VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
14,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I listen to something with a wee bit of bass on my Monsooon system in my '02 GTI the passenger door will occasionaly buzz. It's not the speaker (because it doesn't happen on the driver's side) and if I lean over and grab the door handle and pull it towards me it goes away. So obviously my door is buzzing. Should I take this in to the dealer or do you think they'll just tell me to turn down the bass? Anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Re: My Passenger Door Panel Buzzes! (hawc)

May also want to check your lockpins. The pressure you are exerting on the door when you mess with the handle may be enough to silence the lockpin. I only say this 'cos both of my rear lockpins vibrate like crazy, and it sounds like something in the door, but when I hold them down (lite pressure), the buzzing stops.
I have no solution for this yet. No one else that I have spoken to about it had any suggestions.
Just something else to check.
HTH

·
Registered
1,587 Posts

Mine does the same occassionally.
It also goes away if you hold the edge of the storage bin.
Kind of annoying but will live with it unless it gets worse. Having the dealer (any dealer) remove door panels on a car always messes something up. I worked at a couple in service and only Porsches were ok after messing with them.
I am thinking of some kind of relatively inexpensive bass alternative for the trunk but I haven't found anything on the forums yet as I have Monsoon and don't want to replace it. Sticking to spending any spare money on performance mods.

·
Banned
14,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: My Passenger Door Panel Buzzes! (UKAUSSI)

quote:[HR][/HR]Having the dealer (any dealer) remove door panels on a car always messes something up. I worked at a couple in service and only Porsches were ok after messing with them.
[HR][/HR]​
yeah, I'm afraid to have the dealer take the door apart I worry they'll just make things worse.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts

mine did the same when i just had the monsoon system... its the outer edge of the pocket... if you keep something in there (like a cd holder, one of the zip up ones) it wont buzz.. someone put a nerf football in thiers to keep pressure on it.. once i got a sub i was able to crossover the front speakers and they have no bass in them, so the door doesnt buzz in my car, + i have the afore mentioned cd holder in there...

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Re: My Passenger Door Panel Buzzes! (turborave)

I have the same problem. Am going to try and put something soft in there to see if the pressure will eliminate the buzzing. Good thought.

·
Registered
83 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Mine does the same occassionally.
It also goes away if you hold the edge of the storage bin.
Kind of annoying but will live with it unless it gets worse. [HR][/HR]​
I've the exact same problem!
I also have considered taking it to the dealer... but I'm thinking I'm just going to stick a piece of dynamat on the inside of each storage bin.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]..... once i got a sub i was able to crossover the front speakers and they have no bass in them, so the door doesnt buzz in my car, + i have the afore mentioned cd holder in there...[HR][/HR]​
What setup do you have ? I am not a big audiophile (although I can solder and rewire etc..) but would just like to take the bass away from the front like you have.
I would greatly appreciate the help as it would save me a HUGE amount of time figuring it out myself and would gladly return the favor.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts

i have a sony mobile ES head unit that has built in variable low/high crossover. 1 12" JL audio sub in a ported box (the woofer itself is behind plexi) and a Alpine V12 amp running the sub. the amp gets its signal from the sub RCA's from the head unit. i had everything installed at Tweeter (used to be Bryn Mawr). the monsoon amp still runs the door speakers. the aftermarket head unit makes a big difference with the monsoon set up...

·
Banned
4,768 Posts

So, we all have another problem the dealer can't fix. I thought I was the only one with the passenger door rattle caused by the edge of the map pocket. Looks like the best fix so far is to put something in it like I have since I got my car. The car is going in tomorrow for the 10K service. I was going to mention it since I am going to Dwight Harrison instead of Jim Ellis, so we'll see where I get. I let everyone know what they say tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Re: My Passenger Door Panel Buzzes! (VDUBBINDizzy)

ha, they'll just tell you to turn the bass down
.. i wonder if non monsoon's buzz the same?

·
Registered
344 Posts

Haha ... I have the same problem! (Thanks to VWvortex for uniting us!)
I haven't tried putting something in that bin, but I will when I find something suitable. I DID take it to the dealer and the tech mgr there said it might just be the limitation of the system; I'm not buying that explanation!

·
Registered
180 Posts

I have the exact same problem on my '01 GTI w/ Monsoon. I just bought a Bentley manual so I can properly open up my door and figure out what is making all that damned noise. I seriously can't handle the noise, it's destroying my music and making me very angry. I can't help but think this would not be happening if I had purchased a Honda instead... Oh well, I'm stuck with my GTI for another 3 years until I pay off my loan.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the same problem with my 01 GTI! I always thought it was the little plastic lights on the doors though. When I push on that light, the buzzing stops. Do you just stuff something inside that storage pocket on the door? If so I'm heading to toys r us to pick up a nerf ball at lunch! I HATE that buzzing!!! I thought I had blown my woofers at first but its that stupid door. I even had the dealership look at it when I took my car in, they tried to make it quieter but it didn't really fix it.
I would caution you about taking the door apart. I took one of mine apart, and it's a miracle that none of the damage i did is TOO visible. The entire door is made of this really soft plastic, so its really easy to destroy the handle while trying to remove it. The whole door is put together in a way that makes it almost impossible to disassemble without breaking it. I'm kinda worried about what might happen if i try to get the stereo upgraded.

[Modified by Justin_In_SanDiego, 10:38 AM 11-28-2001]

·
Registered
19 Posts

thanks for describing your setup. i'm having the same passenger's side buzz on my 2002 passat; it was there when i had the factory HU in and still there with the Blaupunkt San Jose (which was a no-brainer to install with crutchfield's harness kit, in case anyone's wondering, and it's a pretty sweet HU, plays mp3 and wma formats in addition to regular cd's.), no matter how i futz with the settings. Although aside from the buzz, the sound is much improved over the factory HU. Anyway, the San Jose has sub preamp outputs and now i know what to do with them, thanks to your very clear explanation.
quote:[HR][/HR]i have a sony mobile ES head unit that has built in variable low/high crossover. 1 12" JL audio sub in a ported box (the woofer itself is behind plexi) and a Alpine V12 amp running the sub. the amp gets its signal from the sub RCA's from the head unit. i had everything installed at Tweeter (used to be Bryn Mawr). the monsoon amp still runs the door speakers. the aftermarket head unit makes a big difference with the monsoon set up...[HR][/HR]​

·
Banned
14,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: My Passenger Door Panel Buzzes! (sinthome)

The more I think about it the more it really pisses me off.

I can't believe we all have the same problem. If the passenger door buzzes for all of us it means that VW designed it wrong. They should recall them and fix them for free. Add that to the fact that we're all afraid to let the dealer try and fix it because they'll just make it worse.... that's messed up.
This problem is seriously compromising my enjoyment of the Monsoon stereo. Something I paid $1400CDN for (as part of the luxury package) I want this fixed. I'm thinking about printing off this entire thread and writing a letter to VW.

·
Registered
22,003 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]and if I lean over and grab the door handle and pull it towards me it goes away.
[HR][/HR]​
same damn thing..

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Re: My Passenger Door Panel Buzzes! (sinthome)

quote:[HR][/HR]thanks for describing your setup. i'm having the same passenger's side buzz on my 2002 passat; it was there when i had the factory HU in and still there with the Blaupunkt San Jose (which was a no-brainer to install with crutchfield's harness kit, in case anyone's wondering, and it's a pretty sweet HU, plays mp3 and wma formats in addition to regular cd's.), no matter how i futz with the settings. Although aside from the buzz, the sound is much improved over the factory HU. Anyway, the San Jose has sub preamp outputs and now i know what to do with them, thanks to your very clear explanation.[HR][/HR]​
however, after i put the sub in the trunk, the rear deck (parcel shelf) vibrated so bad you could actually SEE it jump up and down... i had to remove it, get some foam and pad the bottom of it and stuff foam around the edges after i put it back in to get rid of that rattle. obviously thats alot easier than taking apart the door. the rear deck in the jetta comes off very easily.

[Modified by turborave, 2:37 PM 11-29-2001]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts