034 stuff already in it, we updated a bunch of things in the engine bay so it is running mint!

Is it just me or are none of the pictures working?

I didn't catch this thread earlier in the year and would love to see this!
I'll get some pics in later today :)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
swapped the wheels back to OEM ones..

slowly gathering little pieces and trim to keep going, always something to do!

In the meantime, also working on taking care of rust and cleaning the body up, thats the next big step coming :beer:

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
Nice, it is looking good. The wheels you had on were nice, but those original ones really look good.

There's always something going on, and they are a work in progress! Where's the rust on yours?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Nice, it is looking good. The wheels you had on were nice, but those original ones really look good.

There's always something going on, and they are a work in progress! Where's the rust on yours?
Thank you! Mostly front end, fenders and hood getting some surface rust going. Also want to sand down front bumper just years of wear and tear and the bumper surround is red lol. Then the rockers as well sand down hit it with rocker guard and be good to go.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts