VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4
26,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like old trucks. I'll see where this goes.

I just scored this 1995 Suburban. It's a West Coast Truck, so no rust on the sheet metal other than a small spot on the hood. There is some rust on the frame. 4X4, 3 row seats, all the bells and whistles and a 6.5 diesel V8.

I had it towed home. The entire engine bay was packed with pine needles and pine cones. When the tow truck pulled the Suburban on the flatbed, a chipmunk ran away from the engine bay. Once I got the Suburban is home, I cleaned all the pine needles in the engine bay. There is some left in the frame rail which I'll deal with later. Found out there is another chipmunk living in the engine bay. I tried to chase the darn bugger a few times but he always comes back.

"Ran Whan Parked" Yeah, the Suburban was parked for 18 months and the seller told me it ran when he parked it because of a massive fuel leak in the back and he didn't have time to deal with it. Two new AGM batteries, I primed the fuel filter, and sure enough, the truck started right away. He was right. I have to remove the fuel tank to inspect everything.

So far I spent about 12 hours cleaning the interior, and I'm not done yet. Light Grey cloth seats and carpets have about 26 years of dirt and grime accumulated. I have a steam cleaner, a Bissell extractor and a bunch of burshes. Lots of scrubby scrub scrub fun ahead.

I can't wait to drive this beast around. It's not small.

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4
26,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
GMT400s

So far I spent about 12 hours cleaning the interior, and I'm not done yet. Light Grey cloth seats and carpets have about 26 years of dirt and grime accumulated. I have a steam cleaner, a Bissell extractor and a bunch of burshes. Lots of scrubby scrub scrub fun ahead.
Chemical guys lightning fast and a drill brush will save you a ton of elbow grease.

·
Registered
34,851 Posts
Now that's a truck. From the days when trucks were still trucks instead of luxo-barges. Even if it was considered quite luxurious in its day.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nice. Here's my old Chevy truck. Goal is to actually drive it a bit this summer. It sat out covid in a rental garage.
ooh! Love it. I have a ‘62 C10 short bed myself that is slumbering in my basement, awaiting the budget and time to get it back on the road. It hasn’t run in probably 30 years but at least it’s been garaged for the last 20+.

·
Registered
45,687 Posts
Oh, that's great! I was a bit worried the chipmunks or some other critters had gotten to the wiring harness, but it sounds like you dodged that pitfall. (y)

What are your plans and what of "trucks", as in plural? Is that your old farm beast behind it?

Now that's a truck. From the days when trucks were still trucks instead of luxo-barges. Even if it was considered quite luxurious in its day.
I love a good, simple truck. Since mine is a Ranger I suppose it's a bit out-of-place here, though. :)

ooh! Love it. I have a ‘62 C10 short bed myself that is slumbering in my basement, awaiting the budget and time to get it back on the road. It hasn’t run in probably 30 years but at least it’s been garaged for the last 20+.
Pics! We're going to need pics!

Old trucks in general are cool.

This is my life long on going project.

Back when I was a teenager it was red and on 44" tires. So its seen some stuff. haha

Currently just a street truck with a junkyard 5.3

Oh, me likey! There's nothing wrong with a good 5.3, plus you can call it a 327 if you want. :D

And I even like the color.

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4
26,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is my life long on going project.

That is a very nice truck! Love the black grill/bumper/wheels. nice blue too! 👍

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4
26,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4
26,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
What are your plans and what of "trucks", as in plural? Is that your old farm beast behind it?
Yes.

One truck. Two trucks.

The other truck is a 1966 C30.

Go figure, the FS ad is still up...

The tires are now dry rotted. It need tires. It stil has the OG split rims, so it need wheels too. Six of everything.

·
Registered
45,687 Posts
I have no use for it, but I really like that farm truck! A seat cover and a good cleaning and that interior is "done" unless you're planning on doing a restoration. It's in amazing condition given its use as a real farm truck. (y)

I don’t have anything particularly interesting to share but here are a couple images.

View attachment 97703

View attachment 97704
Oh, dude. That thing is sweeeeeeet. I'm super jealous and I wouldn't even change the color. It gives it a really good feel for the period and intentions of trucks like that. I love modernized vintage trucks too, but that looks like a time capsule. :love:

·
Registered
5,295 Posts

·
Registered
E39 M5, E46 325i Touring, F30 328dX Touring
3,918 Posts
i love old chevy trucks. I am trying to pressure my uncle into selling his '95 Chevy Silverado to me when the time comes. only has 115k miles.

I just hope he doesn't do what my aunt did with her early '90s Jeep Cherokee. This thing was clean, red with cloth interior, 4x4 probably only 75k miles, never saw speeds above 60mph. I offered her $5k a few years back, i guess she didn't take me seriously. She ended up selling it to a co-worker's husband or something and they trashed it within months. She regretted not selling to me, she even mentioned about gifting it to me, but she really thought I was pulling her leg when i told her i was interested.

enough story time- time to get back on the forklift.

·
Registered
45,687 Posts
You really need some updated photos of that farm truck after it has been cleaned up. It'll be great. Here are some from the ad to flesh out the thread a bit. I gotta do something because, you know, I can't post my Ford. :p

It looks like that engine would even clean up pretty well. I'd pull the intake and valve covers, paint the engine in situ, properly prep and paint the manifold and VCs, get a high temp coating on those ram's horn exhaust manifolds, and detail the air filter and compartment as best I could. Not concours, but clean and painted. It'd look killer. :)

It even looks like the rockers would clean up pretty well.

After the initial cleanup that probably made the biggest difference on my truck. Instead of the expected crappy looking thresholds mine were relatively clean and fresh looking. At least for a 29 year old truck with the purpose of being an old beater truck, anyway. Obviously I still have a ways to go, but it's good enough for now while I finish sorting the mechanicals. Sorry, there are no "before" pics when it was pretty gross, but suffice to say it's a pretty remarkable change.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
I can't say I had an appreciation for it at the time, but I really miss all the different colors and patterns of cloth upholstery in cars from the '80s and '90s.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Oh, dude. That thing is sweeeeeeet. I'm super jealous and I wouldn't even change the color. It gives it a really good feel for the period and intentions of trucks like that. I love modernized vintage trucks too, but that looks like a time capsule. :love:
Thanks. It‘s another “farm truck” of sorts—belonged to my grandfather, who was the 2nd owner. He bought it when it was just a couple years old, so it’s been In the family for almost its entire life. It was never garaged until I got it, but it was always parked under the canopy of a huge tree—it might as well have been in a carport.

It has the stock 235ci stove-bolt 6 with the 3-on-the-tree manual. My plan has been to keep the stock drivetrain and maybe hotrod it a little with period-correct parts (split headers, etc.) just to make it sound a little better, and I want to lower it a little (since 2wd), clean it up, refresh the interior, replace the bed wood, and just drive it. It’s too original and has too much history to LS-swap it or anything as cliched as that, at least as it sits right now—but if I can get it reliably road-worthy, I’ll be happy.

Overall it’s in really solid shape. It has the usual door bottom rot, thin floorboards, and a little surface rust, but beyond that it’s just the “little bit of everything” that’s overwhelmed me so far…haven’t decided where I need to start, so it’s just been sitting while life goes by. Needs a clutch, brakes, suspension, tires, battery, gas tank, hoses, belts, etc…but the bones are in great shape.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts