VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My driv side auto seatbelt is flippin out!!! It moves back and forth while i am driving *very scary

Errr... i meant drivers side!!
Like it says above, my drivers side seatbelt moves back and forth, sometimes almost all the way back to the front, then stops and comes back. Then it will stutter at the back of its track (as if it were locked) clicking in and out and in...
It really scares me because sometimes it seems like it happens when i press the brakes, or when i slow down.
I am thinking a loose wire or something? maybe a bad connection in the door latch?
Because each time i thought my door wasnt closed. So i would open it, and close it hard and it would stop for a bit. But a few mins later it would go at it again.
What the hell is going on?
Thanks
TC

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Re: My driv side auto seatbelt is flippin out!!! It moves back and forth while i am ... (sivart321)

You're lucky, sometime both of mine moves back and forth while I'm driving. Talk about a safety issue. Anyways I pretty sure my problem is the ignition switch. Since only one side moves weird on yours, perhaps it's the door switch. Clean up any corrosion and see if that helps. Hey at least the driver (you) are protected.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: My driv side auto seatbelt is flippin out!!! It moves back and forth while i am ... (green_slc)

Quote, originally posted by green_slc »

Hey at least the driver (you) are protected.

But i am not!! I mis-typed that. The DRIVERS side does it!!
It is really scary. Ill take a look at it tomorrow.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Re: My driv side auto seatbelt is flippin out!!! It moves back ... (Milkysunshine)

HHAHA, sorry man don't mean to laugh, but when I read this I couldn't help it... You might just want to pull the fuse and always keep you latches in the back positon, then you can just pull the buckler up to you...

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: My driv side auto seatbelt is flippin out!!! It moves back ... (Milkysunshine)

Quote, originally posted by Milkysunshine »
time for manuals

Thats what i am thinking...
Finally a real excuse to buy em...

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Re: My driv side auto seatbelt is flippin out!!! It moves back ... (sivart321)

I tink VW should buy every corrado owner a full set of manuals. trim and everything. this is FAR more unsafe than a leaking heater core!

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
Re: My driv side auto seatbelt is flippin out!!! It moves back ... (kevwithoutacorrado)

if your belts fail, VW built in a B pillar mount. Pry the rectangular cover off and flip out the reciever. The shoulder belt will snap in.
When both are freaking out, it's more than likely the ignition switch. Push in on the key and it should stop moving.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: My driv side auto seatbelt is flippin out!!! It moves back ... (cramer)

This morning i turned the key to the on position, closed the door and let it come back... then i YANKED the damn relay and motor connector out!!
HAH! Take that stupid seatbelts!!
Now, time to contact Niko about some manual seatbelts

Ill probably fix the problem in the meantime...
And a side note... when my seatbelts BROKE the first time (motor gear stripped) I called VWOA and they said they would "cover all the costs"
So i took it to a dealer to get the estimate and have the work done. The dealer quotes me aprox $2300 for both sides!! I call VWOA, and they tell me they will pay for 1/2 the cost of parts. WTF! They told me before they would cover ALL costs!! ( I would have filed a lawsuit, as I did have the original ladies name and she did in fact verify that is what the first lady told me, but in fact she was incorrect.) In reality, all VWOA associates who handle these types of claims have the ability to approve any type of claim. She did, and I should have gotten my seatbelts replaced!!
Oh well... i ended up buying two used motors, and got the seatbelts to work (for a while at least) for under $30 and an hour of work... Stupid VWOA

Modified by sivart321 at 7:23 PM 7-1-2003

1 - 9 of 9 Posts