·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guy's
im jake from the uk,
my car is a uk passat b5.5 estate
here's the car

my kit is a mix n match kit as im in the uk, im not as open to the glorious products in the uk,
i intend to do fbss-controlled for now off trigger switches
so far i have a dc5000 compressor, two 3 gal tanks joined as one, this came with the comp, but i also have a 5 gal to use,
which would you say were better?
the valves that came are cne ones, with three wires inside, but they have been cut that short i need to rebuild them

i opened on, and i have two red + wires to one pin and the other in black -, why are there two wires to the one pin? can i not get away with one wire? or do they require a second source??
my rear bags are on the way, i already have brackets fabbed for theose, and the fronts im hoping to get soon.

jake

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Re: (Grig85)

I would use the single 5gal tank. With one compressor and two tanks you will have to have the tanks connected by a line to even out pressures. It will be much easier to wire/hose up one single tank.
If you had two compressors I'd say run the 3s. You could then break the car in half running left side on one tank/compressor and so on.
Looks good can't wait to see how it comes along. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i did think it wa wierd having two small tanks, umm will have to see as the 5 gal, is actually a workshop style compressor tank, which would require drilling and tapping i think...
just looking for a pressure switch and then a water trap, and i think im good to go
jake

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i have cleaned up the valves and ptfe taped then all back up, added my new fixings,
tommorrow i will wire them up and try to start mounting everything roughly where it should be,
then its a case of taking live feeds etc,
jake

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
these are the valves and my manifold,

i have some more bits on order, pressure switch, water trap, wires and fuses.
can i use the remote wire from my amp to trigger the compressor relay????

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: my passat build, slowly starting (cuprajake)

had a quick look and play at dinner,
it looks like the 5 gal tank is going to be a perfect fit,
heres the boot, im going to be doing something with the subs too,

then the boot layout im thinking off

so im fairly happy with that, im going to make brackets to secure the tank, then i have started making a loom for the valves, whilst still trying to keep it tidy lol

Modified by cuprajake at 1:14 PM 2-26-2009

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well done some more today,
painted the tank this morning, then at dinner i wired all the powers and earths up to everything,
my fuse holder also came in,
so my setup is:
4 gauge from battery to a 60amp fuse, this then goes to the boot to another fuse block, this splits the power one (20 amp for the audio) and then the other (60 amp ) for the air ride stuff.
the remote wire from the headunit is ised to turn on two relays, one powers the amps back up, and the other now gives power to the air ride setup( didtribution block)
the valves are into the block and have their own fuse.
the compressor is on a switch at the moment for testing as i am waiting for the pressure switch, to turn it on/off
the earths go to a central block earthed to the boot,
thats about as far as i can go now, i have done a small test and have one leak i can see off, but until my bags come next week all i can do is plub gauges in now
pic

jake

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i know, budget system, and crappy pics,
looks alot better now the tank is blacked.
the wires are all going into a harness too.
gotta start somewhere,
eventually i want an electronic management system, but that wll have to wait till after i get wed

jake

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
more developments,
the guy still hasn't sent the rears from his shop, over a week since i ordered!
the pressure swithc and trap should be monday,
i have a small leak somewhere, i think its the manifold,
the first phase was just to see if it all worked lol, which it does, i can now go about tidying it up,
also had a though lastnight, im going to change the relay trip wire from the headunit to accesory wire, as if i leave my headunit at home the air wont work lol
jake

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
FV-QR

if i read it right you have a 4 gauge power wire running to the back with a 60 amp fuse. then it splits with a 20 amp fuse to the audion and a 60 amp to the air ride. either the main fuse needs to be bigger, or the air ride fuse needs to be smaller.right now you have a 60amp fuse protecting 80amps of fuses. it doesnt work that way.
on my set up i have 4 gauge as well with a 150 amp fuse. i have i have one fuse of 80 amps to cover 2 compressors. a 10 amp to cover the management, and a 40 to cover to all the audio. total of 130 amp.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
pressure switch finally came in, so thats fitted, but i need to adjust it so it cuts off at the right pressure, im still waiting on the rear bags, spoke to the guy on monday and he said id have them for weekend, nearly two weeks now, surprised he's still in business
jake

·
Banned
1,165 Posts
Re: (cuprajake)

i dunno, 5 gals just didnt seem like enough capacity when i started, so i upped to dual 3's. **** i'd do dual 5's if i could do it again (i guess i can i'm jsut too lazy)
if yours is fwd, the rears are retarded simple. the fronts need a little bit of thought to get low. you'll need a decent amount of travel for it to be worthwhile too.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Re: ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »
i dunno, 5 gals just didnt seem like enough capacity when i started, so i upped to dual 3's. **** i'd do dual 5's if i could do it again (i guess i can i'm jsut too lazy)
if yours is fwd, the rears are retarded simple. the fronts need a little bit of thought to get low. you'll need a decent amount of travel for it to be worthwhile too.

I agree 5 gals isnt trully enough, but if you can fit it flush in the spare tire tub I wouldnt think of adding another tank or bigger tank. I wish I could fit my 5 gal flush like this

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the original set up had two small 3 gals welded together, i could add this into the system but dont know ??
im not after super fast movement etc, hell i dont even do many miles haha
the backs should be here soon, so that will be done first,
the wheels are 19" et is about 35 i do have room, but doubt i can tuck the tyre, my friends car hits the ground before the chassi !!!!
any help with the fronts would be good though, im currently on coilovers too
jake

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.