VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought this Helios from a guy who bought the car for the seats, cluster and wheels. Shell is trashed, every panel is dented or rusted, so its not worth fixing. But its not quite ready to be parted out yet either.
So my plan take this and make it to a crazy ice auto crossing machine. Yup that's right for all you southern boys, up here in the north country our lake freeze thick enough to drive cars on.
When I picked it up.

At home waiting to be torn apart.

First thing I did was strip the interior.

In the process of stripping the inteior. I found this in the pile of paper work that came with the car.

Cool piece of paper that some Helios collector will own eventually.
So I've spent yesterday and today working on the beast. I'll get more pictures up once my camera battery charges.
But I've got all the interior out other then the dash. I borrowed a ce2 cluster, scrounged up some front seats, dug out an old schroth 3 point harness and the got the interior ready for business.
Between a parts corrado and the helios it looks like I should be able make working rear discs. And I got a guy who has a set of 9's I can run on the fronts. So I should be set for brakes (needed 9's to clear my 13 tires).
Now I just have to put in some injector seals, check the tranny fluid and make some test drives up and down the street.
More pictures to come of the work. And of course pictures of the racing as well. Now I have to get back out to the garage.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Re: My Plan for this sad beat Helios. (wolfy19)

in the future, you'll regret having done this to limited production car. i say, keep that VIN alive, get another bucket for ice racing. but hey its your car, man. that car just doesn't look like its beyond restoring.

·
Registered
9,929 Posts
Re: My Plan for this sad beat Helios. (under the radar)

really doesn't look bad at all

·
Registered
46,359 Posts

sounds like a blast

·
Registered
171 Posts
Re: My Plan for this sad beat Helios. (uberbaron)

sucks too see such a rare car goo to **** but it appears too be about time you cant save everything these days especially around these parts up north with salt and snow

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote, originally posted by under the radar »
in the future, you'll regret having done this to limited production car. i say, keep that VIN alive, get another bucket for ice racing. but hey its your car, man. that car just doesn't look like its beyond restoring.

The pictures make it look nicer then it is in real life.
Driver's door is pushed in a few inches
Every panel has rust or dents
Windshield is cracked
Lots of rust under the windshield in the cowl area
Pictures from earlier in the day before I vaccuumed it out.

Been doing the old bucket for driver's seat routine.

Got the trunk all gutted of the carpet. Trunk had a bunch of super fine sand in it.

Some of the white in the carpet is sand, but I think most of it is mold.
Today I got the following done:
Got the cluster installed
Got a rocco passenger seat installed
Got a mk2 8V GTI seat for a drivers seat
Got the 3 point harness installed
Got most of the rear discs sorted, I'm going to order new ebrake cables
Got the battery bolted in vs just sitting on the tray
Wrapped the red colored negative battery in some electrical tape, so it looks black
Pulled the injectors, which turned into pulling the lower manifold because one of the injectors o rings stayed in the manifold and that pulled the hat off and I was afraid it would drop into the head if I tried to fish it out
Pulled AC compressor and lines.
Plans for tomorrow:
New injector seals
Clean the injectors
Reinstall the lower manifold
Order/find ebrake cables
Remove front brakes and spindles
Hey does anyone know the length for the alternator belt when its in the stock spot, but with the 8V pulley on it? I need to get one of those as well.

·
Registered
12 Golf 2.5, 99.5 Cabrio GLS
48,011 Posts
Re: My Plan for this sad beat Helios. (20V'er)

I used a 42" belt, but it was tough to get on when new, and has since stretched enough that it's loose even though the alt is fully tight. I might end up notching the alt bracket to allow for some more adjustment.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Re: My Plan for this sad beat Helios. (VDub2625)

"Home" has a two post lift....now thats tight http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
245 Posts
Re: My Plan for this sad beat Helios. (Dave926)

why dont u sell the car to someone who will restore it? unless theres frame damage anything can be restored. my gti has rust under the windshield and a big rusty crack under the drivers side floor and that doesnt stop me from keep it.

·
Registered
12 Golf 2.5, 99.5 Cabrio GLS
48,011 Posts
Re: My Plan for this sad beat Helios. (mk3Wolfy)

Some people just don't think it's worth it. i would personally not consider a vehicle with that kind of rust. My current car needs some work (the driver's door was hit years ago, and it's slightly out of line), and it bothers me.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Re: (h20pologuy05)

Nice garage! From what I've seen of ice racing, it looks like a blast. Have fun with it. Sad to see another Helios go though.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Re: My Plan for this sad beat Helios. (VDub2625)

Quote, originally posted by VDub2625 »
Some people just don't think it's worth it. i would personally not consider a vehicle with that kind of rust. My current car needs some work (the driver's door was hit years ago, and it's slightly out of line), and it bothers me.

yeah i understand what u mean... i wouldnt buy that car for a project since i wouldnt be able to afford the bodywork that car needs.

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: My Plan for this sad beat Helios. (mk3Wolfy)

Trust me guy's that are all worked up about wrecking a rareish car. You would be thousands of dollars ahead and hundreds maybe even thousands of hours ahead to start with a clean shell and spray it blue. And if the fact that the VIN wouldn’t be a real Helios, look at what some of the fake muscle cars still bring in for price.
That or I’ll sell you a rolling Helios shell when I’m done with it. The racing isn’t door to door, just timed events on a 2-3 mile track and then some driving practice areas. So unless I put the thing on the roof or fall through the ice, it will be just as savable when I’m done with it.

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: My Plan for this sad beat Helios. (20V'er)

Today's progress:
Ordered ebrake cables
Ordered injector seals
Ordered a spare set of axles (not going to install them, but I didn't want to break one and then be SOL).
Stopped at a buddy's shop and cleaned my injectors
Removed the injector seats from the lower manifold
Rebuilt most of the motor side shift linkage
Installed short shifter and mk3 shift weight
Tighten up tranny mount
Removed the 10.1's
Removed the 11's from the parts Corrado
Removing the brakes and spindles on 2 cars both with ripped CV boots sucked. Lots of grease cover parts and tools to clean up.
Tomorrow's plan of attack:
Install ebrake cables
Remove ebrake ratchet/lock so that its just the lever
Hopefully get the 9" brakes picked up and installed
Check tranny fluid.
Pick up alternator belt and install.
Remove upper T belt cover and visually check t belt.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts